Tom Wilson dirty hit (Suspension incoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I was having Matt Cooke flashbacks watching that hit, absolutely suspension worthy without a doubt

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Have they announced a hearing yet?

This Caps fan thinks it’s time to throw the book at Tommy Boy. He’s hockey stupid and dangerous. He had a chance to be on the ice when we are raising the banner. Now, he won’t.

My guess is 15 games.
Idiot Wilson should be made to sit in the corner of the Caps dressing room with the 'dunce cap' on his head...

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
At least get your facts straight, might help you with your arguments.

Tom Wilson (b.1994) hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

(And 15pts in 21 playoff games as the Caps won the Cup....that’s 3rd line production?)

Was that link supposed to prove something other then my point? His career high of points was this year at 35 riding shotgun with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Oh and we get to judge players based on a 21 game sample size now? What about the other 41 playoff games he’s played and didn’t score 15 in 21? A ‘hot streak’ like that erases their entire career to date? What the hell are you even arguing here? Oh wait, nothing. Because you don’t have an argument.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Riptide and Colt55

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Everyone I added a poll for this issue. I wanted to get a better Idea of who thinks is was and who thinks it wasn't a dirty hit. At this time I think its a 80% of the HF peeps think its dirty. Guess we will see

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Did you not understand my post? Where am I advocating that Wilson was ok in what he did?

You — on the other hand — have been telling us that Bortuzzo isn’t libel because it was “an accident” or that the Caps “had it coming because Wilson”.

That’s total and complete hogwash. Bortuzzo threw a flying elbow at a guys head. It was in purpose, and with intent to injure. Don’t try and spin it some other way, you look stupid.
No sir I said his more of a height difference. But then I said it doesn't freaking matter. He is responsible for how he hit kempny. Do I think he was trying to destroy Kempny, no, was it dirty hell yes. Borts is always one of the toughest checkers on our team. Do I thknk it was retribution for Wilson last year no. Doesn't matter still a dirty check. So if your saying it was retribution for kempny then he should be gone 40 games. Guys is a straight pos. There is no way to defend his actions

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
At what point does Wilson cross over from "dirty player" to homicidal criminal?
when he pulls a bertuzi and punches a rookie in the back of the head while he isn't looking. So he isn't far away from that. Just a matter of chance at this point

Its a Trap

Again, if you want to leave the responsibility to care about YOUR Well-Being to others feel free to do so, just don’t expect them to share the same sentiment, about You or Themselves. It’s not about being Right or Wrong, it’s about common sense which negates the need to worry about right and wrong.
Really I’m not sure what you’re even arguing because even if he looked in the other direction he’s still taking a dirty cheap shot to the head, the only difference would be he’s have half a second to say “oh f***” in his head. Unless you think the laws of physics works differently where he could giraffe his head 7 inches backwards and not take the headshot? Wilson is coming in from an angle behind him, he could look up and across the ice and still not see him so what the f*** are you even saying?

You’re arguing for the sake of argument.

Reactions: BHD and Colt55

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I always love when people try to defend Wilson by bringing up other incidents. The idea that Bort waited a year before doing his is silly. But it is like getting a speeding ticket. For the first couple months you drive very slow to make sure you don't get one. Months go by and you open it up a bit. A year goes by and you are speeding again. So it's similar with the Bort scenario where he probably drifted more towards reckless play as time went on. With the small penalties players actually get, it's not life changing to alter their game. It needs to start being penalized consistently and given strong suspensions/fines (also needs to be able to happen in the CBA) to go with it.

But with Wilson, in this fun little example, he gets a speeding ticket and then speeds away as he gets on the highway. :laugh:

Agreed. NHL suspensions are hysterically light for an 82 game season, and the fines are nonexistent.

Reactions: DaveG and Riptide

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Per the rule book you have to make solid contact to the body for head contact to be considered unavoidable and therefore legal. Wilson didn’t do that.

To make this kind of high risk headhunting hit in a preseason game is a special kind of stupid. This should be a looonnnng suspension.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Agreed. NHL suspensions are hysterically light for an 82 game season, and the fines are nonexistent.

And this is where I would like to see some serious action taken by the players in the next CBA. Put stronger suspensions/fines in play. If the majority of the players in the PA agree they want a safer game, put up or shut up.

If they are going to request light suspensions/fines, then don't expect it to change.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
And you clearly missed the point I was making.

Your point was why had a 23yr old power forward not cracked his all time high in points, earlier? I think thats pretty self explanatory, isnt it? Power forwards....like defensemen....take a little longer to cook. His playoff production (on top of his 2nd half RS production) leads to who he is. But I dont expect you to see that or agree with it.

You are a Pens fan. You dont like the Caps (and even less so, Wilson). I get it. So its far easier to be critical. I get that too.

Its a Trap

Your point was why had a 23yr old power forward not cracked his all time high in points, earlier? I think thats pretty self explanatory, isnt it? Power forwards....like defensemen....take a little longer to cook. His playoff production (on top of his 2nd half RS production) leads to who he is. But I dont expect you to see that or agree with it.

You are a Pens fan. You dont like the Caps (and even less so, Wilson). I get it. So its far easier to be critical. I get that too.
He had 9 points in the second half of the regular season so I don’t know what you’re getting at here. He had 25 or 26 when the “Tom Wilson has arrived thread” showed up in January.

Reactions: Riptide

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Have they announced a hearing yet?

This Caps fan thinks it’s time to throw the book at Tommy Boy. He’s hockey stupid and dangerous. He had a chance to be on the ice when we are raising the banner. Now, he won’t.

My guess is 15 games.

Seriously now, this is a very good reason not to do something stupid in a preseason game. Actually aside from your opponent health, I can't think of a better reason not do something like this.

snopro31

Apr 21, 2007
MANITOBA
years ago if stevens made that hit then 90% commenting for wilson to be suspended asap would be cheering with beer in hand.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Different people were in charge at the DoPS at the time, but looks awfully similar to the Kadri hit on Sedin a couple years back that didn't end up being a suspension. We'll see how this plays out but i'll guess an undeserved 5 game suspension

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So its far easier to be critical. I get that too.

It's also far easier to see things clearly without a massive bias there. The guy might complement his linemates perfectly... but that doesn't make him a top 6 winger. The skill just isn't there. That doesn't mean he's not effective in his role... but there's a difference in one's individual skill/ability and how they work on a line.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I’m glad I took a day off yesterday from these boards and completely missed this thread.

To all the Caps fans that are defending this, I just Lol at you.

I seem to remember myself posting multiple videos of this almost exact play and calling Wilson dirty because of it and people supporting him and saying that he just plays “hard”.

Dude is a joke to the game.

Reactions: Cellee and Riptide

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Was that link supposed to prove something other then my point? His career high of points was this year at 35 riding shotgun with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Oh and we get to judge players based on a 21 game sample size now? What about the other 41 playoff games he’s played and didn’t score 15 in 21? A ‘hot streak’ like that erases their entire career to date? What the hell are you even arguing here? Oh wait, nothing. Because you don’t have an argument.

[Mod]

The link proves your dont do your homework. and this most recent post proves more of the same. Wilson spent 60% of his ES time w Backstrom or Kuznetsov. 25pts. If he'd been with them all season, he'd be narrowing in on 45-50 ES points. no PP time.

He is a top 6 W, and his production shows it. Period Your opinion isnt relevant....the facts are pretty easy to see.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It's also far easier to see things clearly without a massive bias there. The guy might complement his linemates perfectly... but that doesn't make him a top 6 winger. The skill just isn't there. That doesn't mean he's not effective in his role... but there's a difference in one's individual skill/ability and how they work on a line.
Wait, so you're telling me Pascal Dupuis wasn't a legit top-6 winger? :\

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Back when I learned hockey this would be a lesson in what not to do after gaining the blue line. You want to stare at the puck with no regard for your own safety, fine, but it's not on the defense to take care of you either. Legal man changes body position with no situational awareness and gets clocked. Get your head up, kid

q3iCWqE.jpg

Reactions: Riptide and Cellee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad