Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick, top-10 protect 1st '22 (or 1st+4th '23) and 5th '24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Elliote Friedman on a Canucks podcast said that the Flames and Habs were talking an even bigger trade that probably also included Chiarot. But they ultimately decided to just go with Toffoli.

Reactions: dralaf

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
And that's what scares the crap out of me. Everyone raved about the hiring of Gorton and Hughes but these guys are not superhuman. They w ill have to rely on the amateur and pro scouting set up by the previous administration. When it comes to scouting I thought MB had an eye for talent and was hamstrung by his scouting staff. On the amateur side, let us hope the scouts are good at their job and it was just TT who had his head up his ass. But I doubt that was the case. I think it was the amateur staff and TT who were lost.
The hope is they are able to evaluate a player two years removed from the draft. It doesn't help with this year's draft, but at least in case of Heineman they have 50+ games of high-level, professional hockey as a basis for evaluation. I mean, they can't be completely clueless.

Reactions: Benstheman

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Bit sad to lose Toffoli but he's realistically one of the few forwards we have that could garner a 1st. Hoffman's been brutal, Drouin is injured/sucks, Anderson is signed too long and Gallagher's contract is a nightmare. Had to be done even if I'd have preferred to keep Toffoli to mentor our youth.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The more I think about it the more the return on Toffoli is very avg.
with 2 more Years… Calgary could get him for 2 playoff and still trade him for a 2nd + in the 3 rd year…
When you think Toronto paid a 1st and a 4th for Foligno a 33yo UFA on the decline…
Heinemen is decent but no one had him as one of Calgary top propect…
Odd of hitting on the 1st isn’t high…
To me that a clear win for Calgary and time will tell if it is also a win for MTL. Also

Depends how Calgary does in the playoffs. Could be a late 10's or early 20's. People would have been ok with getting Zary or Pelletier instead of the 1st pick. Yet they are middle 20's pick.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The hope is they are able to evaluate a player two years removed from the draft. It doesn't help with this year's draft, but at least in case of Heineman they have 50+ games of high-level, professional hockey as a basis for evaluation. I mean, they can't be completely clueless.
You're placing too much faith in this scouting staff. Don't forget they stumbled into Suzuki. One year out of the draft they wanted Glass, not Suzuki. I know that's just one example but it's indicative of their incompetence.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Bit sad to lose Toffoli but he's realistically one of the few forwards we have that could garner a 1st. Hoffman's been brutal, Drouin is injured/sucks, Anderson is signed too long and Gallagher's contract is a nightmare. Had to be done even if I'd have preferred to keep Toffoli to mentor our youth.

A late first for Chiarot and a nhl ready prospect(Kravtsov, Lundkvist??) for Lehkonen.

I would consider the 2022 trade deadline a great success for the Habs.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
A late first for Chiarot and a nhl ready prospect(Kravtsov, Lundkvist??) for Lehkonen.

Can't see either guy in return for Lehky. The Rags aren't wanting to add either guy in a potential deal for JT. Miller, but that could change given Miller's ability

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It just means they are working on more trades.
Yes...i'm aware they're working on more trades.

I was just more wondering if more of those trades are imminent, otherwise, I would have expected some type of statement or comment.

But again, I was just thinking out loud.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
You're placing too much faith in this scouting staff. Don't forget they stumbled into Suzuki. One year out of the draft they wanted Glass, not Suzuki. I know that's just one example but it's indicative of their incompetence.

You know we have a new front office right? Let’s wait and see before we accept we’re back in the Bergeplan.

Reactions: Miller Time

RandR

May 15, 2011
Even if it's a rebuild, why not wait a year? Salary was easy to fit, can mentor younger players, was productive in this shitshow this season. Why stockpile 1st rounders in 2022 when you don't even have a director of scouting and that the draft philosophy might not be as precise as it should be? Why not trade him next year for most probably the same return, but with a 2023 1st rounder instead of a 2022 (which we should have another from a potential Chiarot trade anyway)
You make some good points, however, with Toffoli’s good contract I think he is worth more this year than a year from now. While it can always be argued that the Habs could have bargained for a better return, they did trade him only 1/2 season after his terrific 20-21 season. A year from now and Toffoli becomes a year and a half removed from that season, and we wouldn’t want him evaluated based on how he performs on the current tire fire of a team.

Also, in theory at least, the first round pick this year should be on the ice for the Habs a year earlier than a pick next year.

Finally, I think the draft being in Montreal is significant. With the media and hopefully fans in the building, having at least 3 first round picks this year (assuming Chiarot gets a 1st in return) will be a big public splash.

Reactions: Rockomax

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

That’d be okay.
I’d put Petry, Hoffman and Drouin on my trade list before Lehks. Would like to see at least one go.
(I would not turn down either of those prospects for Lehkonen, however.)

Reactions: 1909

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It just means they are working on more trades.

I was just more wondering if more of those trades are imminent, otherwise, I would have expected some type of statement or comment.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Chiarot will be gone in the next two weeks. He almost followed Toffoli yesterday, but the Flames couldn't make the cap space work. 11 teams still interested in him according to insiders.

There might be others that just don't have as much traction yet. Lekhonen is apparently very "on demand" like Chiarot. I saw a rumor linking Hoffman to the Bruins yesterday too.

Reactions: 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad