Todd Richards future?

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Not sure how much impact they have had, but Hartsburg and Acton probably play a big role as well as Ian Clark. There hasn't been much written about how much or if Richards leans on his assistants.

The PP hasn't been good, but the PK and system have been adhered to pretty consistently since the chase began. When the Jackets are on, they are usually forechecking hard and the forwards are busting ass to get back to help their defenseman. Bob has shown what good to great goaltending can do on a nightly basis. Good fortune plays a roll too. Turnovers in our own zone have rarely found the back of the net, thanks to Bob.

Richard's should be back and an extension doesn't have to given till next season, lame duck or not. Coaching for a contract may be a good thing.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Not sure how much impact they have had, but Hartsburg and Acton probably play a big role as well as Ian Clark. There hasn't been much written about how much or if Richards leans on his assistants.

apparently they've all been HUGE influences...we have a really good and well respected coaching staff for once...and not a laughing stock...

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

The PP hasn't been good, but the PK and system have been adhered to pretty consistently since the chase began. When the Jackets are on, they are usually forechecking hard and the forwards are busting ass to get back to help their defenseman. Bob has shown what good to great goaltending can do on a nightly basis. Good fortune plays a roll too. Turnovers in our own zone have rarely found the back of the net, thanks to Bob.

Richard's should be back and an extension doesn't have to given till next season, lame duck or not. Coaching for a contract may be a good thing.

I agree. I think we finally have a good set of AC's.

mnblueliner

Mar 24, 2013
The starting block for nay coach is to have a culture where players will play for you. These guys are playing hard - he has the locker room behind him. Next is the x and O stuff. I cannot say whether he's the greatest game plan guy or the coach with a plan (Guy Boucher?), but nothing has shown me he is not competent. I would make make sure he always has one year beyond the year at hand. If we have to eat it, so what? Management needs to show they believe so the players believe.

I agree with this 100%. Richards has done an outstanding job in changing the culture of the Blue Jackets. Its obvious the players have confidence in him and believe in themselves. He deserves to stay on with an extension and see what he can deliver.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm torn on the head coach position. Part of me thinks it would be good to keep Richards around for consistency, but the other part of me knows his coaching really isn't that good. He rode a hot goalie and he had players that played with a lot of heart. I don't like his inability to make changes up front when changes are needed.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
can't edit my posts, but anyways, I do think the ability to make adjustments when needed to the lineup is something that will come with more experience possibly, so maybe it is something that Richards will improve at. At any rate he probably has earned an extension.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We have to keep Richards. What message would it send to the room to replace him after the season they just had? They love coach, and coach loves the team. Keep.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
can't edit my posts, but anyways, I do think the ability to make adjustments when needed to the lineup is something that will come with more experience possibly, so maybe it is something that Richards will improve at. At any rate he probably has earned an extension.
. With all due respect I don't agree with your initial assessment and find your softened position on this post as validation of my thought on your initial assessment. We all saw what happened to Ken Hitchcock when he lost the room. These guys respect Richards and that goes along way. CBJ are building a team here. I'm not talking just about the players. This is about fans, coaches, management and players. Right now Richards and his staff are integral parts of this team. To even suggest a change is ludicrous

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
To me it all changed when Arniel was sacked and Richards took over. His first words was "go out there and have fun"!
If he does not stay for next season I will be shocked!! And pissed!!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Fire him! he couldn't make the playoffs! :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

he will be back and deservedly so.

I guess the emoticon explanation is for those who often miss the point.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
To me it all changed when Arniel was sacked and Richards took over. His first words was "go out there and have fun"!
If he does not stay for next season I will be shocked!! And pissed!!

Here's the deal. I have no idea of Richard's or Arniel's coaching systems, personalities, etc. But I know this....

Under Richards, this team has not lost a game when leading after 2 periods. Team plays with a lot of poise.

Under Arniel when we actually did have the lead in the third, we would always collapse. Did not play with poise.

Big difference. To me, we probably had more talent last year (or comparable). But this year when we lead we won.

Richards deserves a lot of credit imo and I too will be pissed if he's jettisoned just because the President and a GM have an ego and want "their guy."

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I don't know if anyone here has had a close relationship with a coach, but I gotta say, having a coach that you and everyone else in the room loves is one of the more powerful things in sports. You don't want to let that guy down, and if you do you feel absolutely horrible inside and out. The room loves Richards, there's no way he shouldn't be around for the foreseeable future.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Finished 8-1 and had a streak of 19-5-5. Both must be franchise bests.

Unless Scotty Bowman is coming out of retirement, it's hard to see how Richards can be fired. Even with a Bowman-type available, it wouldn't seem to be the least bit fair.

If Richards is fired and Umberger is back, then the Billy Goat curse of the Chicago Cubs will seem like child's play:laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Billy_Goat

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
Keep him. If he does bad next year, then get rid of him. He started horribly (As did the team), but the attitude of the team seems to have shifted for the better and finished very strong. He's earned it to be the coach to start next year.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
I've lobbied for Tortorella to change the culture. Indirectly he did with the infusion of Rangers on this roster. At this point, we no longer need someone to shake up the room. I'm all for keeping Richards. Under his watch he cleaned up the Arniel mess and led us to within 1 py of the playoffs.

CincyHatTrick

Jun 26, 2006
Cincy
Keep the man. The momentum he has built during this season, the way the team played has been a reflection of the staff as much as the people on the ice who carried our the message.

That said, the whole concept of "lame duck" has always bothered me. Just because a coach has a longer contract, doesn't mean he is immune from being fired. Same goes the other way, working in the last year of a deal, big whoop.

Tuning out a coach b/c he is a "lame duck"(not saying any CBJ players would do so) speaks more to the lack of professionalism and personal pride of the player than the coach. I dont' see that happening with this team or the leaders on it.

Richards doesn't need a new 5 year contract, but he's earned the right to coach this team thru a full regular season.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Keep him for two years then adjust if required... He has earned more years in Columbus.

Disagree. No reason to rush into a contract extension. He deserves to coach out his contract. It's huge to get off to a good start next season. If he get's this team to the playoffs next season a contract extension or a different head coaching job will have been earned.

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
42-38-9 over a 1/2 season and a shortened "full" season.

The team played all out for him. Keep him.

Agreed unless the team tanks for him. He has them playing at a high level and it shows. Unless he fires himself he deserves an extension, but I have no problem with us waiting until next year to sign it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad