Tom Gilbert - Am I good or am I bad?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He's been exactly what I expected. He's not setting the world on fire, but he's pretty solid defensively, even if he makes some mistakes moving/passing the puck.

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
Habs have the most turnovers in the league.
Looks more like a "Bell center's RTS scorers hands out giveaways like they're going out of style" problem more than a "Habs Dmen are prone to having alot more giveaways (but mostly at the Bell center) than any other teams D" problem.
Interesting stats that was tweeted a couple of days ago:

Tom Gilbert averages 2.2 GF per 60 minutes while averaging 0.61 GA per 60 minutes over 200+ minutes.

Edit: Interesting considering, opponents players when not playing against him get 2.41 GF per 60 minutes

Stats

Crazy on ice save%. But still, I like Gilbert. You can kinda see him being not used to our Dzone / breakout system (by the fact that the Habs do not appear to actually have any breakout strategies beyond long pass/slap it out of the zone/icing) but you can see he's a smart player.

feds91

May 17, 2004
plays over 20 minutes a game, + 7 rating. can't really complain. no offence to Habs fans, but you don't have to complain about EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME! :p:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He's a bigger and more polished Diaz, not disappointed at all. People just don't appreciate what he brings in terms of transitional game and stickchecking/defending.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
He makes the safe play. Keeps it real simple. He's fine as a stop-gap.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013
plays over 20 minutes a game, + 7 rating. can't really complain. no offence to Habs fans, but you don't have to complain about EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME! :p:

Gilbert is an improvement over Gorges.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't get your hate buddy. Sure, he's had some giveaways, like so many of our other players. But he's played some pretty good defense and he's rarely been caught out of position.

Well I don't agree about the good defense and being not caught out of position. People blamed Gonchar yesterday on that goal when Gilbert was incredibly soft. You're giving me that same argument as we kept hearing a lot of times about the great Raphael Diaz. Of course, Gilbert is better. But doesn't bring anything than to be okay and be a good filler for spot #5. Which we have too many of right now. We have a PK who doesn't play like a #1. We have a good Markov as #2. We have a Emelin who doesn't play a whole lot as #3. And then the rest are #5 and #6. Gilbert was suppose to help our 2nd PP. Clearly doesn't do it. And his soft and bad decision making do not make him a top 4, which was the whole point of getting. This is not about being satisfied with a guy who is okay as a bottom 2 d-man. It's about solidifying our D. And since nobody is leaving our squad except Weaver who could, Gilbert with somebody else might be helpful in getting a true upgrade. Is this team supposed to be a contender? And if so, Gilbert CLEARLY fills the portrait of a top 4 in a contending team? I'm expecting more.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I like him. He's solid defensively and is good on the transition. Like him a lot more than Gorges, who seemed to skate like he was wearing a diaper.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Better version of Diaz. I Think he would look good with Emelin alongside him on the 2nd pairing. None of or D look particularly great in their own zone, a lot of that has to do with the team not getting the best X's and O's.

Gilbert skates well, moves the puck well, and he'll surely get some points alongside Pleks, Chucky and Subban on the 2nd wave PP.

He's perfectly fine as filler until Beaulieu & Tinordi are ready to take over for the true cup window.

However none of this matters because he's not overly physical and doesn't hit :shakehead:sarcasm:

HShahzad

Jan 23, 2014
Tom Gilbert has been good, but not a top 4 in Montreal. He fits in well as a #5 with the Habs. I don't expect him to put up lots of points, but he's been solid in his own end, despite the turn-overs. Salary is not bad, but lenght is a concern for me.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Interesting stats that was tweeted a couple of days ago:

Tom Gilbert averages 2.2 GF per 60 minutes while averaging 0.61 GA per 60 minutes over 200+ minutes.

Edit: Interesting considering, opponents players when not playing against him get 2.41 GF per 60 minutes

Stats

See, he was touted as being a good analytics player, and it seems like that's the way its going in Montreal too.

However, when I watch him play, I feel like he is slow and a turnover threat under physical pressure.

So I have my perception saying one thing (that he's just kind of your average NHL d-man). Then there is the anaytical side suggesting he's one of the more undervalued players in this league.

As a result, I don't know what to think.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
Do you guys think it would be wise to deal DD and Gilbert for a top 9 forward? It would open up the #1C for Galchenyuk, reduce cap-space and we could get a good top 9 forward... Would it be wise?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Do you guys think it would be wise to deal DD and Gilbert for a top 9 forward? It would open up the #1C for Galchenyuk, reduce cap-space and we could get a good top 9 forward... Would it be wise?

I don't think there's a single team in the league looking to take on 6.3 mil in cap.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Steady, what a difference when all your d can pass the puck . Big improvement from last season.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Reminds me a bit of Spacek. You see him on the ice and wonder what's going on but somehow he's +9 rating while everyone else is at 0.

He's fine for what he is. Hasn't hurt us this year.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I think Bergevin went and got Gonchar because Gilbert wasn't doing what he was brought in to do.

Amazing that Gonchar is playing like a top 4 dman and looks good with Emelin.

Our top six:

Markov Subban
Emelin Gonchar
Gilbert Weaver

I hope Beaulieu can unseat Gilbert at some point this season, but I don't think it will happen. Beaulieu will play as the 7th dman and when there's an injury until he proves to MT that he's a head above Gilbert.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well I don't agree about the good defense and being not caught out of position. People blamed Gonchar yesterday on that goal when Gilbert was incredibly soft. You're giving me that same argument as we kept hearing a lot of times about the great Raphael Diaz. Of course, Gilbert is better. But doesn't bring anything than to be okay and be a good filler for spot #5. Which we have too many of right now. We have a PK who doesn't play like a #1. We have a good Markov as #2. We have a Emelin who doesn't play a whole lot as #3. And then the rest are #5 and #6. Gilbert was suppose to help our 2nd PP. Clearly doesn't do it. And his soft and bad decision making do not make him a top 4, which was the whole point of getting. This is not about being satisfied with a guy who is okay as a bottom 2 d-man. It's about solidifying our D. And since nobody is leaving our squad except Weaver who could, Gilbert with somebody else might be helpful in getting a true upgrade. Is this team supposed to be a contender? And if so, Gilbert CLEARLY fills the portrait of a top 4 in a contending team? I'm expecting more.

I never said he's mistake free, so point to one instance, or even 5 for that matter, is irrelevant. Mistakes will always be made. I agree that offensively he hasn't been what we'd hope. Maybe that will change. Still, he's not as bad as people make him seem.
Is Handzus a #2 center on a cup team? Winning teams can have weak spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad