Confirmed with Link: Toffoli Signs for 3 Years/$4.6 AAV

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think the Kings were protected in '99 from losing a goalie to Atlanta, so they wound up losing Matt Johnson to them.

In '00 they had to protect both goalies again and went 7F-3D-2G.

Palffy, Stumpel, Robitaille, Murray, Smolinski, Laperriere, Buchberger

Blake, Norstrom, Berg

Fiset, Storr

Exposed list:

Forwards - Eric Belanger, Dan Bylsma, Bob Corkum, Allan Egeland, Nelson Emerson, Craig Johnson, Nathan Lafayette, Steve McKenna, Igor Melyakov, Jason Morgan, Jason Podollan, Pavel Rosa, Mikael Simons, John Thomas, Jukka Tillikainen, Marko Tuomainen, Juha Vuorivirta, Magnus Wernblom

Defensemen - Philippe Boucher, Rich Brennan, Garry Galley, Dave MacIsaac, Jaroslav Modry, Jan Nemecek, Sean O'Donnell, Martin Strbak

Goalies- Marcel Cousineau, Michael O'Neill, Steve Passmore, Travis Scott

Boucher pretty much build his career in the seasons after that draft. People should've known. Some GM out there should've at least traded for him cheap.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Sam McMaster was very high on Boucher when the Zhitnik deal took place. It took him about six years afterwards to finally live up to his potential, and right as he hit his stride, the frugal Kings made no attempt to re-sign him and let him go to a division rival as a UFA.

Then again, McMaster also tried to sell us on Tsygurov and called Roman Vopat the "gem" of the Gretzky trade.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Sam McMaster was very high on Boucher when the Zhitnik deal took place. It took him about six years afterwards to finally live up to his potential, and right as he hit his stride, the frugal Kings made no attempt to re-sign him and let him go to a division rival as a UFA.

Then again, McMaster also tried to sell us on Tsygurov and called Roman Vopat the "gem" of the Gretzky trade.

Yup, Boucher left for Dallas....

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Boucher was languishing in Manitoba in the IHL, then Blake got traded, they brought him off the same scrapheap as Potvin, and then the team went on a crazy run that almost got them to the conference final.

McMaster also made that Rangers trade for Norstrom and Laperriere, and also Olczyk for Murray. Like any GM, they won't bat 1.000. Apparently McMaster is still a scout too.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm just hoping the expansion draft goes by without doing too much damage. I hated the late 90s ones since I was a big fan of O'Donnell as well as Matt Johnson. Toss in giving up Timonen and the Kings lost a pair of d-men that went on to play the entire '00 decade and more.

Would be interesting to see which team made the worst moves in relation to the last expansion. Kings got to be up there but I wonder if there are worse stories.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Great, now we're going back and second guessing a move from 19 years ago, involving a guy that was drafted 24 years ago, with the 250th pick, who hadn't played in an NHL game by that point.

We're getting into the paralysis by analysis area now. Literally any move made could go right or wrong. An attempt at creativity in the past didn't work, so don't try anything again. Then we'll complain that coaches don't allow players to do anything, because they may have made a mistake in the past.

The whole point was, better off to just lose someone like Lewis or McNabb and deal with it, rather than giving up assets to get them to take someone else.

McNabb is awful, Lewis was a valuable asset but honestly is probably better suited for a fourth line role on a championship caliber team, I assume if Vegas takes Lewis they will turn around and flip him at the deadline to a contending team that needs a proven winner.

And yes it is comical that the Kings had two marginal goalies that they valued so much at the turn of the century and both were complete garbage.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The whole point was, better off to just lose someone like Lewis or McNabb and deal with it, rather than giving up assets to get them to take someone else.

I'd say it depends on what the deal would be. No reason to close an option if it's there. Who knows what Vegas is thinking exactly.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings now have a lot of money tied up in Kopitar, Carter, Brown, Gaborik, Toffoli and Pearson. That's an expensive top 6.

I believe Blake, Futa and Co. will do everything they can to move Brown with Vegas. Also, I think one of Lewis or Clifford is gone too. That's an extra 2 million savings.

Kings will have to ice a bottom six all making under a million with the salaries of the guys above. They started going that direction last year with Shore, Nolan, Andreoff, Dowd, Kempe, and Brodzinski.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Kings now have a lot of money tied up in Kopitar, Carter, Brown, Gaborik, Toffoli and Pearson. That's an expensive top 6.

I believe Blake, Futa and Co. will do everything they can to move Brown with Vegas. Also, I think one of Lewis or Clifford is gone too. That's an extra 2 million savings.

Kings will have to ice a bottom six all making under a million with the salaries of the guys above. They started going that direction last year with Shore, Nolan, Andreoff, Dowd, Kempe, and Brodzinski.

I'm in agreement. I'd be all for a younger, faster bottom 6 with players who have potential to have big games and attack the other teams bottom 6.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm in agreement. I'd be all for a younger, faster bottom 6 with players who have potential to have big games and attack the other teams bottom 6.

It's coming but not before a few more moves are made....we all want youth, speed and toughness on the bottom 6 but as currently constructed and with our cap implications it'll likely have to wait a year or so..
I like coming on here and throwing out crazy ideas and proposals but the fact likely is that next seasons team will likely look the same as last with maybe one or two different players....Dustin Brown is financially untradable even to LV who McPhee has gone on record as saying will seek a veteran defense to go along with young forwards in the expansion draft.... So lets let go of that idea.. I am all for trading McNabb and Down for LV's 2nd or 3rd rounder though... $2.3 million more in cap space

Adrian Kempe
Jonny Brodzinski
Austin Wagner
Michael Amadio

will likely fill the bottom 6 over the next season or two, along with Dustin Brown, Trevor Lewis, Kyle Clifford (AHL) and Jordan Nolan...

Dustin Brown - Adrian Kempe - Jonny Brodzinski

Trevor Lewis(Austin Wagner) - Nick Shore(Michael Amadio) - Jordan Nolan(Bokondji Imama)

the guys in parentheses i expect to gradually take over those spots at minimum...

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I think Amadio sees time this upcoming season. So does Kempe and Brodzinski for a long time.

Pearson-Kopitar-Gaborik
Kempe-Carter-Toffoli
Brown-Amadio-Brodzinski
Nolan-Shore-Lewis
Dowd

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin/Martinez-Ladue
Gravel-Mcnabb
Or we sign a ufa dman with Greene retiring and his cap hit coming off the books.

If no moves are made this is the best roster we can ice but I have a feeling we will be more active if free agency improve our bottom 6 some more and hopefully unload Brown and pick up an actual top 6 threat moving Kempe to bottom 6 and making us even deeper. Defense is our strongest position can definitely move Muzzin or Martinez.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Seems Blake has learned a great deal from Dean, both his good and bad skills.

This a good kick the can down the road deal while we work to get out of some the other bad contracts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad