Tom Wilson episode against the Rangers #3 (UPD: Fined $5k for roughing Buchnevich)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Is that tweet real? There's one going around twitter that the Capitals account supposedly deleted. If real, yowza. That's not going to help Wilson's suspension length.

Yes its real:

E0goTJvXEAEIEI-

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is that tweet real? There's one going around twitter that the Capitals account supposedly deleted. If real, yowza. That's not going to help Wilson's suspension length.

The one the Caps' official account tweeted out? Yup.

Then it was deleted like 10-15 mins later.

Would hope some ****head intern lost his job over that one.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Honestly with his history and how dumb that series of play was it should be the rest of the season and the playoffs for him at this point

He has his stick under the throat of a player falling to the ice while also punching him in the head, potential choking him or breaking his wind pipe. He then takes a star player (Panarin) and pulls him down by his hair potentially causing him to hit his head right off the ice.

The time for "learning" or "correction" with Wilson is gone. He sits the rest of this season and if it happens again he should get the permanent boot

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I'm a proponent of the Wilson's and Marchand's of the league. But you have to tread the line and follow the games etiquette: (1) protection around players is not equal so you need to be careful what you do to star players (2) you can't hit a vulnerable player. So yes, there are open ice hits and head shots that are worse than this, and if the player was Rooney rather than Panarin, this wouldn't be as bad. But, this is how it works and Wilson might get suspended especially after the media outcry.

Hockey is kind of great in the respect - you can square off with someone and knock his teeth out, and shake hands afterwards, but there are unwritten rules for what you do to the stars even if they bear hug you. Another issue here is NYR had no one to respond to Wilson, which actually might be to Wilsons detriment since it feels like the league needs to respond to this even more.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Make way, Caps fan coming through... nervously...

I'm going to repeat what I said on our boards: 95% of what I saw was a hockey scrum that I have absolutely no problem with. Rangers jumping on Wilson, Wilson fighting back, Caps jumping on them, and so on. It's hockey.

Wilson punching a guy on the ground, in a vulnerable position and with little ability to protect himself, I can't be cool with. Any guy doing that I can't be cool with. Crosby's done it. Price has done it. Wilson wasn't the first guy and I'm sure won't be the last – and that's not defending Wilson or lessening what happened. But the NHL needs to take a firm stance on intentionally punching guys in the head when they're vulnerable or not fighting you.

The science on the long-term consequences of repeated blows to the head and repeated concussions is grizzly. Really, really grizzly. Having had family suffer very serious degenerative brain conditions, it terrifies me for some of these guys.

Wilson is actually a great hockey player, whose rep is worse than some of the incidents he's called out for. I also don't see which rule he broke that could lead to him getting suspended. I fully expect to see him back next game.

But punching defenceless or vulnerable guys should be formally prohibited, and urgently so. You can have hard hits, you can have fights, but I just don't see a justification for saying punching a guy on the floor is just part of the game, given everything we know.
Ok, so that was the Buchnevich incident. What's your conclusion on the Panarin incident then? If you can't be cool with intentionally punching someone who is prone and defenseless on the ice, how about pulling the hair and do the can opener move on someone without a helmet, intentionally trying to drive their skull through the ice? Do you really, honestly think Wilson will be back next game?
Honestly with his history and how dumb that series of play was it should be the rest of the season and the playoffs for him at this point

He has his stick under the throat of a player falling to the ice while also punching him in the head, potential choking him or breaking his wind pipe. He then takes a star player (Panarin) and pulls him down by his hair potentially causing him to hit his head right off the ice.

The time for "learning" or "correction" with Wilson is gone. He sits the rest of this season and if it happens again he should get the permanent boot
He doesn't just pull the hair. He uses his other arm from the front to really drive the skull down, while making a pseudo judo move to make Panarin lose his balance.

Was this him gloating last night?
Yes. He seems very remorseful, doesn't he? That should really help him in his hearing. The guy couldn't feel more proud of himself. Neither can the Caps organization, apparently.

Last edited:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I am even more troubled with Wilson grabbing Panarins hair and using it to get more power in his bodyslam. If Panarins head had hit the ice first, he could be in intensive care for now...

Personally, I can't see that particular aspect in the real-time replays – and given Wilson still has his gloves on, I think it would be hard to meaningfully grip a guy's hair well enough to pull him around?

I agree that Panarin was at risk in that altercation and I'm genuinely relieved to hear he's okay (as I would be for any player), but that particular part didn't seem all that different to what I've seen a hundred times before in violent hockey scrums. We can have a conversation about where the limits should be, because I honestly think there are some issues in there that need addressing by the league, but I can't say I saw anything with Wilson and Panarin that couldn't have happened between two other heated players. But I fully appreciate I could be wrong, or missing an important video angle that others have seen.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Wilson needs to sit for a long time. Punching Buchnevich in a vulnerable position is bad enough, but trying to bodyslam a helmetless Panarin to the ice while pulling his hair (which could've resulted in a head injury if Panarin lands wrong) goes beyond hockey and into potentially assault. If Panarin lands wrong, his career - hell, his life - could be threatened.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Make way, Caps fan coming through... nervously...

I'm going to repeat what I said on our boards: 95% of what I saw was a hockey scrum that I have absolutely no problem with. Rangers jumping on Wilson, Wilson fighting back, Caps jumping on them, and so on. It's hockey.

Wilson punching a guy on the ground, in a vulnerable position and with little ability to protect himself, I can't be cool with. Any guy doing that I can't be cool with. Crosby's done it. Price has done it. Wilson wasn't the first guy and I'm sure won't be the last – and that's not defending Wilson or lessening what happened. But the NHL needs to take a firm stance on intentionally punching guys in the head when they're vulnerable or not fighting you.

The science on the long-term consequences of repeated blows to the head and repeated concussions is grizzly. Really, really grizzly. Having had family suffer very serious degenerative brain conditions, it terrifies me for some of these guys.

Wilson is actually a great hockey player, whose rep is worse than some of the incidents he's called out for. I also don't see which rule he broke that could lead to him getting suspended. I fully expect to see him back next game.

But punching defenceless or vulnerable guys should be formally prohibited, and urgently so. You can have hard hits, you can have fights, but I just don't see a justification for saying punching a guy on the floor is just part of the game, given everything we know.

The word you're looking for is "grisly", I think.

Also, there is a 1% chance Wilson escapes this latest incident without a suspension.

If the league gives him another limp-wristed slap to the wallet in the way of a CBA-mandated fine, a lot of people are going to lose their ****, and rightfully so.

Trueblue30

Jan 31, 2009
It is a normal scrum if you take out Tom Wilson from the play. His demeanor is on a different level from the other players. He looks deranged and psychotic as he goes on his rampage.

His assault on a helmetless Panarin can only be described as intent to cause severe bodily harm. He pulls him by the hair down to the ice viciously, proceeds to punch him while on the ice and then once again picks him up and attempts again to slam his unprotected face into the ice .

these are acts of a vicious violent person.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
The one the Caps' official account tweeted out? Yup.

Then it was deleted like 10-15 mins later.

Would hope some ****head intern lost his job over that one.

Interns don't run the social media accounts of major organisations anymore - it's mid to late 20-somethings with degrees in business, marketing or journalism. Which just makes it even more egregious.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
What I'm saying is I think, from memory, that would constitute roughing in the NHL rulebook. Not saying it shouldn't have broken rules, I'm just not sure if it did. That worries me tremendously for how the NHL attempts to protect players.
This would more fall under the "Aggressor" rule in the rulebook (and technically fits under fighting - which is actually, purposefully, defined very loosely).

Any way you slice it though, roughing, aggressing, fighting... those are all broken rules. This very much breaks rules.

Imo, hitting him with an aggressor would be the most effective for supplemental discipline, as this, by design, carries more weight on his record moving forward

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Interns don't run the social media accounts of major organisations anymore - it's mid to late 20-somethings with degrees in business, marketing or journalism. Which just makes it even more egregious.

In that case, I hope some mid to late 20-somethings ****head with degrees in business, marketing or journalism lost his job over that one.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It looked from one angle as if Wilson helped push Buch's head to the ice as he was already falling before punching him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad