Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist: Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
So players should be able to skate around with the puck oblivious to any danger they are putting themselves in and NOT get hit?

They should not have to worry about a guy flying across the ice to throw a high hit at them, no.

Honestly, take the pads away. We will see how much of a hurry Wilson will be to run around like he does. You miss old school hockey from the 70s, they did not wear this equipment. Christ, most didn't even wear helmets I don't think :laugh:

Take the equipment away and keep hitting. Problem solved.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
How many of those hits are actually dirty? Two, maybe three? I realize they are pretty rare now, but just because somebody gets burried doesn’t mean it was dirty, or even a penalty... and just because it’s a penalty doesn’t make it dirty.
There are big hits and there is what Wilson looks for.

Reactions: BillPrep and ETA

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
For the Caps sake I hope he gets 10+ games, he's one of our best two way players and he plays on the first line, we don't need this crap from him. I prefer he just stop making these big hits all together, hittings not that important if you keep f***ing them up.

It also ruins a hockey game when someones brain gets scrambled.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
For the Caps sake I hope he gets 10+ games, he's one of our best two way players and he plays on the first line, we don't need this crap from him. I prefer he just stop making these hits all together, hittings not that important if you keep ****ing them up.

It also ruins a hockey game when someones brain gets scrambled.
There have been a few Caps fans, such as yourself, who can look at it objectively.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
There have been a few Caps fans, such as yourself, who can look at it objectively.

I think most fans are starting to turn on Wilson for this hit.

Wilson gets a lot of shitty calls against him and so Caps fans get defensive, but at this point he's making things much worse for himself and the Caps.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

Wilson gets a lot of ****ty calls against him and so Caps fans get defensive, but at this point he's making things much worse for himself and the Caps.

There are a lot of players in this league who play physical, but the only two guys in this league I legitimately worry will seriously injure a guy are Wilson and Roussel.

Wilson should look at the way DSP plays. That is a clean hard hitting player.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

The consensus in the Caps forum is that this was a dirty hit and Wilson needs to clean up his act. It's not much of an argument over there.

I've seen dozens of fans of other teams on the main boards making misrepresentations about what Caps fans are saying, and like your post, the quotations are noticeably absent.

Reactions: ETA

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
There are a lot of players in this league who play physical, but the only two guys in this league I legitimately worry will seriously injure a guy are Wilson and Roussel.

Wilson should look at the way DSP plays. That is a clean hard hitting player.
I'm not sure about that, when he's not winning Stanley Cups, the man's a bit lazy

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
The consensus in the Caps forum is that this was a dirty hit and Wilson needs to clean up his act. It's not much of an argument over there.

I've seen dozens of fans of other teams on the main boards making misrepresentations about what Caps fans are saying, and like your post, the quotations are noticeably absent.

Well then it is the vocal minority.

There are people using airplane safety as comparables ffs

There isn't 40 pages of people agreeing.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin is paid to score goals and Wilson is paid to disable his opponents via injury, anyone who thinks otherwise is naive or a Caps fanboy that will chime in in 3,2,1 (to rave about his offensive prowess)....

Tom Wilson had 5 goals/15 points in 21 playoff games last season. Those are far from goon numbers. Crosby won a Conn Smythe with similar offensive production to that.

If I'm the Capitals organization. I am asking Wilson to build on that, and stop the dirty hits.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I'm not sure about that, when he's not winning Stanley Cups, the man's a bit lazy

Style of physical play. He plays clean and he levels people.

I'm not sure what the lazy label is because I have never had him on a team I support so I don't know.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Well then it is the vocal minority.

There are people using airplane safety as comparables ffs

There isn't 40 pages of people agreeing.

Yeah you're just plain wrong. The people defending the hit are largely not Caps fans. 40 pages of thread isn't evidence for your claim.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
So players should be able to skate around with the puck oblivious to any danger they are putting themselves in and NOT get hit?

Did I say that players should never be hit? I said the exact opposite, but sweet strawman bro. If by "NOT get hit" you mean "NOT get smoked with a head shot" then yes, players should be able to skate around with the puck oblivious to head hunting in the same way that players should be able to skate with their eyes glued to the ice and not expect to get clipped.

Reactions: Riptide and ETA

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
From whatever suspension comes, it should be noted that the signing bonus money cannot be touched by DOPS. Whatever money is taken is games/82 times the salary...but most of Wilson's contract is bonus money.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
From whatever suspension comes, it should be noted that the signing bonus money cannot be touched by DOPS. Whatever money is taken is games/82 times the salary...but most of Wilson's contract is bonus money.
Is that true? That doesn't seem right to me.

Source?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

That would be incorrect. Signing bonus money is forfeited.
18.15 Forfeiture of Compensation Upon Suspension. The amount of compensation that will be forfeited by the Player upon suspension shall be calculated on the following basis:

(a) for "first" offenders (first incident requiring Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct in the form of a game suspension determined pursuant to Section 18.15(d)), Player to
forfeit one (1) day's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonuses, but not including Performance Bonuses, for each Regular Season Game lost (1/total number of days in the season measured
from the date of the League's first Regular Season Game to the last, irrespective of the Player's team's schedule);

(b) for "repeat" offenders (second or more incidents requiring game suspension determined pursuant to Section 18.15(d)), Player to forfeit one (1) NHL Game's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonuses, but not including Performance Bonuses, for each Regular Season Game lost (1/number of Regular Season Games for each Regular Season Game suspended);

(c) Player Salary and Bonuses forfeited due to a suspension will be calculated based on a Player's Averaged Amount, as defined in Article 50 of this Agreement; and

(d) status as a "first" or "repeat" offender shall be re-determined every eighteen (18) months on a rolling basis. For example, where a Player is suspended for the first time, he
becomes a repeat offender if he is suspended again within eighteen (18) months of the first incident. If he does not have another suspension within eighteen (18) months of the first incident, his next suspension will be treated as a "first" offense.

Since the forfeiture rule uses AAV rather than actual salary that means Wilson would forfeit $5,166,666 / 82 for each game of a suspension. Or $63,008 per game.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

Wilson gets a lot of ****ty calls against him and so Caps fans get defensive, but at this point he's making things much worse for himself and the Caps.
I think what gets him even worse off is publicly complaining about how hes a victim in regards to calls, he did that in the playoffs didn't he? He can't possibly be at fault, right? lol

Reactions: ETA

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I think what gets him even worse off is publicly complaining about how hes a victim in regards to calls, he did that in the playoffs didn't he? He can't possibly be at fault, right? lol
To be fair to him on that one, he gets some shockers against him, '2 minutes for being Tom Wilson' seems to now a legitimate penalty. Not that that takes away from this hit being pretty bad.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
To be fair to him on that one, he gets some shockers against him, '2 minutes for being Tom Wilson' seems to now a legitimate penalty. Not that that takes away from this hit being pretty bad.
Marchand gets the same thing. When you play the game like that, you don't get the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: BillPrep

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That's the point though, I think he might have gotten away with less than 6 normally. His history seems at play here.

Of course it is. Odds are if this was anyone else, he wouldn't be getting 5+ games. But it's not anyone else - it's Wilson. Someone who was suspended last preseason, and then early last season, and then after 2 dirty headshots that the league looked at, he was suspended a 3rd time when the very next game he went and hit Zach Austin Reese. Ths will be the 6th hit the league has looked at (at least - could be even higher) in the past 53 weeks. Of course he's going to get a stiffer punishment then if it was some Joe Blow who didn't have that very recent history.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'm not a child. I might sound like it, but it's only because English is my 3rd language. I wonder why it's hard to guess why I don't like Blues? Already forgot Kempny? And no, I would still try to explain why Wilson's style of play cannot be 100% safe, no matter against who. I watch Caps for 10+ years, so it's obvious that Im a little bit biased fan.
My mistake, I thought he was quoting the canucks fan with the backwards name.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yes you can pass up a hit if it isn't safe to do so. Anytime a player is in a venerable position you have the obligation to not hit them. If you choose to make the hit and they get hurt, you will be suspended.

Sundqvist wasn't so 'venerable' to the point that no one could hit him. You just don't come in like a freight train looking to murder him. Slow down, be in control and make sure you don't miss the f***ing shoulder. Wilson didn't slow down, wasn't in control, he still went high and he ended up missing the shoulder, and thus he will rightfully be suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad