Confirmed with Link: Toffoli has been traded to the Vancouver Canucks.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I don't hate this trade. I thought the return was pretty decent. Really, what LA got is opportunity to make something of a prospect and a 2nd. I don't want the old guard back so I hope he signs elsewhere over the summer. This team really needs to start going somewhere and the players who would turn it on/off back on again need to stay away because it sets a poor example for the newer players. Thanks for the memories TT.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yeah. I'm just worried about how many Blake Lizottes you can ice at one time. Being a midget and putting up big numbers doesn't mean ****. See Azevedo, Weal and Kozun.
You are talking about Madden here ?

19 goals with 27 GP in college, age 20, is incredible.

Azevedo was an overager, Kozun was an overager. Weal is a NHL player.

It doesnt guarantee you a damn thing but not a good well thought comparison.

Reactions: crassbonanza

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Actually, yes, in this case it is the lesser of two evils. Bringing impressionable young men who are specifically known for imposing their will into the glorified funeral that will be the next two to three seasons of Kings hockey as badly faded vets cash checks without caring is the worst case scenario.

Anze Kopitar, as good as he is, hasn't made a damn bit of difference for this team in years. He is dead money, a wasted asset. He isn't going to make a difference going forward unless he wants to be dealt.

If Anze Kopitar is comfortable fading into retirement here, I would lose a ton of respect for him, and in no way should that example be set for kids breaking in. You can't have so damn many guys who are okay quitting around a rebuilding team, and moving Anze would return a bundle.

Of course, that would require Blake to be proactive and not just sit around until the next vet comes up on free agency. Not that you understand the difference, of course.

I'm sorry... But I'm not just going to sit here and let you drag Kopitar's name through the mud like that. Have some respect for one of the greatest LA Kings players of all time.

He 'hasn't made a damn bit of difference on this team in years'???? Really?? You REALLY want to see how bad this team would be without him?? Also, very weird because I seem to remember him being a Hart Trophy finalist and a Selke Trophy winner at the end of 2018. But you're probably right, probably hasn't made a difference on the team in years.

Kopitar is by far the best player on the Kings and he's absolutely not the problem even with his contract. He's not even fading, the team around him is. And he's STILL on pace for yet another 70+ point season. To call him dead money and a wasted asset is so incredibly stupid and disrespectful.

Kopitar is EXACTLY what the Kings need long term while going through this rebuild and will be an incredible mentor to the youth that will be coming up in the next few years. You're seriously underselling the value a player like Kopi brings to the table and the affect he can have on younger players.

I can't wait for him to make you look even more stupid in a couple seasons when we see what he can do when he's surrounded by high end talent.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
can you have diversity if they are all forward prospects? Sounds like Kings scouts have been after Madden for a while (there is a video of LA trying to trade up to get him at the draft) so I will have to trust that too. those guys definitely know more than I. I just wonder if Juolevi was discussed.

Hard for me to knock this deal when every reporter I have read like it for the kings, I just wonder if Juolevi was ever brought up. I also wonder what scouts outside of Vancouver even think of him.

He was likely brought up, but the logic from Benning may have been this kid is our best defenseman prospect and there is a steep drop off to our next best one. He has been playing pro for 2-years in North America, and has an excellent chance to be on our big club next season full-time, we won't move him for a rental.

Reactions: Riofan and YP44

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Coleman = Foote + 1st
Toffoli = This...

As mentioned, Coleman is signed next year for a below average salary is valuable to Tampa. Sometimes I feel like the "first rounder" tag artificially inflates how we view a guy like Nolan Foote. Like if he had gone 33rd instead of 27th, he wouldn't be as highly touted by the general public. Tyler Madden is a great piece to add to a rebuild. While I don't agree with his entire list, but Craig Button had Nolan Foote ranked 38th on his top prospect list and Madden was right behind at #40.

------------

In case it wasn't mentioned, Jim Benning announced that Brock Boeser is likely done for the season so that might be why they did the trade ahead of the deadline. Benning also said that they had Madden projected as a winger in the pros. Not sure if Kings management thinks the same, but that doesn't seem like most outlandish thought.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
You are talking about Madden here ?

19 goals with 27 GP in college, age 20, is incredible.

Azevedo was an overager, Kozun was an overager. Weal is a NHL player.

It doesnt guarantee you a damn thing but not a good well thought comparison.

Yeah: he's a better prospect than those guys. He's also still only 155 pounds as a nearly six foot tall 20 year old in his second season of college hockey.

You can give me all the small guy success stories but that doesn't change the fact that I'd rather be seeing this type of production in a larger frame.

Glad to have him in the prospect pool but I'm concerned about his size: especially as a center.

Reactions: YP44

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
I think this is a huge gain for the Kings.
Toffoli will be an UFA at the end of the season so we could get him back in five month for free - which I really doubt will happen.
Madden is a very intriguing prospect plus a 2nd round pick and a warm body in Schaller who should help with tanking.
That is a lot more than I expected. Wonder how much we will get for Martinez.
The only thing that irritates me is that we are so stingy with Cap space.
Yes we retained 800k on Clifford and took on Schallers bloated salary but if we retained money on TT or even took Baertschi instead of Schaller, wouldn't the Canucks given us even more?
We have so much Cap room and will have a lot more once Amart and maybe Lewis and Forbort are gone.
We should use that asset

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah: he's a better prospect than those guys. He's also still only 155 pounds as a nearly six foot tall 20 year old in his second season of college hockey.

You can give me all the small guy success stories but that doesn't change the fact that I'd rather be seeing this type of production in a larger frame.

Glad to have him in the prospect pool but I'm concerned about his size: especially as a center.

John Madden played at 5'11", 190. I'm willing to bet Tyler isn't coming to the NHL at 155 unless his mom is an Olympic marathon runner. I'd actually be shocked if he's that at age 20, given how shitty the updates we get from other leagues are.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We basically got the equivalent of a 1st and a 2nd for Toffoli. Not sure what you're complaining about.

where is the first? I don't think Madden = a first?

I think this deal is fair as I never thought Toffoli would get a first back.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
6’ 190lbs is the new player build for the nhl. The days of your top forward being 6’4” 225 lbs is fading.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

Yes but he doesnt need to wear a Kings sweater next year, BK and he is 5’11....not 5’9 or smaller.

If he is still 160 lbs within two years, than that’s a problem....a luxury problem.

This says it all. Looks like a nail to me.

Desn3daXUAEDJcX

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Value wise fair or not, I would have just wanted a standalone first.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Yea I feel the same. Though I am under the impression Madden is a guy the Kings scouts are high on and probably wanted to draft. I'd imagine there had to be better offers as far as picks go

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Sorry if posted previous...

February 17th, 2020
Vancouver Acquired: Tyler Toffoli
Los Angeles Acquired: Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2nd-round pick (2020), Conditional 4th-round pick (2022)

Prospect:
Tyler Madden
2019-20 Stats: Northeastern University (NCAA) – 27GP-19G-18A-37PTS
In many respects, Tyler Madden, the centerpiece prospect returning to Los Angeles in the Tyler Toffoli trade, is the same player he was when the Canucks selected him early in the third round of the 2018 draft. The son of long-time New Jersey Devil John Madden, Tyler is a chip off the old block. He is small and very lean but reads the game like a Nobel Laureate and can be an absolute pain to play against.

He was more of a defensive forward in his USHL days, with only moderate production with Central Illinois and Tri-City. Once he reached the college ranks with Northeastern, he began to play with more skilled players and the skills he had underlying his game came to the fore with greater regularity. Despite his fantastic numbers as a sophomore this year, the Kings should not expect more than good middle six production at the highest level. He has good hands and puck skills and demonstrates goal scoring instincts, but the minutes he gets for NE (often more than 25 per game) will not be there as a pro and the skills don't portend to first power play duties either, where he has picked up 16 of his 37 points thus far. – Ryan Wagman, Editor in Chief McKeen’s, Senior USA Prospect Analyst

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I get it, really I do: it's just gnarly that he would still be at 155 pounds at 20 years old while already having a year of NCAA level strength conditioning.

I do like targeting a prospect that is further along as opposed to a standalone first since the latter is harder to get. With the Kings own 2018 1st rounder not exactly being a slam dunk, it is nice to add to that draft year: especially after appearing to load up nicely in the '19 draft.

Obviously want Laf out of this upcoming draft but, outside of him, it would be nice to add some high-end defense to the pool. Doesn't Carolina have a ton of D prospects? Maybe a Martinez trade can include a pick + a good D prospect.

Reactions: 3firstnames

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

If they had someone better to trade than Toffoli, maybe they could've gotten a better prospect. If Madden was bigger and putting up that production, the Canucks aren't trading him for Toffoli.

We don't know if that was offered by anyone. The potential of an unknown 1st rounder in the current year over a smaller former 3rd round known quantity is going to be more appealing, but you have to take what you can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad