Todd McLellan - Opinions so far

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
if his first seasons are SC finalist seasons really I would pick that over any of the dreck we have had.

just saying ;)

I mean well with this. :D

jk aside Deboers has been the headcoach of not the best lineups either. In saying that I feel that he could've got more out of Florida but theres ALWAYS been problems with that org as well.

His first season has never been a SC final though. Florida he had a great 1st season almost made the playoffs, then regression year after year. New Jersey he inherited a team that made the playoffs year one, round 2, then never made the playoffs again.

We have to wait and see what TM does here. Im sure there was a huge adjustment period for himself this year.

I know one thing, some of the brightest hockey minds in the game have TM coaching teams, Canada, World Cup. Theres a reason for that in my opinion. Now he just has to prove it here.

The exact same can be said for Chia also.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nobody hey? This is the first hit that came up on that 2014 club;

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-the-sharks-will-win-the-stanley-cup/c-713773

Must be my imagination. Plus that entire season the Sharks were considered SC contenders.

We must use different google..:sarcasm:

Obviously it depends on your search terms. If you googles Sharks will not win SC in 2014 (which I suspect you did) you will get negative results. If you google Sharks WILL win cup in 2014 theres supportive results.

But in anycase your statement that;

"Nobody had the Sharks as a favorite"

Is quite clearly erroneous.

btw, laughably your 2nd quote is referring to the 2014-15 season, that being the year the Sharks missed the playoffs entirely. So hint, of course they were not SC favorites that year.

Does it matter what "experts" predict at the start of a season? This year Chicago was a favorite and they got knocked out in the 1st round and didn't even win their division. Calgary was supposed to be a lock to make the playoffs. Sometime things happen or teams don't play to their potential.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Does it matter what "experts" predict at the start of a season? This year Chicago was a favorite and they got knocked out in the 1st round and didn't even win their division. Calgary was supposed to be a lock to make the playoffs. Sometime things happen or teams don't play to their potential.

Well what matters then in the context of a discussion where the person I'm arguing with is saying such things as the 2014 SJ lineup was "not even close" to being good as the current one and that "nobody" ever had the 2014 Sharks being favorites.

I'm merely dispelling mistruths as they occur. Would you have me do different? ;)

Perhaps I should debate less effectively to mirror the efforts of the Oilers org. :D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
His first season has never been a SC final though. Florida he had a great 1st season almost made the playoffs, then regression year after year. New Jersey he inherited a team that made the playoffs year one, round 2, then never made the playoffs again.

We have to wait and see what TM does here. Im sure there was a huge adjustment period for himself this year.

I know one thing, some of the brightest hockey minds in the game have TM coaching teams, Canada, World Cup. Theres a reason for that in my opinion. Now he just has to prove it here.

The exact same can be said for Chia also.

I feel like I'm spending my Saturday afternoon in a twilight zone of mistruths. Deboers took the NJ Devils all the way to the SC final in his first season there.

Are you guys all using Wickedpedia or something? :D

As far as waiting we have no choice do we. That's our lot in life being Oilers fans. Waiting for something.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I feel like I'm spending my Saturday afternoon in a twilight zone of mistruths. Deboers took the NJ Devils all the way to the SC final in his first season there.

Are you guys all using Wickedpedia or something? :D

As far as waiting we have no choice do we. That's our lot in life being Oilers fans. Waiting for something.

Your correct lol Sorry.

Dam thats even worse, he had a good team then turned it into a non playoff time the rest of his days there. Yikes. HOpefully he doesnt do that to the Sharks ;)

Ok enough being a smart ***, wait we have to, lets hope it works out.

BTw, wrong thread but who we trading the pick we get tonight for? ;)

ivanthebad*

Well what matters then in the context of a discussion where the person I'm arguing with is saying such things as the 2014 SJ lineup was "not even close" to being good as the current one and that "nobody" ever had the 2014 Sharks being favorites.

I'm merely dispelling mistruths as they occur. Would you have me do different? ;)

Perhaps I should debate less effectively to mirror the efforts of the Oilers org. :D

Ok. I said not even close. I thought you meant at seasons end. But sure at the beginning of the year "somebody" had them as a favorite to win the cup. But if you want to get technical on wording you said favorites, implying that they were in the same class as CHI as far as unanimous predictions.

You also said that SJ had the best d in the league that year. Burns didn't play d that year, he was forward. You know why he was a forward? B/c the team lacked offensive depth. I highly doubt that a team having to play their dman as a forward was a clear cut favorite as you eluded to. It's no wonder they are better this year. Hertl is not a rookie anymore, they have an actual powerforward taking Burns spot in Ward, and they don't have to play Tommy Wingels in the top 6.

You also paint a picture like TM was not smart enough to recognize where Burns was best fitted. You know Burns played some forward in Minnesotta also? This was not some TM crazy experiment. It had nothing to do with recognition. The team was thin upfront and had a solid dcore without Burns. Playing him upfront would be more on the GM shoulders

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There are 2 things I didn't like this past season about TM. His forcing of the place and chase system which is horrible for our soft/small top six and his love for Woodcroft. Woodcroft is a horrible PP coach and made numerous head scratching PP decisions over the past season.

It looks like PC is starting to build a team that will play TM's system more effectively which is why we will se players like Eberle, Yakupov and RNH eventually shipped out.

PossessedHockeyCard*

Aug 11, 2016
Edmonton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD1SkpBTMu4

Post game Babcock, 8 seconds into the interview: "McDavid played 8 minutes and 15 seconds in the first period. So that helped us too, cuz that's alot of minutes, I don't care who you are. And that helped us, cuz Naz had only played 5, so that allowed him to be alot fresher.."
Reporter: "So you think McDavid tired out, is that what you're saying?"
Babcock: "Well you jam a guy out there, every shift, and like 3 in a row (with a big grin on his face), hard to have the same pop man"

So that's obviously shots fired at his former right hand man.
Maybe Todd is playing him too much for a 19 yr old, that hasn't even reached 60 NHL games yet. Maybe putting him up against the best every night 5 on 5, anchoring the PP, manning the PK, AND leading an NHL team is too much to put on the kid.

I see everyone saying how bad McDavid was last night. So sad.
Just simply credit goes to Toronto for stopping him by committee. The Oilers did not respond to the shut down of Connor last night. When teams use that strategy, it's up to the rest of the team to take advantage of that space and capitalize. The loss is on his linemates and the coaching staff tonight.

I love Todd, but he needs to really look at the lines, and not go by what the public demands. When Lucic signed, everyone was saying Lucic-Connor-Eberle! That's the line that will dominate the league. Then Todd made that line the #1 line right away, no tweeking, no real analysis or experimenting with other players. Lucic's purpose was to protect McDavid. Nazem freaking Kadri tossed McDavid around last night. What more a Getzlaf, Kopitar, Thornton, Benn. The Lucic of old is no more. He'll get in there, mean face, face wash, and a rare fight. But an AHL call up could do the exact same thing. And Eberle is just not on the same page as McDavid. Eberle/Nuge will benefit both of them in so many ways.

McDavid could be so damn much more, Todd has no idea what he has if paired with the right wingers. I hope we see a different #1 line on Thursday.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD1SkpBTMu4

Post game Babcock, 8 seconds into the interview: "McDavid played 8 minutes and 15 seconds in the first period. So that helped us too, cuz that's alot of minutes, I don't care who you are. And that helped us, cuz Naz had only played 5, so that allowed him to be alot fresher.."
Reporter: "So you think McDavid tired out, is that what you're saying?"
Babcock: "Well you jam a guy out there, every shift, and like 3 in a row (with a big grin on his face), hard to have the same pop man"

So that's obviously shots fired at his former right hand man.
Maybe Todd is playing him too much for a 19 yr old, that hasn't even reached 60 NHL games yet. Maybe putting him up against the best every night 5 on 5, anchoring the PP, manning the PK, AND leading an NHL team is too much to put on the kid.

I see everyone saying how bad McDavid was last night. So sad.
Just simply credit goes to Toronto for stopping him by committee. The Oilers did not respond to the shut down of Connor last night. When teams use that strategy, it's up to the rest of the team to take advantage of that space and capitalize. The loss is on his linemates and the coaching staff tonight.

I love Todd, but he needs to really look at the lines, and not go by what the public demands. When Lucic signed, everyone was saying Lucic-Connor-Eberle! That's the line that will dominate the league. Then Todd made that line the #1 line right away, no tweeking, no real analysis or experimenting with other players. Lucic's purpose was to protect McDavid. Nazem freaking Kadri tossed McDavid around last night. What more a Getzlaf, Kopitar, Thornton, Benn. The Lucic of old is no more. He'll get in there, mean face, face wash, and a rare fight. But an AHL call up could do the exact same thing. And Eberle is just not on the same page as McDavid. Eberle/Nuge will benefit both of them in so many ways.

McDavid could be so damn much more, Todd has no idea what he has if paired with the right wingers. I hope we see a different #1 line on Thursday.

babcock should focus on his own team. hes completely ruined Rielly this year thus far

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I give him a B+ thus far overall, specifically this season is an A- thus far. His loyalty to Woodcroft is baffling. I just cannot see the players simply ignoring Woodcroft's braniac system time and again without repercussion from McLellan, meaning it is his system that is the problem.

Otherwise how can I argue 7-2-1??

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I give him a B+ thus far overall, specifically this season is an A- thus far. His loyalty to Woodcroft is baffling. I just cannot see the players simply ignoring Woodcroft's braniac system time and again without repercussion from McLellan, meaning it is his system that is the problem.

Otherwise how can I argue 7-2-1??

As much as Woodcroft is sh** on (deserves it for PP). His PK is 90% and top 3 in the league. Our PP + PK is over 100% right now and anytime that happens you are gravy.Once that combined special teams is under 100% you have to worry. But we arent scoring on PP and arent getting scored on PK. Woodcroft does deserve big props for PK

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Hate to see in the NHL when coaches rob young players of their creativity. Happened to Tarasenko after his breakout year, happening to McDavid. I notice his risk taking is way down this year, and when you're the best offensive player in the game you need to take risks that will put you in situations to make plays. Every time he makes a common risk averse feed to the point to create a bad angle shot, when he could have done way more, I cringe.

6 points in 10 games vs non-calgary flames teams. Including 0 points in 4 games vs 4 bottom feeders. He took more risks last year, McLellan would be wise to lift any leash he has on McDavid immediately. It's a shame for the sport itself, and its a shame for his production. It's really skewed by calgary, it's almost impossible not to score 5 against them right now. Its an outlier. 6 in 10 vs actual teams. That isn't good enough

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hate to see in the NHL when coaches rob young players of their creativity.

He played him 8 minutes in the 1st period, and 22 minutes on the game, and from everything I see he just lets him play however Connor wants to play.

He's the best player on the planet, he just hasn't got a point in a couple games, I suspect he will be fine because he's amazing.

Edit: Apparent the issue with McDavid is many expected him to have a 3pt a game pace?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
McDavid has been flying the zone for break aways all season. That signals a lack of lease on him. Which is a positive as you want that for best offensive threat

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hate to see in the NHL when coaches rob young players of their creativity. Happened to Tarasenko after his breakout year, happening to McDavid. I notice his risk taking is way down this year, and when you're the best offensive player in the game you need to take risks that will put you in situations to make plays. Every time he makes a common risk averse feed to the point to create a bad angle shot, when he could have done way more, I cringe.

6 points in 10 games vs non-calgary flames teams. Including 0 points in 4 games vs 4 bottom feeders. He took more risks last year, McLellan would be wise to lift any leash he has on McDavid immediately. It's a shame for the sport itself, and its a shame for his production. It's really skewed by calgary, it's almost impossible not to score 5 against them right now. Its an outlier. 6 in 10 vs actual teams. That isn't good enough

The coaches job is to win games and so far the Oilers are doing that this year. Guess we'll see if it is a mirage but it's been a great start.

I'll take a Stanley Cup and a really boring 80 point player in McDavid if that's what it takes. McDavid is just a piece in the puzzle and not greater than the end goal.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think hes been mostly good. He has the oilers playing with structure. You cant argue with their record this year.

The powerplay is awful though. Whether thats on Woodcroft or him, it doesnt really matter because hes responsible for Woodcraft. I just feel like its obviously not working and they just keep going with the same thing over and over even though its not working.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think McLellan is a "good enough" coach. Good enough that if the GM makes a team that should be able to win games, they will. He's not gonna totally screw everything up with some wacko game plan to game corsi stats or something. But don't give him project players and ones that can't self motivate, they won't be getting any coddling from the coaching staff. Don't give him players that won't do everything they're told and aren't team players, they will be on the outs quick. And make sure you give his boy Woodcroft all the pieces to construct at least 1 PP unit of elite players in all positions, or your PP is gonna be terrible.

I don't think McLellan is technically a very strong coach, he's not very creative, doesn't adapt very well. But, he is able to keep pushing a group that is generally good at self motivating, and getting guys to buy into the basics that can get the job done defensively. Taking care of things in your own end, and having enough strength and skill to generate chances from the pretty basic offensive game plan, and you should be able to win more than you lose.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'm happy with him overall. He is way too stubborn with his lines and his loyalty to Woodcroft is a mystery, though.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Terrible personnel decisions at the end of the game. Benning and nurse shouldn't have been out and Nuge shouldn't have been taking that draw.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
The next 10 games will be the litmus test for Tmac. Mostly on the road and will he keep playing the top line line till it works, or will he try different combos. We have a lot of options with this team but you have to use them.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Without nitpicking the team looks better. Tmac has the team playing better. Losses will come no big deal. When we get punted out of playoff position then it will be time to panic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad