Tom Gilbert - Am I good or am I bad?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I like him.

You guys do realize he only costs 2.8 million also right ?

That really isn't that expensive for what he does.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
He doesn't have the whole Josh Gorges warrior persona. But he has a first pass. And he has a decent transition game. And he doesn't kill the offense.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Figured he deserved his own thread seeing how he seems to be the new scapegoat.
I agree he looked a little lost at first, which isn't uncommon for new players joining new teams, but he hasn't looked bad either. So I don't get the massive hate around him.
Reminds me of Spacek a bit.

Where he has been disappointing is on the offensive part of the game, I expected him to create a little more and gather points, but he's still doing a silent good job defensively.

So I need to know, what is it that he's doing so bad?

We had a pretty small sample size so far and the entire team wasn't very good before that BUF game. I think he will improve and is contract is 2x2.8M$ it's not like he sign 5x5M$... He is way cheaper and better than Spacek even was in MTL.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I never said he's mistake free, so point to one instance, or even 5 for that matter, is irrelevant. Mistakes will always be made. I agree that offensively he hasn't been what we'd hope. Maybe that will change. Still, he's not as bad as people make him seem.
Is Handzus a #2 center on a cup team? Winning teams can have weak spots.

But you need to be extremely strong to be able to deal with weak spots at key position. And Hawks were. And we have OTHER weak spots to take care of....as we keep being reminded every single day.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The Gilbert signing has accomplished what it was supposed to, IMO. The move was about more than Gilbert vs Gorges, and even then I think it's worked out in our advantage. Add to the fact that it frees up Emelin to be on his right side and opens some space for the young-uns (who have been having their struggles, admittedly) and I think the move clearly improves us. I think what Grant said is correct, though. We'll see what he really has to offer by mid-season. I think Bergevin was on point with this one.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He's fine in his role. I find most dmen have been playing well so far this year. The best has been Markov. Subban looks like he is starting to regain that Norris form.

Gonchar has been great.

Emelin has been alright. He's fine as our #4.

Gilbert is a good #5.

Weaver can play as the #6, but I would like to see Beaulieu and Tinordi get more ice time.

It's a good problem to have. If we run into injuries, no worries. We have depth.

If everyone keeps playing that way, we'll finish very high in the standings.

I'm worried about Gonch. I don't think he'll be this steady all year long. Although a little confidence from the coach goes a long way. He's been getting way more ice time here than in Dallas.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Ever since he calmed down with those atrocious (often no-look) giveaways, he's been a pretty serviceable player

The Brisebois comparisons with his signature "worst possible option" passes were warranted at the start of the season. He's been incredibly lucky that none of those resulted into goals (IIRC) otherwise the hate would have reached another level altogether

But you also have to recognize that he's simplified his game considerably lately and although we could use more offense from him, he's certainly giving us our money's worth (for the time being). And to hate him now just for the sake of hating him is simply unfair

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The team is different this year. A little less able to retrieve the puck in their own zone but much better passes and organization on the way out of the zone, at least the last few games. Still too much icing, though, need to practice the "dump the puck to the opposing blue line without icing under pressure" play a few thousand times, the bruins can do it at least 2 times out of 3.

Maybe hire Gonchar as a coach? He's looked OK out there but the puck movement has been way better even when he is off the ice. Maybe Gonchar was able to explain to MT what the team is able to do once you stop the dump 'n chase and the off the glass and give away possession?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For all the talk of him being horrible... I gotta say, I haven't really noticed this guy. I notice the odd mistake but for the most part he's just sort of... there. I think he's fine for a bottom pairing guy anyway. I have no issue with him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But you need to be extremely strong to be able to deal with weak spots at key position. And Hawks were. And we have OTHER weak spots to take care of....as we keep being reminded every single day.

Well I personally don't think he's that weak. He's a pretty good bottom pairing guy.
And while we're not top loaded like the Hawks, we have some pretty good depth.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
For all the talk of him being horrible... I gotta say, I haven't really noticed this guy. I notice the odd mistake but for the most part he's just sort of... there. I think he's fine for a bottom pairing guy anyway. I have no issue with him.

Both times I did notice him in a negative way JJ had him playing Left FN D???

Beaulieu please...
Get him Gilbert and Weaver about 10 min each...

Davebo*

Ever since he calmed down with those atrocious (often no-look) giveaways, he's been a pretty serviceable player

The Brisebois comparisons with his signature "worst possible option" passes were warranted at the start of the season. He's been incredibly lucky that none of those resulted into goals (IIRC) otherwise the hate would have reached another level altogether

But you also have to recognize that he's simplified his game considerably lately and although we could use more offense from him, he's certainly giving us our money's worth (for the time being). And to hate him now just for the sake of hating him is simply unfair

I'm willing to give him more time. I don't like his hesitancy out there, either defending or on the PP. Opposition players can pick up on uncertainty, and cause him to turn the puck over.

One thing is for certain. I don't recall the Habs have so much depth - at every position - it's been decades. And they are winning while having fun out there - that's clear, too. :)

1319347429001.jpg

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Expected more offensively but didn't expect him to be that good defensively.

Most people just bring him up when he makes a couple turnovers but won't give him any credit when he has a good game, for $2.8 million he's been a nice pickup as a #4/5 guy.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Solid pickup. Couldn't afford Gorges' contract anymore and Gilbert, at $2.8m, is a decent pmd that won't hurt the team but will actually benefit the team in the long run.

I'd rather see Beaulieu play in Weaver's spot.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Both times I did notice him in a negative way JJ had him playing Left FN D???

Beaulieu please...
Get him Gilbert and Weaver about 10 min each...
This I agree with. Beaulieu should be getting lots of icetime. He's been getting better and better but we just don't use him enough. Under 10 mins a game now...

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I'm still undecided on Tom Gilbert and they say if you don't notice a defenceman that's a good thing so there you go. Agree Beaulieu needs more minutes.

Analyzer*

This I agree with. Beaulieu should be getting lots of icetime. He's been getting better and better but we just don't use him enough. Under 10 mins a game now...

Markov, Emelin and Gonchar seem to be ahead of him on LD.

RD, we're weak and our prospects suck.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well I personally don't think he's that weak. He's a pretty good bottom pairing guy.
And while we're not top loaded like the Hawks, we have some pretty good depth.

So who's our top 4. Can't we agree that we need at least a solid top 4 to go far? We've got the goalie. We seem to have some kind of offense though, most people hate our "#1 C" (which was Toews for Chicago), so our top 4 on D are Subban, Markov, Emelin and....? A Subban who struggles, though I don't think he's as bad as people say he is. He's not shining as much....but he's not the worst D out there. Markov who's fine. Emelin who plays better right now but has his ups and downs.....and who else? We agree that Gonchar might and will slow down and can't be a 20-minute guy. Weaver can't be that guy. Beaulieu will probalby be one day...but this year? Maybe not. Leaves Gilbert who's a "good BOTTOM pairing guy" from your own words. And that's where I have a problem with. If trading him with something else gives us a REAL #4 D, I say let's do it. But we won't go far with a real contending top 4.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
GP G A PTS +/-
Cody Franson TOR D 16 3 9 12 +4

i guess MB was onto something o_o

people have to learn to look at things without leaf-hating goggles, bruins-hating goggles..

its like the people who say "id never want phil kessel on my team", like get real people

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don't think he's bad, he's just not exactly a complete dman, so you have to use him in the right context all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad