Prospect Info: Toledo Walleye Discussion Thread?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Hopefully this can be a good learning experience for Sebrango, Viro, Cossa and King Tut.

Competition at D will be fierce next year i. GR with Wallinder and Johansson likely starting there. Viro and Sebrango need a good showing and good camp to make that push for ice time.

Cossa needs to build towards starting the AHL and King Tut needs a boost or he'll be headed back to Europe real soon.

Reactions: Filppula

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's 100000% Cossa's net. Yzerman and company will make sure that happens.

I really doubt NHL GMs do any meddling of ECHL teams. I doubt they do much with the AHL either, as that is why they hire people to do these jobs. Not only that but GR and TOL are still there own teams at the end of the day, especially ECHL teams and they will play who they think gives them the best chance to win, which right now is probably Cossa anyhow.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Will be fascinating to see how Watson handles the playoffs between Cossa and Lethemon
Was just thinking about this since Cossa's last 5 games haven't been great. Last night was important for him after Friday's struggle. He'll definitely get the start but needs to step it up a bit or they'll have a hard time keeping Lethemon on the bench.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I really doubt NHL GMs do any meddling of ECHL teams. I doubt they do much with the AHL either, as that is why they hire people to do these jobs. Not only that but GR and TOL are still there own teams at the end of the day, especially ECHL teams and they will play who they think gives them the best chance to win, which right now is probably Cossa anyhow.

in the case of the AHL generally someone from the NHL team does run the team(generally an assistant GM is also the GM of the AHL team, in the Wings case it's Shawn Horcoff and before that it was Ryan Martin)

here's a snippet from the press release the Rangers put out a couple years back when they hired Martin about his previous experience which certainly sounds like about as much control as you'd expect out of that GM title:

Martin also oversaw all aspects of hockey operations for the Griffins, including player personnel decisions, player development, contract negotiations, and player movement.

ECHL teams generally have their own GMs that aren't associated with the NHL team so yeah there's probably a lot less direct control there

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Was just thinking about this since Cossa's last 5 games haven't been great. Last night was important for him after Friday's struggle. He'll definitely get the start but needs to step it up a bit or they'll have a hard time keeping Lethemon on the bench.
Imo, that best stretch of the season happened when GR 5-man unit was helping the team. For last month, they were up at GR. Toledo team was worse and had less depth.

Now all GR guys are sent back again, it should help Cossa too and give them a nice season-ending push at playoff-phase.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Imo, that best stretch of the season happened when GR 5-man unit was helping the team. For last month, they were up at GR. Toledo team was worse and had less depth.

Now all GR guys are sent back again, it should help Cossa too and give them a nice season-ending push at playoff-phase.
No doubt they will benefit a lot from those GR guys but I think sharing the net with Lethemon was also a big help for Cossa after carrying most of the load in the first half.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Detroit has a direct affiliation with Toledo and the top goaltending prospect is there.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I think it's a real stretch any affiliation runs on total autonomy. Infact, I think it's real naive to suggest that with players.

How did Cossa end up in the ECHL to begin with. I doubt it was anyone else's choice but Yzerman's.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I wonder if we would get an administrator to pink this thread like the Grans Rapids Griffins have their own thread.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
How does a guy who didn't even play half the games the goalie of the year?
To be simplistic I think it may have something to do with a W-L record of 18-1-3 including winning his final 14, with a 1.99 GAA, .930 save % and 4 shutouts. He had an outstanding season and it seems to me only Adam Scheel had a case for being placed ahead of him. I guess the answer to the question could be framed as "by outplaying everyone."

As prospects you take the 20 year old over the soon to be 27 year old, but Lethemon's outstanding season is worthy of recognition, even with only 26 games played.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To be simplistic I think it may have something to do with a W-L record of 18-1-3 including winning his final 14, with a 1.99 GAA, .930 save % and 4 shutouts. He had an outstanding season and it seems to me only Adam Scheel had a case for being placed ahead of him. I guess the answer to the question could be framed as "by outplaying everyone."

As prospects you take the 20 year old over the soon to be 27 year old, but Lethemon's outstanding season is worthy of recognition, even with only 26 games played.

Of course he played very well, but to me to win that kind of award, you should really be the starter on your team. Even in the NHL when goalies win the Vezina they still played more than their backup goalies. For example, in the NHL lets say a goalie played 26 out of 82 games and went 26-0, with 26 SO's, I still don't think they win the Vezina. They would get votes, but other great seasons from goalies who played way more games would likely be the Vezina winner.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Of course he played very well, but to me to win that kind of award, you should really be the starter on your team. Even in the NHL when goalies win the Vezina they still played more than their backup goalies. For example, in the NHL lets say a goalie played 26 out of 82 games and went 26-0, with 26 SO's, I still don't think they win the Vezina. They would get votes, but other great seasons from goalies who played way more games would likely be the Vezina winner.
I wouldn't call him a backup, he basically split starts with Cossa while he was on the roster. He missed time at the beginning of the season (injury?) and was called up to GR at the end.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
it probably helps that most of the guys that played significantly more than him were pretty bad

like look at the list of guys that played 40+ games, it's not exactly an inspiring list

c3ad3282e8f9bbfd24c9c6f71271101e.png

but yeah Adam Scheel should have probably won it just looking at stats, he played 37 games and did pretty well in them

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
28 Saves for Cossa in a 4-1 win... Toledo goes up 3-0 in the series

ENG for Sebrango, 2 more assists for Tyutyayev
.966 SV% for Cossa tonight and .958 SV% for the series thus far. :yo:

Tyutyayev at over 1 PPG but also -1 in the playoffs thus far. What a bizarre stat line, but it's only three games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00