Tom Wilson episode against the Rangers #3 (UPD: Fined $5k for roughing Buchnevich)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Make way, Caps fan coming through... nervously...

I'm going to repeat what I said on our boards: 95% of what I saw was a hockey scrum that I have absolutely no problem with. Rangers jumping on Wilson, Wilson fighting back, Caps jumping on them, and so on. It's hockey.

Wilson punching a guy on the ground, in a vulnerable position and with little ability to protect himself, I can't be cool with. Any guy doing that I can't be cool with. Crosby's done it. Price has done it. Wilson wasn't the first guy and I'm sure won't be the last – and that's not defending Wilson or lessening what happened. But the NHL needs to take a firm stance on intentionally punching guys in the head when they're vulnerable or not fighting you.

The science on the long-term consequences of repeated blows to the head and repeated concussions is grizzly. Really, really grizzly. Having had family suffer very serious degenerative brain conditions, it terrifies me for some of these guys.

Wilson is actually a great hockey player, whose rep is worse than some of the incidents he's called out for. I also don't see which rule he broke that could lead to him getting suspended. I fully expect to see him back next game.

But punching defenceless or vulnerable guys should be formally prohibited, and urgently so. You can have hard hits, you can have fights, but I just don't see a justification for saying punching a guy on the floor is just part of the game, given everything we know.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
For new readers:

upload_2021-5-3_23-9-14-gif.429413

585dyw.gif

Reactions: Dominance

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Meh. It kind of is. It's at least a big part of the game. Punch him back and move on.
The way Panarin was taken down, is not remotely a part of hockey. it was straight out criminal assault with intent to do bodily harm. Wilson straight out pulled his hair toward the ice knowing full well he was helmet-less, a head injury was a foregone conclusion, that is criminal behavior imho.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

I'm going to repeat what I said on our boards: 95% of what I saw was a hockey scrum that I have absolutely no problem with. Rangers jumping on Wilson, Wilson fighting back, Caps jumping on them, and so on. It's hockey.

Wilson punching a guy on the ground, in a vulnerable position and with little ability to protect himself, I can't be cool with. Any guy doing that I can't be cool with. Crosby's done it. Price has done it. Wilson wasn't the first guy and I'm sure won't be the last – and that's not defending Wilson or lessening what happened. But the NHL needs to take a firm stance on intentionally punching guys in the head when they're vulnerable or not fighting you.

The science on the long-term consequences of repeated blows to the head and repeated concussions is grizzly. Really, really grizzly. Having had family suffer very serious degenerative brain conditions, it terrifies me for some of these guys.

Wilson is actually a great hockey player, whose rep is worse than some of the incidents he's called out for. I also don't see which rule he broke that could lead to him getting suspended. I fully expect to see him back next game.

But punching defenceless or vulnerable guys should be formally prohibited, and urgently so. You can have hard hits, you can have fights, but I just don't see a justification for saying punching a guy on the floor is just part of the game, given everything we know.

I am even more troubled with Wilson grabbing Panarins hair and using it to get more power in his bodyslam. If Panarins head had hit the ice first, he could be in intensive care for now...

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

Your comments about punching people in the back of the head while prone on the ground come off as insincere when you say in the next breath that Wilson didn't break any rules.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Your comments about punching people in the back of the head while prone on the ground come off as insincere when you say in the next breath that Wilson didn't break any rules.

What I'm saying is I think, from memory, that would constitute roughing in the NHL rulebook. Not saying it shouldn't have broken rules, I'm just not sure if it did. That worries me tremendously for how the NHL attempts to protect players.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Is that tweet real? There's one going around twitter that the Capitals account supposedly deleted. If real, yowza. That's not going to help Wilson's suspension length.

Reactions: haveandare
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad