Todd McLellan - Opinions so far

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Love Todd and I think he's a top 5 coach in the NHL, but I think he got outcoached in back-to-back games.

In Toronto he got too focused on the match-up game and trying to outsmart Babcock he messed up the flow of our lines, if we just accepted the less than ideal 1st line match-up I think we win the other match-ups just through the comparative strength of our roster. Also subtracting some skill from the first line and loading the 2nd line would likely of helped out, e.g. putting Eberle with RNH and Pouliot and then sliding someone like Pitlick up, he skates well enough to keep with McDavid's pace and while not a proven offensive threat he does help rag time off the clock in the offensive zone with his puck pressure and forecheck which is typically desirable in a match-up you don't want. Toronto was dead-set on shutting McDavid down after his prior 5 point performance, sometimes you just concede one guy leave him on an island and focus on getting the rest of the team to pick up the slack.

In NYR we constantly left a player at the side of our net uncovered, we seemed to have the 2nd D playing up to cover the slot and then the 3rd man comes in and slides to the side of the net and we weren't adjusting our coverage to pick that person up, it persisted the entirety of the game and we were always a bit to slow identifying that individual. NYR also utilized screens very heavily in their offensive zone set-ups with their big bodies and we left our best crease clearing d-man in Gryba up in the press box, I got no problem getting Benning some games, but match-up wise probably dictated defaulting towards Gryba.

*M*J*D*

Mar 9, 2003
Regina, Sask, CANADA
I came to the board today to see if McLellan was being discussed, I have to say that i have not been very impressed by him or his staff to this point. Nelson seemed to show much more with much less while he was here. At this point McLellan's reputation largely exceeds his accomplishments in Edmonton. Cutting ties with Yak and Shultz while adding some more responsible defensive players will help any club. A friend was pretty excited when the Oil were 7-1 and I said just wait...they aren't playing good hockey, they will come crashing down...and it seems to be happening now. Talbots heroics really hidden this teams poor play. And at this point I feel it is more of a system thing since Nelson was able to get results with less than McLellan is able to.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I came to the board today to see if McLellan was being discussed, I have to say that i have not been very impressed by him or his staff to this point. Nelson seemed to show much more with much less while he was here. At this point McLellan's reputation largely exceeds his accomplishments in Edmonton. Cutting ties with Yak and Shultz while adding some more responsible defensive players will help any club. A friend was pretty excited when the Oil were 7-1 and I said just wait...they aren't playing good hockey, they will come crashing down...and it seems to be happening now. Talbots heroics really hidden this teams poor play. And at this point I feel it is more of a system thing since Nelson was able to get results with less than McLellan is able to.

Disagree with the bolded, vehemently. We were (before these last two games) 5th in the league in high danger chance %. And by the eye test they were playing well.

In the last two games (Anderson game was an anomaly I would say) they have looked slower to pucks and have turned it over in bad areas. So one of two things is happening: the team is fighting it, or the league has ramped up after the first few weeks and the Oilers have not caught up (yet?).

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
He's gotten out coached the past two games

Toronto: McDavid on like every 2nd shift in the first period... why?

New York: A rookie d man on for the last 2 minutes of a tight game. Oh and the challenge. We could have used the timeout, and everyone and their dog knew that that was goalie interference

Overall, some suspect decisions made by him.

*M*J*D*

Mar 9, 2003
Regina, Sask, CANADA
Disagree with the bolded, vehemently. We were (before these last two games) 5th in the league in high danger chance %. And by the eye test they were playing well.

In the last two games (Anderson game was an anomaly I would say) they have looked slower to pucks and have turned it over in bad areas. So one of two things is happening: the team is fighting it, or the league has ramped up after the first few weeks and the Oilers have not caught up (yet?).

Thanks Bodmanza, from what I have watched I disagree with your assessment, there may be numbers to support improvement and those can be valuable. We can disagree...that is fine.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

New York: A rookie d man on for the last 2 minutes of a tight game. Oh and the challenge. We could have used the timeout, and everyone and their dog knew that that was goalie interference

Toronto - he was very obviously trying to shake McDavid loose from Kadri to get him going. It didn't work. I guess that's McLellan's fault.(?)

NYR - given how shaky the goalie interference calls are at the best of times, why not use the challenge? People would have been yelling at him if he didn't challenge it.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Ahhhh, McLellan's in a slump. He's snake bit. Don't worry, he'll break out soon.

:popcorn:

He wont because his love for Woodcroft is more than Lowe's love for MacT.
Playing Benning in the last 2 mins, sticking with a line that hasnt worked since day 1 of training camp are other minor yet costly faults.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Toronto - he was very obviously trying to shake McDavid loose from Kadri to get him going. It didn't work. I guess that's McLellan's fault.(?)

NYR - given how shaky the goalie interference calls are at the best of times, why not use the challenge? People would have been yelling at him if he didn't challenge it.

McLellan should have been trying to shake McDavid loose from Lucic and Eberle instead of Kadri.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Exactly. Nobody's saying how good the PK is. That's my point.

You can win without a good PP, you can't win without a good PK.

well maybe when we break this 3 game and counting losing streak we can talk about our good PK winning us games.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

McDavid played only slightly more than his usual minutes in the first period of the game against the Leafs, and a few minutes less than his average overall in the game. The idea that he was playing McDavid too much is a myth fed by Babcock's smug attitude.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Lucic-Draisaitl-Kassian
Lander-Letestu-Pitlick/Slepyshev

Those are the lines today as per Stauffer. Looks good to me!

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Love Todd and I think he's a top 5 coach in the NHL, but I think he got outcoached in back-to-back games.

In Toronto he got too focused on the match-up game and trying to outsmart Babcock he messed up the flow of our lines, if we just accepted the less than ideal 1st line match-up I think we win the other match-ups just through the comparative strength of our roster. Also subtracting some skill from the first line and loading the 2nd line would likely of helped out, e.g. putting Eberle with RNH and Pouliot and then sliding someone like Pitlick up, he skates well enough to keep with McDavid's pace and while not a proven offensive threat he does help rag time off the clock in the offensive zone with his puck pressure and forecheck which is typically desirable in a match-up you don't want. Toronto was dead-set on shutting McDavid down after his prior 5 point performance, sometimes you just concede one guy leave him on an island and focus on getting the rest of the team to pick up the slack.

In NYR we constantly left a player at the side of our net uncovered, we seemed to have the 2nd D playing up to cover the slot and then the 3rd man comes in and slides to the side of the net and we weren't adjusting our coverage to pick that person up, it persisted the entirety of the game and we were always a bit to slow identifying that individual. NYR also utilized screens very heavily in their offensive zone set-ups with their big bodies and we left our best crease clearing d-man in Gryba up in the press box, I got no problem getting Benning some games, but match-up wise probably dictated defaulting towards Gryba.

Agreed. I mean...thats the whole point of having a deep offense. You can allow the opponent to pick their poison. His matchups really wrecked the flow of our attack i thought.

totally agree with your post.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Don't know why McLellan was trying to shake McDavid loose from Kadri. You don't run from a bully, you make him pay. Should have been hitting him every single opportunity, slashing him, crosschecking, everything to let him know that playing the way he did wasn't going to be fun.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
McDavid played only slightly more than his usual minutes in the first period of the game against the Leafs, and a few minutes less than his average overall in the game. The idea that he was playing McDavid too much is a myth fed by Babcock's smug attitude.

I never said he was feeding McDavid too many minutes, my apologies it wasn't clear. I was just questioning why we would deploy him so many times on so many different lines.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I never said he was feeding McDavid too many minutes, my apologies it wasn't clear. I was just questioning why we would deploy him so many times on so many different lines.

Pretty standard coaching tactic.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Don't know why McLellan was trying to shake McDavid loose from Kadri. You don't run from a bully, you make him pay. Should have been hitting him every single opportunity, slashing him, crosschecking, everything to let him know that playing the way he did wasn't going to be fun.

Our team is playing soft as **** for some reason. We have all this size, and all this toughness, and we aren't using any of it. It's maddening.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Lucic-Draisaitl-Kassian
Lander-Letestu-Pitlick/Slepyshev

Those are the lines today as per Stauffer. Looks good to me!

That's a start, but to me, it's Eberle who's been the weak link on that line.

But go with this for now.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

To get the matchup he wanted for McDavid that would best allow him to expose the opposition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad