Confirmed with Link: Toffoli has been traded to the Vancouver Canucks.

Jun 30, 2006
Did I fart or was this trade made?

I like Toffoli more than most so I guess I'm underwhelmed. All depends on Madden as a 2nd was a given. Let's hope Madden is an NHL player and they hit on the 2nd.

They have a lot of picks, already have a highly rated prospect pool. Blake may be acquiring ammo to get another 1st round pick. I’d be surprised if they use all the picks they have drafting more prospects.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
They have a lot of picks, already have a highly rated prospect pool. Blake may be acquiring ammo to get another 1st round pick. I’d be surprised if they use all the picks they have drafting more prospects.

Yeah. I'm just worried about how many Blake Lizottes you can ice at one time. Being a midget and putting up big numbers doesn't mean shit. See Azevedo, Weal and Kozun.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Come in peace
Really nice trade for you guys. Madden is a late 1st round level prospect at this point who is continuing to trend upward in a really positive manner. I rated him #2 in the Canuck pool and was probably 1 of 2 prospects i wouldn't have parted ways with unless it was for a core piece.

As has been said Tyler Johnson and Braeden Point are the best comps if he can continue his trajectory..

Not sure what he weighs in at but he definitely will need to add some significant bulk and leg drive to create separation so he doesn't just get pushed out of the play. He is very slight at this stage. If his genes and work ethic are an indicator it wont be a problem.

Congrats
According to Northeastern, Madden weighs in at 155 lbs as a 20-year-old sophomore. At 5'11", the kid must be all skin and bones. Once he turns pro, the Kings will need to get him on some sort of nutritional program.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
So it’s better for young players to break in where they could learn from the likes of Michael Amadio and Austin Wagner? I don’t know if you’ve noticed who has consistently remained one of the top producers on this team year after year, but it’s that guy you want the team to get rid of. I’m sure young players can learn more though from playing under the tutelage of Nikolai Prokhorkin.

Actually, yes, in this case it is the lesser of two evils. Bringing impressionable young men who are specifically known for imposing their will into the glorified funeral that will be the next two to three seasons of Kings hockey as badly faded vets cash checks without caring is the worst case scenario.

Anze Kopitar, as good as he is, hasn't made a damn bit of difference for this team in years. He is dead money, a wasted asset. He isn't going to make a difference going forward unless he wants to be dealt.

If Anze Kopitar is comfortable fading into retirement here, I would lose a ton of respect for him, and in no way should that example be set for kids breaking in. You can't have so damn many guys who are okay quitting around a rebuilding team, and moving Anze would return a bundle.

Of course, that would require Blake to be proactive and not just sit around until the next vet comes up on free agency. Not that you understand the difference, of course.

Reactions: KINGS17

bland

Jul 1, 2004
If you’re looking for a good time.. go mention this trade over in the Avs board and see how they response lol
95% of hfboards posters have no idea what they are watching. 98% on this board, but 95% in general.

Of course thats just wishful thinking, but it isn't difficult to imagine how adding Kopitar behind Mackinnon for one player off of their active roster would make Colorado the favorite to come out of the west over the next couple of years.

Reactions: KINGS17 and BigKing

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
95% of hfboards posters have no idea what they are watching. 98% on this board, but 95% in general.

Of course thats just wishful thinking, but it isn't difficult to imagine how adding Kopitar behind Mackinnon for one player off of their active roster would make Colorado the favorite to come out of the west over the next couple of years.

Judging by your thoughts, you fit in perfectly with that 98-percentile.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
It's getting spicy in here

giphy.gif

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

It’s comical some posters have said Kopitar wouldn’t be a difference maker.. Some Avs guy actually defended Kopitar @50% plus Marty fit their 1st and Newhook..

Last edited:

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Good trade for the kings. Re-signing TT would be a total waste. He needs to pair with a speedy playmaker to make up for his own lack of footspeed. Kings don't have that on the horizon.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
From Blake and Yannetti: with credit to Lakingsinsider.com

so... Toffoli, a 22 game rental, for the 4th leading scorer in the nation, that's a Sophomore and leading Northeastern? And 40th ranked prospect in the world? And add a 2nd round, 2020 pick? Unreal.

But the second round pick and Madden represent the prime hauls in this trade. Madden, the son of former New Jersey Devil and three-time Stanley Cup winner John Madden, is a pace-driven center with more skill than his father but less likelihood to win a Selke. “Well, his dad was not easy to play against. I think he has some of that in him,” Blake said. “But I think when you watch him play, you see that he has a mentality of a former NHL player and a coach’s son in the details of the game, let alone a high offense and a high vision and skill. But there’s a defensive element in there, too.”

Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire
More from Mark Yannetti:
“He’s an excellent skater. Multiple gears, change of pace. He’s really smart. He’s a smaller guy, but he’s really good at finding open ice. He’s good on the rush, he shows flashes of a dynamic skill element. Real confident with the puck, really good offensive game. He plays to his strengths really well. He can really skate, he’s really smart, and he’s done nothing but improve since the day he was drafted – or even before he was drafted. He was a guy who really wasn’t on any big radar when his draft year started, and then from right about December-January (2019) on, he just started going higher, higher and higher, and all he’s done is get better and better and better. He’s a Hobey Baker finalist, he’s one of the four leading scorers in colleges. Really good skill, his skating is his strength, Really good agility. Good east-west game, acceleration. What he does is he really uses his change-of-pace, change-of-direction in concert with his skills. There’s a lot of guys that can skate fast and they don’t handle the puck at the same speed, and there are a lot of guys that handle the puck really quickly but don’t skate fast with it. He doesn’t slow down with it, and even with his size, he has the ability to make plays in traffic. Good hands in tight, shifty. Again, he needs to get a little bit bigger and a little bit stronger. He’s never going to be a big-body, big-frame guy, but he competes like he has a frame, you know what I mean? I think when Rob had said one of three things he wanted to build with was culture, I think he’s one of those secondary culture guys and he might have a chance to develop into a primary culture guy. Even at a young age, he’ll help affect the culture.”

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
According to Northeastern, Madden weighs in at 155 lbs as a 20-year-old sophomore. At 5'11", the kid must be all skin and bones. Once he turns pro, the Kings will need to get him on some sort of nutritional program.

True, although from what I've heard he doesn't play like someone so skinny in Div 1 hockey. A real force in the Beanpot game last week. His dad won the Selke at 5'11" 190. Dad says Tyler is way more skilled than he ever was. So if you can put 25-35 pounds of muscle on him, he'll probably be fine. It may take a few years. Hoven said it may be 50/50 that he turns pro this off-season. We'll see. From reports his ceiling is 2C. So not a bad pick up at all if he signs.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

LAKingsInsider

May 15, 2019
I love Toffoli but he didn't perform when we needed him the last few years. We start tanking then all of a sudden he's good again. Like others have said, he's too inconsistent and better to move on.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Wow I know we've sucked for a few years now with many of our cup winning players, and many of us including myself have advocated for trading them. But not gonna lie kinda sad seeing everyone leave. Toffoli will be great in Vancouver.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
It will be interesting (and fun) to see which of the top prospects mesh together and which ones form chemistry. We saw how Kopitar and Brown formed their chemistry...and then Toffoli and Pearson came on and formed chemistry with Carter. The pieces that make up the top tier prospects; Vilardi, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Madden, Kupari, Thomas AND possibly Lafreniere / Stutzle / Byfield, there's a ton of talent and some of these will form great chemistry together. What's even more cool, is there EIGHT top young talents to work with, which means there may be interchangeable tandems and such. It could almost be like the 1980's Oilers, where you have Gretzky, Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Tikkanen, Krushelnyski, and they all could play together. Not that the King prospects are that elite, but have so many possilities for the best top 9 the Kings have had in years. The JADS and Grundstrom's will also be able to compete for line 3 for sure. Arthur Kaliyev is destined to score 30+ goals for a decade...will it be with Kopi? Vilardi? Madden? Turcotte? I don't know, but fkkkkn bring it on!

FINALLY, one of these players will become the 2C that is sorely needed. Who? Madden? Turcotte? Vilardi? let them battle it out. One will rise. Hell, let all 3 succeed and one become a wing and another 3C.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Corey Pronman: Los Angeles is able to land a top prospect, a player highly regarded in the scouting community in Madden, who becomes an important part of its rebuild. Toffoli is a very good player and will help the Canucks a lot. I’m not sold this is a team that is ready to contend this season. They have a good team and some elite pieces in the organization and are going in the right direction.

The Athletic
’s Dom Luszczyszyn also gave the Canucks a 2 percent chance of winning the Cup pre-trade, and in that scenario I’m not a fan of trading a good young asset like Madden for what could be just a rental. There are other pieces in the deal that have value but the timing for Vancouver and the quality of Madden is what struck me at first glance.

Reactions: KINGS17

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kupari will never play up the middle in the NHL. KHL maybe if he finds the learning curve here too long, but not the NHL. He is a Silfverberg style winger in the making. Doesn't know how to play a controlled team game at all, but has terrific outside skills. He is looking at a loooooooong AHL stay.
Moving to wing will shorten that stay. The responsibilities mean his IQ won’t be as much of an issue and his time at C will have improved and rounded out his game. Kempe is the example worth noting here and Kupari is more skilled. I’m not sure Kupari fits long term but he’s potentially a strong asset that we can leverage down the line.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
How will you feel if the Kings resign Toffoli to 2 years for $10 million ($5 million AAV) on July 1?
I would wonder why we did that. It would be absolutely pointless to sign him to that sort of deal. There is no way he’s signing any work for two years anyway certainly not here

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
As for the trade I like it. I always felt like a first round pick would be overpayment for Toffoli and the only way we would get one is if a GM started to panic badly. A well timed hatty does not change his true value. So a second round pick plus a prospect represents good value, the fourth round pick is a nice little bonus. The best part is that Madden could well prove to be a very strong prospect and if he hits his upside it becomes an overpayment after all given he’d probably be a a 1st rounder in a redraft. As such a good prospect at aged 20 is far preferable to an addition 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad