Tom Gilbert - Am I good or am I bad?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Figured he deserved his own thread seeing how he seems to be the new scapegoat.
I agree he looked a little lost at first, which isn't uncommon for new players joining new teams, but he hasn't looked bad either. So I don't get the massive hate around him.
Reminds me of Spacek a bit.

Where he has been disappointing is on the offensive part of the game, I expected him to create a little more and gather points, but he's still doing a silent good job defensively.

So I need to know, what is it that he's doing so bad?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
He's a #5 or #6. Signing him to be our #4 was ridiculous. With Gonchar now Gilbert can play his role properly.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He's been fine. Not what I was expecting, but he's been better than Emelin and Weaver. Based on his contract I have no complaints.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
He's had a lot of turnovers. A LOT. But, he's been pretty decent none the less. We notice players more for their gaffs. Gilbert has been pretty good at killing opportunities and zone exits. So far, he's been a lot less noticeable than Markov and Subban in terms of big "Oh ****!" turnovers. He's so-so (alright).

Really, the only thing annoying me with Gilbert is his contract length. That's all.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Better than Emelin? Emelin has been decent this season.

He's been terrible in possession terms, even when sheltered against top competition. He's been hitting a lot, but consistently puts himself out of position. He's not even doing a very good job blocking shots compared to other guys.

He just chases the play to much for taste and isn't a very good decision maker with or without the puck. I guess at 4 mil I expect more than hitting and PK time.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He's really something of a poor man's Brisebois... Good enough for #5 at least on that team.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He's ok but a bad fit for this team. He won't get his usual ~30pts behind Subban,Markov,Gonchar.

Elliotte Friedman says the Wings want him.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts/

Gilbert for Mantha. I want my Erat for Forsberg....:cry:

Just don't like him. Not entirely because I feel he's an awful hockey player. But because the day that you start wanting a better mix, I feel he's the odd man out. But also hate his stint so far. Awful in the giveaways department and I think the stats guy missed quite a few more. Hates when he's being pressured more than everybody else. And doesn't bring the offense he was suppose to bring. We had to get a 40 year old man to try and help the part he was suppose to help. Him and Beaulieu, yet, I'd excuse Beaulieu way more than him. We need a more physical defensive d-man on this squad. And it's not anybody else but him that could come out as Weaver won't get you that guy while Gilbert "might" have the resume, with thet addition of younger prospects, to bring us that physical guy.

Last edited:

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Hmm, if Detroit wants him. This could be interesting. Though, I don't know which of their forwards they wouldn't mind departing from. Maybe Abdelkader for the 3rd line? :dunno: They won't want to trade their RFAs, who are producing well. We don't really need defense if we're getting rid of Gilbert.

Abdelkader would reduce our cap level. Duno.

Analyzer*

He's been getting better. To start the season he was atrocious and made me miss Bouillon.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Figured he deserved his own thread seeing how he seems to be the new scapegoat.
I agree he looked a little lost at first, which isn't uncommon for new players joining new teams, but he hasn't looked bad either. So I don't get the massive hate around him.
Reminds me of Spacek a bit.

Where he has been disappointing is on the offensive part of the game, I expected him to create a little more and gather points, but he's still doing a silent good job defensively.

So I need to know, what is it that he's doing so bad?

I agree with you -- I keep hearing Gilbert-crap and I don't see it. He's effective at getting the puck out and onto a forward's stick. He's been mostly responsible defensively. His production is meh, but he's been part of plenty of chances. Points will come.

He's not flustered by pressure in our zone, unlike Diaz. Yes, there have been turnovers, but that's a system issue with our whole team, not just Gilbert. FYI: Habs have the most turnovers in the league.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I would think there is an adaptation period for any player, and in particular defencemen, who join a team for the first time. Early on Gilbert took the wrong man on occasion, and you can't be too shocked about it. Lately there have been less mistakes, and he's made some decent passes in the offensive zone He's gaining confidence and getting more comfortable. Wait until the half of the season - we'll have a better read on him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gilbert for Mantha. I want my Erat for Forsberg....:cry:

Just don't like him. Not entirely because I feel he's an awful hockey player. But because the day that you start wanting a better mix, I feel he's the odd man out. But also hate his stint so far. Awful in the giveaways department and I think the stats guy missed quite a few more. Hates when he's being pressured more than everybody else. And doesn't bring the offense he was suppose to bring. We had to get a 40 year old man to try and help the part he was suppose to help. Him and Beaulieu, yet, I'd excuse Beaulieu way more than him. We need a more physical defensive d-man on this squad. And it's not anybody else but him that could come out as Weaver won't get you that guy while Gilbert "might" have the resume, with thet addition of younger prospects, to bring us that physical guy.
I don't get your hate buddy. Sure, he's had some giveaways, like so many of our other players. But he's played some pretty good defense and he's rarely been caught out of position.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
Interesting stats that was tweeted a couple of days ago:

Tom Gilbert averages 2.2 GF per 60 minutes while averaging 0.61 GA per 60 minutes over 200+ minutes.

Edit: Interesting considering, opponents players when not playing against him get 2.41 GF per 60 minutes

Stats

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
In terms of the needs, cap space, and ages of the 2014-15 team, I'd rather have Gilbert than Komisarek, Hamrlik, Kaberle. Spacek, Souray, Wisniewski, Weber, Diaz, Streit, Gorges, Bouillon, Murray, or Gorges right now. Of course, Hamrlik was the best of that bunch by a long shot but he's too old.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad