Movies: Tom Cruise

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Where does his legacy stand as an actor? The guy is 54 and seeing him in the last MI he doesn't plan on aging anytime soon. He looks like he could be in his upper 30's.

The last MI was boring and predictable - I feel like the franchise has done enough but they're making another one. Interesting some of the stunts he did on his own.

Top Gun 2 is in the works.

He has a bit of a bad rap due to Scientology and strange divorce arrangements. Whacky behavior during interviews.

What are your favorite roles? He's been going strong for over 20 years.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I like the Mission Impossible franchise a lot, and like him in pretty much all his action/adventure movies. He's solid. Personal favorite? The Color of Money.

He's always going to be known historically for his offscreen stuff more than his on screen stuff, sadly.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Tom Cruise is great, agreed that he got a bit of a bum rep for that weird stint in his life in the mid 2000's.

His performance in Collateral is my absolute favorite from his - I believe his only villain role and he kills it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Always a quite good but never truly great actor. He'll be long remembered for Mission Impossible but the legacy of that series is arguably outweighed by Bond and Bourne.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Risky Business:

"You know, Bill, there's one thing I learned in all my years. Sometimes you just gotta say, "What the ****, make your move."

Literally said that quote at my college application interview. Although to be honest, my admissions officer was also my cousin otherwise I wouldn't have had the stones to say that.

Edit: That's from the Princeton interview scene for those who don't know the movie.

Last edited:

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
He's a whacko in real life but a good actor. I think he needs to make better choices when choosing movies, he seems to star in a lot of crap these days, but $$ speaks

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he's got some good stuff, especially in the 80s

jerry maguire was really good too but i haven't seen a decent cruise flick since eyes wide shut

and the guy is a psycho in real life

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Tom Cruise is a great man but his interception in All The Right Moves looked horrible. Looked like they threw it to him 50 times to get that weak INT.

Lost a lot of respect for him as an athlete.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
He's one of those leading actors I'm completely indifferent on. I don't avoid his movies, but I generally don't take an interest in wanting to watch them. He was funny in Tropical Thunder, that's probably the only time I've wanted to watch his performance over again.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Tom Cruise is a great man but his interception in All The Right Moves looked horrible. Looked like they threw it to him 50 times to get that weak INT.

Lost a lot of respect for him as an athlete.

Lol, I saw something where he showed up in Cali and drove an F1 car - did really well too. For most it would be difficult to get around the track once.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Wouldn't say he is my fav actor... but dude has a solid list of flicks, hasn't really done a "bad movie"

From what I hear he does a lot of his own stunts too and a very hard worker on set.

Yes, the craziness in early 2000s turned made me think he's a little out there, but never deterred me from enjoying him as an actor... but I really don't give a **** about celebrities or their private lives... just the work they do matters to me really.

Minority Report, Edge of Tomorrow, Mission Impossible franchise, Few Good Men, Tropic Thunder, War Of Worlds, Magnolia, Interview With Vampire, Oblivion, Risky Business, Top Gun, Collateral and Rain Man are all movies I have seen multiple times and thoroughly enjoyed each time.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As a movie star he has had a very long and spectacular career, making entertaining movies almost every time out. As a serious actor, he is good, but not in the first tier and probably not in the second tier either. I'd place him in a league with guys like Kurt Russell, Mark Wahlberg, Harrison Ford, and Brad Pitt, dependable to a fault, but rarely truly exceptional.

Best performance: Rain Man (I actually think he had the more difficult role); runner up: Collateral.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Have to say I like most things he's been in. Edge of Tomorrow was great.

I would think Cruise is by far the #1 movie star of all time

By name value maybe. But I'm sure he's not the highest grossing or really anywhere close. He is very good but his personality and association with Scientology will tarnish his legacy. He's not going to go down as one of the best ever like someone like DiCaprio will.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I would think Cruise is by far the #1 movie star of all time
Biggest movie star of this century, maybe. But bigger than John Wayne? Humphrey Bogart? Cary Grant? That would be a stretch.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
of the past 30 years?

yeah you could say he's the biggest. but you can make an argument for dicaprio too

all time? not even close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad