Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The one we traded away is gonna be around 25th overall or something. Given the circumstances I think it's an acceptable asset to part with.

It's just such a shame that we no longer have the Supreme Draft GOD of Dimbo to lend us a hand with that.
Its ok, I have it on good authority, less picks is better.... you can really concentrate then...

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
The one we traded away is gonna be around 25th overall or something. Given the circumstances I think it's an acceptable asset to part with.

It's just such a shame that we no longer have the Supreme Draft GOD of Dimbo to lend us a hand with that.
The drafting of the last regime was at least better than average. Every team misses with high first round picks. It’s difficult to get a player like Hughes, even at #1 overall, because put up even against those picks, he is a stand out, and we got him at #7. Pettersson is a franchise level player that we got at #5. He would be a #1 overall in 9 out of 10 drafts. Drafting is one area that has worked out well for the Canucks.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The drafting of the last regime was at least better than average. Every team misses with high first round picks. It’s difficult to get a player like Hughes, even at #1 overall, because put up even against those picks, he is a stand out, and we got him at #7. Pettersson is a franchise level player that we got at #5. He would be a #1 overall in 9 out of 10 drafts. Drafting is one area that has worked out well for the Canucks.

bennings drafting wasn't above average; he's a "draft guru" has been debunked repeatedly

and pettersson wouldn't even go #1 overall in his own draft year.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
bennings drafting wasn't above average; he's a "draft guru" has been debunked repeatedly

and pettersson wouldn't even go #1 overall in his own draft year.
It really wasnt good overall. By all accounts Petey wasnt his choice and we can thank Montreal, Zona and Detroit for passing on Hughes. I'll give him Boeser and Demko but thats about it

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

yeah, because Juolevi Virtanen both worked out so well for us.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Agreed that the Benning regime 'hit' on first rounders like Boeser, Hughes and Pettersson.

But that was offset by all the draft picks they traded for useless prospects on other teams. Which is a shame really. Because if they'd kept some of those picks in rounds 2-5 they might have uncovered more guys like Hoglander and Demko.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I'm getting ahead of myself but I hope the Canucks can avoid burning one of his ELC years this year. Next year the OEL buyout is 2.4 then the next two would be 4.7. Having Willander still on his ELC for those last two could be essential for this team.

Will be interesting to see what happens, because you also don't want to hold back a player if he's ready.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
I'm getting ahead of myself but I hope the Canucks can avoid burning one of his ELC years this year. Next year the OEL buyout is 2.4 then the next two would be 4.7. Having Willander still on his ELC for those last two could be essential for this team.

Will be interesting to see what happens, because you also don't want to hold back a player if he's ready.
I don't think they're going to sign him this year. Almost 100% he spends 2 seasons in college and then see if he needs time in the AHL or not.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's not being signed this year.

The by-far most likely scenario is that he's signed next March, they burn the ELC year for 24-25 and he finishes the year here, he's signed for the full 25-26 and 26-27 seasons, and is an RFA in the summer of 2027. So that lines up fine.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
The drafting of the last regime was at least better than average.
Show your work, please.

Every team misses with high first round picks.
Show your work, please. But since you won't:

Quick and dirty, I went back 18 drafts to see. What stood out was interesting.

I only looked at players who did not reach 200+ GP threshold for a top 10 pick. Not very scientific, but for spending 15 minutes looking at something, it serves its purpose.

The Rangers had 5 'bust' players, although several of them were goalies (Blackburn and Montoya.)

Columbus was 2nd with 3 'bust' players and NYI and VAN had 2, although I'd argue Bourdon shouldn't count given his circumstances, so make your own call on that.

What is interesting is that organizations that were notably dysfunctional (and cited as some of the worst run teams of all time, ie, the Milbury Islanders and Columbus under Doug MacLean) tended to have high profile flameouts (while still being gifted superstars like Nash) and of course, Jim 'draft guru' Benning being a part of numerous notable organizations with players that didn't work out.

Out of all the 'bust' players, 5 of them were drafted in the top 5, with the remaining 13 being 6 or above and 50% of them coming from 2005 or earlier. I feel that this supports my claim it's very hard to f*** up a pick the higher you go, especially in the modern NHL.

The only teams to have done so were the Islanders, Canucks, Tampa and Anaheim. And for two of those organizations you need to go back 23 years.

2001 - Svitov (3rd, TBL), Chistov* (5th, ANA), Leclaire (8th, CBJ), Blackburn (10th, NYR)
2002 - Taticek (9th, FLA)
2003 - None
2004 - Montoya (6th, NYR), Picard (8th, CBJ), Valabik (10th, ATL)
2005 - Bourdon (10th, VAN, although I'd argue this one should be starred)
2006 - None
2007 - Hamill* (8th, BOS)
2008 - Filatov (6th, CBJ)
2009 - Glennie (8th, DAL)
2010 - McIlrath (10th, NYR)
2011 - None
2012 - Griffin Reinhart (4th, NYI)
2013 - None
2014 - Dal Colle (5th, NYI)
2015 - None
2016 - Juolevi* (5th, VAN)
2017 - Looking like Lias Andersson at this point (7th, NYR)
2018 - Kravtsov (9th, NYR)

Drafting is one area that has worked out well for the Canucks.
Show your work, please.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I only looked at players who did not reach 200+ GP threshold for a top 10 pick. Not very scientific, but for spending 15 minutes looking at something, it serves its purpose.
You're using a cutoff point in the draft that's fairly arbitrary and a metric for success that's almost entirely arbitrary. I don't think you'd dispute that Nail Yakupov or Cam Barker is a bust. If you're attempting a statistical analysis, then just going "hmm, I guess this category/definition is good enough, whatever," at every turn, there's not much point in calling it a statistical analysis, as you're doing the one thing you can't do if you want your conclusions to be accurate.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Willander finished up his NCAA regular season with 2 primary assist, 1 shot (5 attempts), and a +1 rating this afternoon.

Season statline - 32GP 4G 17A 21PTS and a +24 rating

Only 5 minor penalties total as well. His skating basically helps him avoid taking penalties much like Tanev. Myers can rack up 5 minor penalties in the span of a week.

Already looking forward to that Soucy Willander pairing when he turns pro.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Willander finished up his NCAA regular season with 2 primary assist, 1 shot (5 attempts), and a +1 rating this afternoon.

Season statline - 32GP 4G 17A 21PTS and a +24 rating

With all information in, Wallinder has exceeded my expectations for his first season in college hockey. Was just hoping that he would establish himself as a regular (he's deployed as a 2/3 and has been for most of the season) and whatever offense he could generate would be a product of that deployment. 21 points in 32 games playing rock solid defense is pretty damn good for a freshman 2/3 dman!

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Very solid but not spectacular season. Look forward to seeing what he can do without Hutson.
I'd say it was spectacular season. He put up similar offensive numbers as a freshman season to a lot of great D in the league today. Guys like McAvoy, Makar, Slavin, Toews, Sanderson, etc. even Quinn Hughes only put up 29 pts in 37 games as a freshman. It's generally not a position in college that you see huge numbers out of 18 year olds.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They’ll get a bid regardless of how they do in the HE tournament

Really hope they don’t sign him.
Needs another year.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
What's stopping this guy from being a 1B defenseman for the Canucks? His freshman numbers are up there with elite #1 d men.
Probably puck skills. He’s a fantastic skater with exceptional defensive IQ, he’ll almost definitely be a top 4 guy in the NHL. However, his offensive game is limited right now, doesn’t seem comfortable handling the puck.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Wilander came in at 9th or 10th on Craig Button's list of the top NHL-drafted prospects.

I can imagine that just about every lottery-bound team was asking about him and Lekerimakki at Friday's trade deadline. So glad that Allvin held firm, unwilling to trade the team's top prospects.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Probably puck skills. He’s a fantastic skater with exceptional defensive IQ, he’ll almost definitely be a top 4 guy in the NHL. However, his offensive game is limited right now, doesn’t seem comfortable handling the puck.
The benefit of going NCAA is that now he has 6 months of off season to work on his skills.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad