Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Tom WillanderRDSwedenSwe-JrFeb 9, 2005394212512 (EUR)6'1.25''180lbs

Committed to Boston University.
1st Round Consolidated Ranking: 24
Bob McKenzie: 20
Elite Prospects: 23

The Athletic Scouting Report (Pronman)
Willander's skating is his main asset for the NHL; he is one of the best skaters in the draft. He has a quick, powerful skating stride and can push the pace up ice with the puck. Willander's skating allows him to close on checks well and be a quality defender especially when combined with the fact he has some physicality in his game. I wasn't always sold on his offensive touch. I don't see a big-time playmaker as a pro, but Willander has good enough skill and vision to move pucks at higher levels well, especially given the space his feet can generate. He has the making of a good two-way top four defenseman.

The Athletic Scouting Report (Wheeler)
One of the better-skating defencemen in the draft, Willander, who is committed to Boston University for the fall, was a horse for the Swedish national team and Rogle’s junior team this year. He’s a strong-in-all-three-zones two-way defenceman who plays a confident and decisive game that uses his beautiful, balanced skating to push forward or fall back onto his heels and outlet the puck. He pulls away or retreats from pressure with ease and excels on exits. His head is always up. He gets his shots through. And then on top of the pro frame, and the skating, and the general athleticism, he also just plays the game with an intentionality that is rare in players his age. He looks and operates like a pro out there, his passes are quick and firm, he’s aggressive on pinches and closing gaps, and rarely mistimes them, swallowing up play defensively. Willander doesn’t have dynamic skill or creativity on the puck, but he projects safely as an NHL defenceman and might be a two-way transition monster in a second-pairing role with the right development. I expect him to step right into the college game and be impactful.

Elite Prospects Scouting Report
Tom Willander has been among this draft’s biggest risers on most rankings, including ours. To our credit, he impressed us early, as evidenced by our game reports, and it was more of a case of growing admiration rather than being caught totally off guard by his skill level.
Then with an exceptionally strong showing at the U18s, Willander made himself a consensus first-round pick across the industry. Perhaps even someone destined for the first 15 picks.
Willander’s value stems from the combination of high-end skating and motor. He’s always engaged defensively, using his dynamic posture and evasive footwork to guide attackers away from the middle and break up plays along the boards. When you add the fact that he’s both strong and skilled physically and relentlessly competes for every puck – he’s a nightmare to play against. Even if you start or manage to gain an advantage, Willander has the quickness to recover most of the time. Simply put: He’s one of the most projectable defensive players in the entire draft.
Also elusive with the puck, Willander was among the better breakout artists at the J20 level this season. He was quite conservative with his play at the start of the season, often deferring to his partner and moving the puck quickly instead of trying to take full advantage of his skating. The U18s offered an example of what Willander is capable of when he’s constantly activating, filling up space and overall maximizing his impact in transition.
Willander’s defensive reads are a strength, but high-end offensive instincts are currently missing from his game. He can consistently create potential openings and advantages with his feet, but couldn’t often capitalize on them.
As Elite Prospects lead scout David St-Louis summarized in one of his game reports, “Willander lacks the awareness and processing inside his moves to really make the best play. He activates, shifts alongside the blue, and makes some cheeky 1-on-1 moves and passes, but the offensive reads and creativity lag behind the toolkit".
A reported move to Boston College in his draft-plus-one season should serve him well in this regard.
Even if Willander doesn’t end up taking significant steps offensively, his floor as a prospect remains high. Becoming a complementary No. 4 blueliner who provides a lot of defensive value through his skating, motor, and physicality while being able to move the puck competently is definitely in the cards, even without any major developmental leaps. And if the offence does take off? Watch out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Pretty much doing how everyone thought he would do. Steady, solid Dman improving every game adjusting to the NA ice.

So far so good.

It pretty much comes down to Willander vs Benson vs ASP (and maybe vs Wood)? But ya Willander seems to be doing fine.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
anyone caught the game ?

I know he got promoted to the top pair with Hutson

Also, what's the chance of him playing in the top 6 for Sweden in this upcoming wjc

Sweden has a pretty stacked roster

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
anyone caught the game ?

I know he got promoted to the top pair with Hutson

Also, what's the chance of him playing in the top 6 for Sweden in this upcoming wjc

Sweden has a pretty stacked roster
Go to the prospects section: a couple people posted in there who were at the game.

He was paired with Hutson, and Hutson does whatever he wants out there so it sounds like Willander just had to commit to being the defensively responsible one.

He was also elbowed in the head (5 minute major) and left the game for a bit.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I watched 1/2 the game. He's an effortless skater with and without the puck. He's good at moving the puck up ice quickly with stretch passes. Plays a safe game, kind of defers to others in the offensive end, but looks great while skating along the blueline with the puck. Great 1v1 defender, really closes in on them fast and shuts the play down. Not a bruiser by any means, but he consistently defends physically, by getting right in their grill and muscling them.

Pretty much just like the Pandolfo interview suggests: a complementary #2, or a top 4 shutdown guy that plays big minutes vs the opposing teams' best players.

Last edited:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I watched 1/2 the game. He's an effortless skater with and without the puck,. He's good at moving the puck up ice quickly with stretch passes. Plays a safe game, kind of defers to others in the offensive end, but looks great while skating across the blueline with the puck. Great 1v1 defender, really closes in on them fast and shuts the play down. Not a bruiser by any means, but he consistently defends physically, by getting right in their grill and muscling them.

Pretty much just like the Pandolfo interview suggests: a complementary #2, or a top 4 shutdown guy that plays big minutes vs the opposing teams' best players.

So as Benning might say, Lidstrom without the offense?

• Haha
Reactions: quat

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I watched 1/2 the game. He's an effortless skater with and without the puck,. He's good at moving the puck up ice quickly with stretch passes. Plays a safe game, kind of defers to others in the offensive end, but looks great while skating across the blueline with the puck. Great 1v1 defender, really closes in on them fast and shuts the play down. Not a bruiser by any means, but he consistently defends physically, by getting right in their grill and muscling them.

I think he defers to other for offence because he knows who his parter is

Go to the prospects section: a couple people posted in there who were at the game.

He was paired with Hutson, and Hutson does whatever he wants out there so it sounds like Willander just had to commit to being the defensively responsible one.

He was also elbowed in the head (5 minute major) and left the game for a bit.
Did he come back after taking the elbow?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

So, basically RH shot Jonas Brodin?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Brodin/Lindholm/Pesce no one is trading them away in their prime. And he's a lot more mobile than them, think Leddy's skating +. Pretty much what the doctor ordered to pair with Hughes.

Any offense from him is extra. Like Orlov/Lindholm, I believe he will have a few years of 30+. Really hope he will be available for playoffs 2025.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

This is, like, exactly what we need. To a T. Really hope all of what you described translate to the NHL.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
So, basically RH shot Jonas Brodin?
Probably that style of player, give or take.
I think he defers to other for offence because he knows who his parter is
I don't think so, it's not the first time I've watched him and he mostly keeps things simple. Maybe he develops the confidence to be more "selfish" and risky/dynamic, but for now he plays a simple, team-orientated game. Offensively, he's good at walking the line and keeping the possession going, as well as getting a sneaky wrister through to the net. Probably will never put up big point totals, but will collect points here and there with good stretch passes and solid puck possession. The things he's good at, he's really good at, and it should translate well. Considering his skillset, he likely has a low bust chance, but a cap on his ceiling, albeit a fairly high one.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Probably that style of player, give or take.

I don't think so, it's not the first time I've watched him and he mostly keeps things simple. Maybe he develops the confidence to be more "selfish" and risky/dynamic, but for now he plays a simple, team-orientated game. Offensively, he's good at walking the line and keeping the possession going, as well as getting a sneaky wrister through to the net. Probably will never put up big point totals, but will collect points here and there with good stretch passes and solid puck possession. The things he's good at, he's really good at, and it should translate well. Considering his skillset, he likely has a low bust chance, but a cap on his ceiling, albeit a fairly high one.

Yeah he's not going to be a big scorer but he doesn't need to be to be very effective in transition and thereby kickstarting the offense for any team.

It's frustrating that he really doesn't get a ton of ice time for whatever reason, Hutson plays half the game and the upperclassmen seem to get preference even though they are not very good. A lot of selfish players on the team in terms of how they play. Willander would probably have more points in a different environment, he's playing very well.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I like how when Merrick was losing, they just pulled the fire alarm. Classic move.

Also, I think BU suffers from having "too many cooks in the kitchen." The amount of times they turn the puck over trying to be fancy is crazy high. Completely breaks the flow of the game, and it makes it hard for all players to get in a rhythm. I wonder if sticking to a more professional league in Sweden might have been better for his development.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I like how when Merrick was losing, they just pulled the fire alarm. Classic move.

Also, I think BU suffers from having "too many cooks in the kitchen." The amount of times they turn the puck over trying to be fancy is crazy high. Completely breaks the flow of the game, and it makes it hard for all players to get in a rhythm. I wonder if sticking to a more professional league in Sweden might have been better for his development.
Going to college gives him the opportunity to practice a ton, bulk up and get used to the NA play style.
Next year with a bunch of guys moving on from BU, he should get more opportunity to be the offensive driver and hopefully he will develop that side more next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad