Todd McLellan Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
You mean favourites like Mark Letestu, Milan Lucic and Matt Benning?

Or sticking with basket case Talbot while a better option sits on the bench?

Or killing young prospects?

Or when needing the tying goal with the goalie pulled, rolls out the fourth line because McDavid and Draisaitl are tired.

This is **** he does or has done.
I’m sorry, but I’m not sure how these guys are considered favorites. Each of those players you mentioned have declined in ice time significantly from their previous years with the Oilers. Benning especially. Lucic is also down significantly from the 17’s in 2016-2017 to the 14’s now. I hear what you guys are saying, but the significantly decreased ice team seems to suggest he’s not playing favorites with these guys.

Koskinen appears to be playing better without a doubt. But seeing how Talbot has been the undisputed #1 since he arrived, I can see why there’s been some loyalty there to allow him to play through it. But based on the starts, it appears Koskinen has effectively become the #1 as he started once in October and has started 6 in November. So I think he’s already where you are and has been there for a while now. Talbot also likely started yesterday because it was a back to back as well.

Reactions: bukwas

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I’m sorry, but I’m not sure how these guys are considered favorites. Each of those players you mentioned have declined in ice time significantly from their previous years with the Oilers. Benning especially. Lucic is also down significantly from the 17’s in 2016-2017 to the 14’s now. I hear what you guys are saying, but the significantly decreased ice team seems to suggest he’s not playing favorites with these guys.

Koskinen appears to be playing better without a doubt. But seeing how Talbot has been the undisputed #1 since he arrived, I can see why there’s been some loyalty there to allow him to play through it. But based on the starts, it appears Koskinen has effectively become the #1 as he started once in October and has started 6 in November. So I think he’s already where you are and has been there for a while now. Talbot also likely started yesterday because it was a back to back as well.

Lucic has 2 goals in all of 2018. The fact that he hasn't been 'given time in the press box to see the game from a different perspective so he can try and find his game' like he has done with others who produced more (Yak & Puljujarvi... sensing a theme) shows he plays favourites and that Lucic is one of them.

I'm tired of his stubbornness, his being out-coached (when it comes to line changes or simply calling a timeout when needed) and can't wait till he is fired. Chia too. Can we fire Katz while we're at it...

Reactions: ElysiumAB

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
GM is at fault not coach. Reminds me of Stars in previous years. Maybe the two elite forwards can drag you into the playoffs. But this is not a contender there's no depth.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
They need to draft well outside the top 5, which is something they have failed to do for most of the post-Gretzky era.

That is funny considering for the past 10 years they have drafted outside the Top 5 in the first round....4 times.

A total of 6 Top 5 picks from 2009 including 4 first overall picks (and a gift in McDavid).

Those top 5 picks are:
2010 - Taylor Hall (traded to NJ for Larsen)
2011 - RNH (Larsen was #4 in 2011)
2012 - Yak (gone)
2014 - Draisaitl
2015 - McDavid
2016 - Puljujarvi

The 2013 7th pick was Darnell Nurse.

Anaheim, Carolina, Minnesota, Nashville, SJ, Calgary and Vancouver have NEVER had a first overall, they should sue the Edmonton organization for negligence.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Can someone who thinks Todd McLellan needs to be fired please explain to me what another coach will do that he hasn't already tried. Unless he double shifts McDavid all game there really isn't much a new coach can do to improve this team.

Reactions: Dan403

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Can someone who thinks Todd McLellan needs to be fired please explain to me what another coach will do that he hasn't already tried. Unless he double shifts McDavid all game there really isn't much a new coach can do to improve this team.

True, but at least he can call timeouts, yell at the refs for f***ing up calls, and line match properly and adapt in game.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Line match? Been 4 years and never saw him do it. There's others but yea simple bench management would be a good start

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Todd's flaws:
a. an outdated chip-and-dump breakout
b. an offensive zone scheme to funnel pucks back to the point
c. whatever powerplay scheme he swears by as best exemplified by a first unit with five left-handed shots
d. not taking advantage of last change (even though this is factually overrated)
e. overplaying goalies
f. poor development of players like Puljujarvi

He also lost the room by this past January, so player buy-in to his systems is at an all-time low.

Reactions: NeverForget06

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Holy crap your right! Let's Petition Daryl Katz to fire Daryl Katz! FIRE KATZ. FIRE KATZ.

You misunderstood a very simple concept. "Blaming" Katz might be the only way force his hand to make the changes he should have made long ago. If you think he'd like seeing his name on TSN every day questioning his competence, then you don't understand wealth addicts.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Firing McLellan isn't going to fix the Oilers, but we all know it's whats going to happen and the front office will wash their hands and pretend like they weren't part of the problem.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Can anyone tell me why mclennan looks so terrible? I was watching the game on saturday and the guy looks like hes lost 50 pounds

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He's an imbecile.

For the sake of the league, McDavid needs to demand a trade. The organization is toxic from top to bottom and they are ruining McDavid.
Honestly. The kid has back to back art Ross trophies and is almost unanimously seen as the best player in the world. If you hate the oilers that's fine. But this utter bullshit that they're somehow "ruining" him is so old and tired. Pull your head out of your ass, the air smells alot better I assure you.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Can anyone tell me why mclennan looks so terrible? I was watching the game on saturday and the guy looks like hes lost 50 pounds

Getting dissed by the media and fans. Things never stay the same way they began

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Honestly. The kid has back to back art Ross trophies and is almost unanimously seen as the best player in the world. If you hate the oilers that's fine. But this utter bull**** that they're somehow "ruining" him is so old and tired. Pull your head out of your ass, the air smells alot better I assure you.
The better outlook here is hes doing it IN SPITE of being with a team thats destroying him.

Is mcdavid a 130 point player on a decent team?

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

Starts by not destroying a top prospect confidence ?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They should probably start by fixing the issues on their roster before they decide to fire McLellan. Is McLellan a problem? Yeah, probably, but fix the roster first and then reevaluate how much of a problem he is. Firing him right now really implies that the issues on this team are his fault.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
They should probably start by fixing the issues on their roster before they decide to fire McLellan. Is McLellan a problem? Yeah, probably, but fix the roster first and then reevaluate how much of a problem he is. Firing him right now really implies that the issues on this team are his fault.

Get where your coming from, perhaps we can grab Letang out of Pittsburgh for Lucic.. you know both teams struggling and all ..... ..... ............. whada ya say ...... . .. .....:naughty::crossfing

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Get where your coming from, perhaps we can grab Letang out of Pittsburgh for Lucic.. you know both teams struggling and all ..... ..... ............. whada ya say ...... . .. .....:naughty::crossfing

Letang has more goals this season alone than Lucic has had in his last 73 games :laugh:

I do think they should be targeting a right handed puck mover, even if the guy comes with warts. Adding someone flawed like Mike Green isn't going to be a solve-all acquisition, but it will at least help. The Spooner trade was smart for the Oilers, because he may just be another player cut from the same cloth as Gagner, but he can still produce (as evidence by him being a 49 point player per 82 games in the last 4 years). They can't be choosers, I think they just need to target guys with warts that still address some problems on the roster. I get the vibe that Edmonton has a lot of safe players that don't really offer much upside, that's not going to get them beyond where they're at right now.

Sure, if you rely on a team with a bunch of guys like Spooner at forward and Honka on defense, your team might flame out and fail miserably. But if you do nothing but rely on low upside and safe players, you won't even have the chance at getting better. It's why I think Sprong is a great target for the Oilers, even if he's just a triggerman with a really great shot, their need for goal scoring is too high for them to turn their nose at Sprong due to his warts. Same think with a guy like Honka in Dallas, they need puck movers really badly, so the gamble is totally worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad