Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist: Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It’s funny, I looked at how he spun and thought that was evidence that he got a big chunk of body instead of just head....

If he'd gotten a big chunk of the body, he wouldn't have spun, but have flopped backwards or Wilson would have stood him up. Wilson only catching part of the body would force it to spin.

Take a book out put it flat on the counter and flick the very corner of it. How much does it spin? (note, if it doesn't spin at all, get a smaller/lighter book or flick it harder! :laugh:) Now do the same thing to the very middle of it... now how much does it spin? The further out from the center you get, the more spin you get.

Now look at one of the freeze images that someone took/provided from right before the hit. Sundqvist's hips are aimed more or less towards Wilson, but his upper body is angled towards the net. If Wilson is hitting right through the shoulder, it would pretty much be through Sundqvist's entire body - there's little chance of him spinning all that much. That can only happen if the body contact is minimal - that's simple physics.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
No, there’s nothing more to read into the in-person hearing then the CBA requirement that the DoPS cannot suspend a player for 5 or more games without offering the option of an in-person hearing to the player.

Suspensions of 4 or less games can be done via telephone conference calls.

That's the point though, I think he might have gotten away with less than 6 normally. His history seems at play here.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
You take this...

images

and you do this with it...

NeighboringPossibleDikkops-size_restricted.gif

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If he'd gotten a big chunk of the body, he wouldn't have spun, but have flopped backwards or Wilson would have stood him up. Wilson only catching part of the body would force it to spin.

Take a book out put it flat on the counter and flick the very corner of it. How much does it spin? (note, if it doesn't spin at all, get a smaller/lighter book or flick it harder! :laugh:) Now do the same thing to the very middle of it... now how much does it spin? The further out from the center you get, the more spin you get.

Now look at one of the freeze images that someone took/provided from right before the hit. Sundqvist's hips are aimed more or less towards Wilson, but his upper body is angled towards the net. If Wilson is hitting right through the shoulder, it would pretty much be through Sundqvist's entire body - there's little chance of him spinning all that much. That can only happen if the body contact is minimal - that's simple physics.

Is the book moving with legs spread and the weight of the book spread out unevenly? Does one leg have more weight on it? Does on leg give out before the other. Does part of the book try to adjust for balance.
It is extreamly complicated physics when dealing with moving objects. Im sure the hit was dirty but i have seen a lot of spinning involed when a person slips on ice, no contact needed.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Should be 10 games.

But Expecting NHL gonna NHL and give him 3.

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The fact it was preseason actually makes it worse. Nobody is expecting this kind of predatory hitting in exhibition games. Wtf is wrong with this guy. Who does that in a preseason game where everyone is trying not to get injured. If it was me you sit for 20 games minimum. Give him a warning that it's his last chance. Could face ban if another blatant head shot.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Ok, I did the book thing, but you need to realize that the corner of the book is actually a surrogate for the corner of a torso (commonly known as a shoulders or hips).

I would suggest you get a book and attach a head and 4 limbs. Just hit the head and see what it looks like.....

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Is the book moving with legs spread and the weight of the book spread out unevenly? Does one leg have more weight on it? Does on leg give out before the other. Does part of the book try to adjust for balance.
It is extreamly complicated physics when dealing with moving objects. Im sure the hit was dirty but i have seen a lot of spinning involed when a person slips on ice, no contact needed.

You actually get more spinning for when you hit the torso rather than limbs.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
what a POS wilson is..... it really takes some of the pleasure and enjoyment out of the Caps stanley cup win, knowing this turd also won it.

Reactions: MattMartin

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The league sends a message either way: this is unacceptable or it's open season, so watch your back.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
These are all hits or cheap shots by Wilson that could be called dirty or at least border line . He obviously doesn't learn or plan to change anything about his game. The NHL needs to do something different with Wilson. Not one player in NHL over the last few decades has this many issues.
Wennberg, Dumoulin, Zach Aston-Reese, Marchessault, Robert Thomas, Sam Blais, John Moore, Conor Sheary, Nikita Zadorov, Brian Campbell, Curtis Lazar, Lubomir Visnovsky, Brayden Schenn, Sundqvist, Cogliano, stewart. with his 4th suspension upcoming. in around 400 games that dwarfs any other player stats.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Nope. Wilson is not unique.

Wilson is 6’4 and 215 lbs. Tall yes but hardly a freak of nature.

His teammate Ovechkin is 6’3 and 239 lbs. and fast. Somehow he’s managed not to run around braining guys because of his “greater kinetic energy.”

This is about decision making. Not physics.

Ovi may not be the best comparable. He's plenty reckless with the body checks.

Sikhander

Feb 21, 2010
If this was anyone else it would be 0-2 games.

This is the type of hit the league 100% wants to get rid of. It has Savard's name written all over it.

So I believe you could not be more wrong. This would be a hefty suspension regardless of hitter. Given Wilson's history it should be longer (assuming the NHL actually does its job...).

Reactions: Owenay

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Can the folks defending Wilson explain why other players who are known for throwing hard hits, and a lot of hits, don't repeatedly throw these questionable hits?

If it's just a case of "this is what happens when you hit hard", then shouldn't a lot of the top hitters in the league constantly be hearing from the DoPS?
I dont think anyone in the league hits like Wilson. He is usually moving at a very high speed when he hits someone. Which is probably why he has no control on how he hits someone. He is totally reckless. He pretty much throws himself into every body check.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
These are all hits or cheap shots by Wilson that could be called dirty or at least border line . He obviously doesn't learn or plan to change anything about his game. The NHL needs to do something different with Wilson. Not one player in NHL over the last few decades has this many issues.
Wennberg, Dumoulin, Zach Aston-Reese, Marchessault, Robert Thomas, Sam Blais, John Moore, Conor Sheary, Nikita Zadorov, Brian Campbell, Curtis Lazar, Lubomir Visnovsky, Brayden Schenn, Sundqvist, Cogliano, stewart. with his 4th suspension upcoming. in around 400 games that dwarfs any other player stats.

How many of those hits are actually dirty? Two, maybe three? I realize they are pretty rare now, but just because somebody gets burried doesn’t mean it was dirty, or even a penalty... and just because it’s a penalty doesn’t make it dirty.

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You have to make that hit. Not how Wilson did it, but you can't pass on a hit for a guy crossing the blueline like that. But it's up to Wilson to slow down enough and to lower his shoulder enough to make a safe legal hit.

Yes you can pass up a hit if it isn't safe to do so. Anytime a player is in a venerable position you have the obligation to not hit them. If you choose to make the hit and they get hurt, you will be suspended.

Reactions: BillPrep

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
How many of those hits are actually dirty? Two, maybe three? I realize they are pretty rare now, but just because somebody gets burried doesn’t mean it was dirty, or even a penalty... and just because it’s a penalty doesn’t make it dirty.

can you read? I said they were dirty or at least border line. Look them up on you tube or wherever you will see that they are at least that. A penalty means its dirty play or against the rules. Thats the point they are pretty rare now except wilson for the most part. he doesn't not get it.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
I would love for someone to give Wilson a taste of his own medicine but in order for someone to get a concussion they need a brain and it seems quite clear that Wilson doesn't have one

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If this was anyone else it would be 0-2 games.

If it was anyone else not looking at their fourth suspension in a year (which is insane to even think about), ya it would only be a couple games.

Do people not get that you can’t just throw out this scumbags history when determining how many games he should sit?

He’s obviously too stupid to understand after the last three damn suspensions, so now you make him sit for a long ass time and maybe even someone as brain dead as Wilson might finally get it.

Probably not though, because he’s a cowardly predator.

Reactions: Riptide and ETA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad