Todd McLellan - Opinions so far

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Why, did someone run the numbers on this?

Someone did last season if I recall correctly, but I can't say who did it or in what thread.

I realize that basically makes my statement meaningless in terms of statistical analysis, but I can promise I didn't make it up :propeller

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I still hold the belief that tmac teams ultimately fail due to fatigue. His system, style and deployment cause significant wear and tear on the players and I think our young team will fall victimto tmac fatigue. I've seen signs already. I'll wait and see but I still view him as a place holder for the coach to take us to the promise Land
I will take failing after getting into the playoffs all day long compared to never making it. I don't think your "tmac fatigue" happens until April/may/June.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Usually not, but young players are notoriously lower in fitness then older players. Our young guys may feel the effects earlier.

Not saying you are correct or incorrect but do you have something to backup this claim regarding fitness and age. I'd be interested in reading up on it.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I still hold the belief that tmac teams ultimately fail due to fatigue. His system, style and deployment cause significant wear and tear on the players and I think our young team will fall victimto tmac fatigue. I've seen signs already. I'll wait and see but I still view him as a place holder for the coach to take us to the promise Land

I think it works both ways, this is too much of a generalization.

Older players may be generally in better shape, simply due to being familiar with the requirements of being a professional, but they also recover slower from physical exertion than younger players do. There's a reason that the peaks ages for athletic performance are typically ~25-30.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I didn't know where else to put this, but one thing I notice time and time again when we have a 3 on 2 is all of the guys end up on the goal line.. the puck will go up the right side, get thrown at the net and a big juicy rebound will pop out in the slot while one of the other players is on top of the goalie and the other is behind him. This is something I haven't seen fixed.. it's a play that happens a lot, but we never seen to have someone be the trailer for that rebound. Has me scratching my head

Coaching problem or player problem?

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I didn't know where else to put this, but one thing I notice time and time again when we have a 3 on 2 is all of the guys end up on the goal line.. the puck will go up the right side, get thrown at the net and a big juicy rebound will pop out in the slot while one of the other players is on top of the goalie and the other is behind him. This is something I haven't seen fixed.. it's a play that happens a lot, but we never seen to have someone be the trailer for that rebound. Has me scratching my head

Coaching problem or player problem?

I think its an issue of not wanting to give up a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 1 going back the other way. The Oilers have been very good this season at limiting odd man rushes compared to previous years which I believe is a big factor in our record right now.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I think its an issue of not wanting to give up a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 1 going back the other way. The Oilers have been very good this season at limiting odd man rushes compared to previous years which I believe is a big factor in our record right now.

But that's exactly what happens.. we end up with 3 guys behind their goal line and the puck goes the other way. Maybe I worded it funny, I just mean we are throwing it at the net on the rush from the outside hoping for a rebound but not leaving someone in the slot to get said rebound, leaving us behind.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But that's exactly what happens.. we end up with 3 guys behind their goal line and the puck goes the other way. Maybe I worded it funny, I just mean we are throwing it at the net on the rush from the outside hoping for a rebound but not leaving someone in the slot to get said rebound, leaving us behind.

I get what youre saying now. I thought you were wanting a 4th player to commit hard to the play and leave one guy hanging by himself.

I think its more evidence of the top line not having great chemistry and Nuge's wingers not having great hockey IQ and them being over agressive at times. I think the new lines should help with this.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I get what youre saying now. I thought you were wanting a 4th player to commit hard to the play and leave one guy hanging by himself.

I think its more evidence of the top line not having great chemistry and Nuge's wingers not having great hockey IQ and them being over agressive at times. I think the new lines should help with this.
I think we've got away for from going to the net these past 3 games also.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Lucic-Draisaitl-Kassian
Lander-Letestu-Pitlick/Slepyshev

Those are the lines today as per Stauffer. Looks good to me!

Bit of a shakeup. I'll take it for now, ideally I'd like Ebs with RNH and a more experienced JP with McDavid.
Lucic and Maroon work for me.. I've wanted Maroon with McDavid and teams are going to hate playing Drai's line now.
JP on Nuge's line is interesting given how that line has been used. We'll see how that plays out, maybe Tmac is changing his game plan and not just shuffling chairs... less top comp should wake up the offense. Also has the result of giving JP more time and responsibility to show where he's at.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
At this point, I think he's actually afraid of Lucic beating him up if he changes the lines.

Wait, Lucic doesn't do that anymore. Maybe he's afraid of Lucic hitting him?

Nope, doesn't do that either.

Hm....

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
At this point, I think he's actually afraid of Lucic beating him up if he changes the lines.

Wait, Lucic doesn't do that anymore. Maybe he's afraid of Lucic hitting him?

Nope, doesn't do that either.

Hm....

He's probably too busy surviving off a steady diet of eucalyptus leaves--poisonous to most mammals but not to Todd.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Terrible personnel decisions at the end of the game. Benning and nurse shouldn't have been out and Nuge shouldn't have been taking that draw.

Maybe if he'd have had a time out left he could have played that differently? Too bad he blew it on a challenge he had no chance winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad