Todd Reirden says T.J. Oshie will be out a while | No suspension for Warren Foegele

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Not sure if that is a crosscheck or a dirty push from behind, did not look like a cross checking motion but it was dirty

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Pull up on youtube the Ovechkin hit on then Blackhawks Brian Campbell back in 2010. Very similar hit/situation. Ovechkin got a game misconduct on that one and a two game suspension. We'll see what what if anything DOPS does in this matter.
I was thinking the same. It wasn't much more than a push by Ovi. Of course that's when the NHL establishment was trying to neuter Ovi so that some "favorite son" could be the "best" :rolleyes: Then again the only thing consistent about NHL just-us is the inconsistency :ha:

Reactions: Drakon

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Don't like the hit, but it was not vicious. Watch the replay. After the hit all Caps go for the puck. When there is an obvious, vicious, intentional hit that injures, the players immediately go after the player who did it.

Minor was warranted. Suspension would be surprising. No history, no intent. If he wanted to injure, he could have rocked Oshie's world.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I had to hear that Ovechkin should choose not to fight a guy because he was too young but Foegle pushing a guy with 2 hands in the lower back 8 feet from the boards is just a hockey play? What kind of f***ery is this?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Don't like the hit, but it was not vicious. Watch the replay. After the hit all Caps go for the puck. When there is an obvious, vicious, intentional hit that injures, the players immediately go after the player who did it.

Minor was warranted. Suspension would be surprising. No history, no intent. If he wanted to injure, he could have rocked Oshie's world.
Intent isn't needed Look at Kadri on Backstrom suspension (his 1st suspension)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Honestly this. The ice there is probably some of the worst in the league.
it's flat out the worst IMHO. Seriously when Donnie died it basically went from best to worst in the league overnight despite hiring a guy that was considered an ice guru.

Regular season I would say good chance this hit gets a couple games, but in the playoffs for a guy with zero history? Not seeing it. I wouldn't say it won't happen because DoPS is about as inconsistent as it gets.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Normally I'd say result shouldn't matter, but on something like this it should. Players should never crosscheck there because it can lead to a serious injury. Usually guys are on balance though, so it happens plenty without repercussion. Here, Oshie gets hurt. Foegle should miss as much time as Oshie does (for this series, at least). His dangerous play hurt someone- it's not egregious, it's not violent, but his stupid play put the other team at a disadvantage in the series and so that needs to be balanced to discourage guys from crap like this in the future.

As to when result shouldn't matter.. see Malkin's beheading attempt that got him only 1 game.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I'm going enter very gingerly into this topic as I know tensions are understandably high. I just want to say as a Canes fan I am tremendously and genuinely sorry about his injury. Petty fan hatred aside I don't wish that type of injury on anyone and I understand if Caps fans are livid.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Sucks he got injured, but I don’t see a suspension there. I don’t think there’s even a penalty on that without the injury.
Ovie got suspended a few years back for similar hit to Duncan Keith. Shove to the small of the back, 5-10 feet from boards, sending guy to the ice and into the boards (and into extended absence from play).

I’d guess 1-2 games.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ovie got suspended a few years back for similar hit to Duncan Keith. Shove to the small of the back, 5-10 feet from boards, sending guy to the ice and into the boards (and into extended absence from play).

I’d guess 1-2 games.

But OV launched him at a high speed skating down the length of the ice where as this is a low speed nudge by comparison

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Those types of pushes happens almost every shift... just unfortunate to see him lose his balance and cause of that it looks real ugly. I honestly wouldn't doubt if Foegele gets a suspension. Maybe just a game.

HUGE loss for Caps though

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
After watching it like 10 times:

It was a horribly unlucky sequence. The shove probably should be penalized, but Oshie lost his balance in a very weird way. I don't see "vicious" here. Shoves like that happen quite often and result in nothing.

But whatever - DoPS will decide.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Unfortunate but hes not much of a playoff performer anyways.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Sure. Cap does that to a Cane, and the world is on fire (or a Cap wins a fight against a Cane and he’s the Devil).

I’d expect the Caps to now be fully engaged. Congrats Canes — you may have finally awoken the sleeping giant.

There is no bias by anyone against the Caps, why do so many fanbases think there is some kind of bias by other fans, the officials, media or league against their team?

Unfortunate play, might get a game but come on, the fact that it's the Caps has no bearing.

Reactions: turtle27

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I don’t think it was predatory or malicious the hit itself it’s just damn unfortunate what the end result was.

No doubt this means someone will be after Foegele(?) if he isn’t suspended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad