Todd Richards future?

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Wild fan here, Just a quick question what is the thinking in Columbus about Todd Richards future in after this year, I am going to guess a few big name coaches will be available after this year and I figure Davidson and Kekalainen may want to make a big splash with a new head coach next year? Or has Richards done enough to earn another year. Sorry if this has been discussed already just curious what the talk is in Columbus about this since Richards did coach the Wild also

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Wild fan here, Just a quick question what is the thinking in Columbus about Todd Richards future in after this year, I am going to guess a few big name coaches will be available after this year and I figure Davidson and Kekalainen may want to make a big splash with a new head coach next year? Or has Richards done enough to earn another year. Sorry if this has been discussed already just curious what the talk is in Columbus about this since Richards did coach the Wild also

Seems to me he has earned another year.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

It has been said many times that the coaching staff is a big part of why the team is where they are right now. Richards has earned the right to stay here.

Even still, I can't see how you replace a coach that has taken them from 30th in the league to within inches of the playoffs at this point. If you do it is changing coaches just for the sake of changing coaches.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's had to have earned another year. What message does it send to the players to fire him after that streak? They love him, and he's the right guy for this team. Keep please

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Can't deny how the team is playing, I still don't think he's a very good NHL head coach. He has the guys motivate, but this guy doesn't know how to make line adjustments. Only one of the lines have been working and it took them forever to adjust the defensive pairings quickly. Maybe if he could put someone else in charge of picking the lines, I'd change my mind, but right now this team is squeaking by, they need to change things up on the forwards.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Can't deny how the team is playing, I still don't think he's a very good NHL head coach. He has the guys motivate, but this guy doesn't know how to make line adjustments. Only one of the lines have been working and it took them forever to adjust the defensive pairings quickly. Maybe if he could put someone else in charge of picking the lines, I'd change my mind, but right now this team is squeaking by, they need to change things up on the forwards.

Yeah,but the trade deadline has passed :sarcasm:

I think he stays and he should. What I don't know is if they extend him now or wait. It makes him a lame duck if they don't and they risk a problem if they do and the team turns into a one hit wonder.

I vote to keep him. He has earned it.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

I think he stays and he should. What I don't know is if they extend him now or wait. It makes him a lame duck if they don't and they risk a problem if they do and the team turns into a one hit wonder.

He's earned another year. I would rather they not give him an extension, though. Let's see how it goes next year.

I've never understood why a coach is a 'lame duck' on the last year of their contract. I understand why a general manager could be considered that as they often have to make decisions that have long-term consequences. A general manager with an expiring contract may act very differently at the trade deadline than one with a long-term contract.

Most coaches are focused on the next game. I don't really think a coach is going to use different lines or systems if they are on the last year versus having another year on their contract.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
He's had to have earned another year. What message does it send to the players to fire him after that streak? They love him, and he's the right guy for this team. Keep please

Personally, I agree wholeheartedly. But I still wouldn't be shocked if Jarmo and JD have a guy in mind who they think may push us over the edge.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He's earned another year. I would rather they not give him an extension, though. Let's see how it goes next year.

I've never understood why a coach is a 'lame duck' on the last year of their contract. I understand why a general manager could be considered that as they often have to make decisions that have long-term consequences. A general manager with an expiring contract may act very differently at the trade deadline than one with a long-term contract.

Most coaches are focused on the next game. I don't really think a coach is going to use different lines or systems if they are on the last year versus having another year on their contract.

I think the issue with a lame duck coach is the players tuning the guy out because he is (might) not going to be around next year.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Personally, I agree wholeheartedly. But I still wouldn't be shocked if Jarmo and JD have a guy in mind who they think may push us over the edge.

Generally such a move would only be made after the pieces are in place to contend, but the team keeps coming up short. Making a move now, when the consensus around the league is that this team is a lot more productive than the actual talent would dictate, is a perfect example of putting the cart before the horse.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
If Richards is let go after this season for some handpicked guy I will seriously question it. I'm not ready to trust JD/JK so emphatically if they try to fix something that is working. I think that would be a big blunder

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The starting block for nay coach is to have a culture where players will play for you. These guys are playing hard - he has the locker room behind him. Next is the x and O stuff. I cannot say whether he's the greatest game plan guy or the coach with a plan (Guy Boucher?), but nothing has shown me he is not competent. I would make make sure he always has one year beyond the year at hand. If we have to eat it, so what? Management needs to show they believe so the players believe.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I suspect Richards is going to be the coach that gets us into the playoffs and even into the second round, but won't have quite enough juice to make us Cup contenders. That will be for the NEXT coach - once this year's draft picks mature. But don't cry for Todd Richards, he'll have no problems getting a head coaching job with the still-lowly Edmonton Oilers. ;)

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle

Agree with this.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Forget Richards. Jarmo needs to summon the guy in charge of the power play.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The starting block for nay coach is to have a culture where players will play for you. These guys are playing hard - he has the locker room behind him. Next is the x and O stuff. I cannot say whether he's the greatest game plan guy or the coach with a plan (Guy Boucher?), but nothing has shown me he is not competent. I would make make sure he always has one year beyond the year at hand. If we have to eat it, so what? Management needs to show they believe so the players believe.

I agree with this. He seems to really have galvanized the room. It must have been tough with the poor record to start and so many close losses. And it must be very gratifying now that the team is learning to compete.

As far as tactics/line changes, criticisms of Richards seem fair. He does seem a bit hard-headed about that, and the finish that the 3rd line had in Colorado probably encourages that. Although recently he has admitted to manipulating combos in order to spark something.

Yeah, the power play really is so atrocious. It hasn't helped that Wiz has missed chunks of time, and now Brass is gone. If the PP were only halfway decent :help:

Why isn't Erixon playing, again? Did he get hurt?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

I don't see why you would extend him. He has to prove it in a full season. We have been good this season, because we have played hard and Bobrovsky has been great. It would be a big mistake, IMO, to extend him now when you don't have too.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

I agree. A coach is coaching to win the game they are playing. A GM is trying to win now, but also improve the team for the future. A coach will continue to try to win the next game no matter how many years are on his contract, because that is how he will get a new contract. A GM might change from worrying about the future to only worrying about the current year which could be really bad.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
In Bob Mckenzie's coaches poll, Western Conference coaches voted Richards third for the Western Conference coach of the year.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How do you not bring the guy back?

He's done more than anyone could have reasonably expected. The team is on the cusp of a playoff berth and the players obviously buy into what he is teaching.

Barring a huge name coming in, it would seem to be a forgone conclusion that Richards gets to work the final year of his contract.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

We HAVE a power play? :laugh: I just read the Jackets are 5 for 59 on the pp on the road. :help: That's 8% and change. Right Roadman? :laugh:

Also read Jackets are 16-4-5 since we were debating Jones or Mackinnon. I can't believe they fire TR and would be most amazed if they didn't extend him at least 2 years.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Given what's going on, only trolls and lunatics would debate this now.

=Topic Closed by JF the Shadow Mod=

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad