NFL: Tom Coughlin no longer Giants HC

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Giants, like the Colts, need a monster upgrade on defensive talent. That front 7 is just garbage. Best pass rushers were a guy with one hand and a converted full back.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
John Mar press conference summary:

-GM better get a move on with bringing better players on the defensive side of the ball, cause our current staff sucks.

That's a pretty poor breakdown of the presser.

What was basically said is this:

- Mara wasn't happy with how last few seasons have gone. Won't say JR is on the hot seat, however.
- Mara outright said that the player decision making process was split between TC and JR. This is a huge deal, as it is something that many TC defenders have used as a reason to keep him in the past (i.e. that JR was giving him a crap roster to work with)
- Coughlin essentially had final say on the 53 man roster (thus why we saw Jones cut for a scrub like Parker because TC liked Parker, and the Diehl and Kiwi issues in the past)
- JR and Coughlin were splitting the FA duties. Coughlin had about a 50/50 say/power in who the team was bringing in.
- JR will finally get to pick a coach (or have input in it, at least). Because of that, it's now on him. This is now his ship. It is no longer Coughlin's.

Essentially, Coughlin had the same power as Reese. He held a TON of power with the Giants and is at the minimum just as responsible for the roster as Reese was. It's an interesting dynamic and the rumored behind the scenes friction makes a world of sense once you parse through what was going on on the team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
LOL at the owner though. Saying its on the GM but also saying it was time. He was also like we lost some credibility the last few years. I think they lost some this week. Its fine if you want to get a new voice but don't say its the GM's fault then and then keep him. They should go out together. I think age is a factor. One is in his 50s and the other is gunna be 70. If it were the other way around he's easily gone.

You clearly didn't understand the press conference. And your understanding of the Giants organization is generally poor as well.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Well spoken eulogy of Tom Coughlin by Justin Tuck.

As I sit back and reflect on Coach Tom Coughlin, I remember all the one on ones in your office talking football, game plan, etc. I think back to when I was named captain and I used to try and beat you to the facility. I would get there at 6, you where there. I got there at 530 and you were there. 5 am... I knew I would beat you then.. NOPE YOU WERE THERE. I remember feeling the hood of your car and it was cold. Come to find out there were nights you slept in the office. No one worked harder, no one demanded more and I LOVE YOU for it. I chose this picture for one reason and one reason only. Everyone knows you for your dedication to your team and how intense you are on the football field. But I will remember you for helping me become a man and challenging all of us to be better husbands and fathers and men. You did it the right way Coach. And you might be retiring from coaching but I'm sure this isn't a goodbye. That's not in your nature. ‪#‎halloffame‬ ‪#‎5minutesearly‬ ‪#‎areyoush‬*ttingme

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You clearly didn't understand the press conference. And your understanding of the Giants organization is generally poor as well.

Those weren't my thoughts necessarily though I agree with how they made themselves look bad this week. Most of those thoughts were the jibberish I had to listen to that was NY media. Idiots like Chris Carlin, Ramon McAnamey and other doofs on SNY like Sal Lacatta.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Interesting factoid. When Mike Price was fired at Alabama in 2003, Tom Coughlin and Mike Shula were the finalists for the job.

Can't picture him in college. The kids are just too stupid. I mean he said that he didn't know how many personal fouls Beckham had. In college you are pretty much pressured to play your best guy unless he's actually ineligible and the best players(like Winston and Barrett)get breaks where they are suspended for a half or a game against weak opponents.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
BC also isn't expected to win. Its kind of like the difference between Ohio State and Northwestern. Northwestern isn't expected to win. A year like this they cherish. This years Ohio State 12-1 team is a disappointment.

That was also a long time ago before social media and stuff existed. You can't really control NFL players....good luck preventing college kids from doing what they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad