NFL: Tom Coughlin no longer Giants HC

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You take out those 2 lucky January runs his tenure in NY was really nothing special. A lot of average at best teams. I believe one year they were the top seed and lost the first playoff game to Carolina or something.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Don't know who would want to coach this team though. They have no defense. They have Beckham but Jesus the guy is a headache and outside of that they don't have much on offense. I'll never believe Cruz will get healthy and even that he really had one great year and then kinda dropped off.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
You've been hanging with your buddy Johnny Terwiliger too much. No surprise...you weird new england people stick together well for whatever reason lol.
I'm not saying the guy is a bad coach but I am saying his overall giants tenure isn't quite as amazing as spewed.

LOL. I think I've done enough to alienate my fellow New Englanders here to make that statement sound as flat as every other one you make.

I know a sports enthusiast such as yourself may not realize this, but most people would take two Super Bowl wins any day of the week.

Then again, you are a Bills fan, right? :laugh:

The guy took an expansion team and made them a contender in a couple of years. And he won two Super Bowls no one gave his team a chance in. I think he's lost his fastball, but he deserves tremendous respect. You should show some for once.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
LOL.

I know a sports enthusiast such as yourself may not realize this, but most people would take two Super Bowl wins any day of the week.

Packers.

Just because you have two SB rings doesn't mean your overall tenure with a franchise was a success. If anything all it did was keep him around longer when he probably should have been out a couple years ago. Outside of 2011 the last 6 years they were weak. The 2011 team barely made it to boot. I get the giants jammed down my throat where I live I have to suffer with all their games. The team was largely not good. But two runs in the playoffs make him look amazing. Runs aren't uncommon now. Green Bay did it, so did Pittsburgh. The landscape of the game has changed. Used to be if you upset a team in the Division round that non bye week would kill you in the title game. The pass happy NFL has changed this a bit...and not being able to play D.

His Jaguars tenure was more impressive.

Honestly Mike McCarthy is a very overrated coach but 2010 will buy him more time than he deserves. Any other coach probably would have got canned after that Seattle debacle...losing in 2011 in the first playoff game after a 15-1 year and an 8-7-1 season in 2013. I hope after Sunday he is finally canned.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I knew this was coming but I'm glad he is leaving on his own terms.

Forever grateful for Coughlin, thanks for those 2 Lombardi trophies on top on the other 2 we already had. He will do fine elsewhere I'm sure.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
LOL. I think I've done enough to alienate my fellow New Englanders here to make that statement sound as flat as every other one you make.

The guy took an expansion team and made them a contender in a couple of years. And he won two Super Bowls no one gave his team a chance in. I think he's lost his fastball, but he deserves tremendous respect. You should show some for once.

Just put him on block like i did.

On topic; at least they let him step down instead of outright firing him...though it didn't seem like he had much choice. He deserves at least a pat on the back for making the Jags relevant way back when and trolling the **** out of the Patriots.

Wonder if he keeps going or calls it quits. The grind of being a coach has to take a bit out of him at his age.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Just put him on block like i did.

On topic; at least they let him step down instead of outright firing him...though it didn't seem like he had much choice. He deserves at least a pat on the back for making the Jags relevant way back when and trolling the **** out of the Patriots.

Wonder if he keeps going or calls it quits. The grind of being a coach has to take a bit out of him at his age.

The media reports were already speculating this yesterday. He was asked about this after the game and was pissed. I wouldn't say it fully was on his terms. Unless he fully made that decision beforehand but we will never know.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
No, it doesn't. He had a successful go but the last few years they were a joke and so was his coaching. Age was starting to get the best of him. It was showing this year especially.

Not saying age hasn't gotten the best of him. To call his coaching tenure not successful is completely shortsighted and basically false.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Not saying age hasn't gotten the best of him. To call his coaching tenure not successful is completely shortsighted and basically false.

I just think his overall tenure is grossly overrated. There's a difference between people calling it a success and people making it out to be amazing. There were a lot of "lean" years in his tenure. Success? Yes.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Never really liked the Giants but tough not to like Tom Coughlin. One heck of a coach.
I've found it quite easy.

He did grow as a coach when he took the advice to lighten up and became more concerned with winning than players having both feet on the floor in meetings.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Will always be forever grateful and a closet Giants fan for 2007 and 2011. The immense satisfaction those two Super Bowl victories gave me were priceless.

Will be weird to not see him on the Giants sideline.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Coughlin is a damn good coach. But it was time for him to go and he did the right thing by stepping aside.

Probably a year or two too late but it happens

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Coughlin is a damn good coach. But it was time for him to go and he did the right thing by stepping aside.

Probably a year or two too late but it happens

He should have went after 2011 because that team really wasn't that good but came out on top. He had leverage though. He'd never be fired even though if you take out the 2 years they won it all performance says he outlived his tenure a lot longer than he should have.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad