Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
When he wants to he can take over offensively. Right now he’s taking a backseat with Hutson there and is playing the role of the stabilizing defensive presence on the team. That’s why you leave him there one more year and let him grow his game offensively with Hutson gone. The sky is the limit with his skating + IQ

Reactions: biturbo19 and arttk

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
His +/- is kind of insane.

He’s now a +13.

The next best on the team is a +9
The next highest d-man is a +4

Here is the +/- of all of the other d-men on the team:

Lane Hutson -3
Aiden Celebrini +4
Cade Webber +4
Case McCarthy +2
Ty Gallagher +3

Yes we all know +/- is a flawed stat, however relative to your own teammates there is always some useful info when used in context.
Those numbers above are especially impressive when you consider his age, he’s relatively new to the North American game, is stepping up in competition…

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Minnesota took Brodin 10 OA and I doubt they regret it.

Don’t want to take away the point you are trying to make but it’s not like there was anyone drafted immediately after or reasonably chosen over that is better than Brodin. It took Miller a while to be “as good” as Brodin and even longer to be “better than” Brodin.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
His +/- is kind of insane.

He’s now a +13.

The next best on the team is a +9
The next highest d-man is a +4

Here is the +/- of all of the other d-men on the team:

Lane Hutson -3
Aiden Celebrini +4
Cade Webber +4
Case McCarthy +2
Ty Gallagher +3

Yes we all know +/- is a flawed stat, however relative to your own teammates there is always some useful info when used in context.
Those numbers above are especially impressive when you consider his age, he’s relatively new to the North American game, is stepping up in competition…

His defense has been absolutely elite IMO.

You can see why he gets compared to Slavin. His ability to break up plays at such a young age is impressive. He's a human eraser out there.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Don’t want to take away the point you are trying to make but it’s not like there was anyone drafted immediately after or reasonably chosen over that is better than Brodin. It took Miller a while to be “as good” as Brodin and even longer to be “better than” Brodin.
Context matters, I agree. But if we're walking around in a t-shirt that reads I spent my 11OA draft pick and all I got in return was a top pairing all-situations 30-40 pt dman, it almost doesn't matter what kind of career Zach Benson ends up having. It would be most first-world of first-world problems to gripe about.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It's a shame that we just got this guy and he's in his D+1. We need him now but he needs another year in college for sure.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Context matters, I agree. But if we're walking around in a t-shirt that reads I spent my 11OA draft pick and all I got in return was a top pairing all-situations 30-40 pt dman, it almost doesn't matter what kind of career Zach Benson ends up having. It would be most first-world of first-world problems to gripe about.

But there is context. I'm all for rationalizing picks, but the fact is that when you bypass the consensus higher ranked player (and especially if you reach for a player), comparisons matter. I mean it would definitely would have mattered how Bourdon's career (RIP) would have turned out given we bypassed Kopitar.

And in the case of Brodin, he was 3rd ranked Euro and McKenzie had him #10 behind Murphy.

I think it does matter whether Willander ends up being better than Benson and ASP. That's not to say we can't end up being happy with the pick. Take Kesler. Initially there was no doubt that Richards was the better pick. And for most of their careers, Perry was the better player. In 2010-2011 though, Kesler would have been an untouchable here.

But yes if Willander turns out to be a top pairing Dman (he doesn't even need to offer much offensively) for a decade + here then I think most of us would be extremely happy.

Last edited:

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I love the comparisons to Jonas Brodin. Exactly what our blueline needs. 10 yr stable #2/3 dman that can PK and play a solid PP2. Hope that comes true. Brodin is the more talented version of Chris Tanev. He is one of the most under-rated players in the entire league.
I prefer that over a potentially PPG forward in Benson, honestly. Harder to find these types.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
normally in a draft this loaded, I would not want to draft by need/archetypes, but its unlikely Canucks will draft as high in a while and the rarest of them all to acquire is a RHD with size and upside. So far, I trust what Pandolfo sees, and I am very happy with Willander regardless of how Benson or ASP turns out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad