Blue Jays Discussion: Today the off-season begins. For the Blue Jays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I really think the Jays should seriously think about dealing Bautista while they can. Great contract. Should net us some pretty good players i would think.

If we went into next year with Dickey-#2-Morrow-Buehrle-Johnson I wouldn't be disappointed

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
If we went into next year with Dickey-#2-Morrow-Buehrle-Johnson I wouldn't be disappointed

Homer Bailey?:naughty:

I actually did some looking into him and his peripherals are trending up and his velocity has actually been increasing over the last 2 years. All signs point to him improving further rather then regressing.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Homer Bailey?:naughty:

I actually did some looking into him and his peripherals are trending up and his velocity has actually been increasing over the last 2 years. All signs point to him improving further rather then regressing.

I've had Bailey two years in a row for my fantasy team, therefore I keep a close eye on him. He is a better pitcher than his numbers indicate.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I've had Bailey two years in a row for my fantasy team, therefore I keep a close eye on him. He is a better pitcher than his numbers indicate.

K/9 trending up
BB/9 trending down
HR/9 trending down
Groundball % trending up

Velocity is 2mph up where it was 2 years ago. He certainly looks like a top of the rotation type who I would feel comfortable relying on.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Homer Bailey?
Say goodbye to Aaron Sanchez and a few other prospects of ours. Makes more sense to just use free agency and go after a guy like Tanaka or Garza then dump our remaining farm system in trade.

It's time for AA to use free agency to get a impact starter rather then the trade route.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
K/9 trending up
BB/9 trending down
HR/9 trending down
Groundball % trending up

Velocity is 2mph up where it was 2 years ago. He certainly looks like a top of the rotation type who I would feel comfortable relying on.

Sure I'd like him too but not at what its going to cost in assets especially when the teams farm system is already thin.

You're looking at Aaron Sanchez plus 2 good prospects and quite honestly we really cant afford that right now unless you want to totally purge the farm.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Sure I'd like him too but not at what its going to cost in assets especially when the teams farm system is already thin.

You're looking at Aaron Sanchez plus 2 good prospects and quite honestly we really cant afford that right now unless you want to totally purge the farm.

No.... He has 1 year of control left and Cinci is a medium budget team with lots of young pitching coming up. He could be had if we offer up someone like Bautista.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
No.... He has 1 year of control left and Cinci is a medium budget team with lots of young pitching coming up. He could be had if we offer up someone like Bautista.

If I'm dealing Bautista its for something better then a pitcher with one year left on his deal. Bailey would most likely test free agency in a years time and have someone like the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers offer some ridiculous contract we couldnt match. I also see no way the Reds dealing all 3 of Bailey, Phillips and Hanigan for Bautista. That would be a awesome deal for the Jays and it would improve them imo.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I'm baffled as to how everyone is talking about trading Bautista. Good luck replacing that bat because frankly, this offense is mediocre without him.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Never heard of him

fozzie-bear.jpg

:sarcasm:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Does Bautista have the highest WAR in a single season for a Blue Jay? He had 7.7. Even Delgado and Halladay didn't have that high. Anyone else I am missing?

Roger Clemens (1997 - 10.8), Roger Clemens (1998 - 8.5), John Olerud (1993): 8.1 WAR.

Close to the 7.7: Jesse Barfield (1986 - 7.5), Roy Halladay (2003 - 7.5), Carlos Delgado (2000 - 7.4), Roy Halladay (2002 - 7.3), Roy Halladay (2009 - 7.2), Roy Halladay (2008 - 7.1), Jesse Barfield (1985 - 7.0).

That '97 Clemens season also ranks as the second greatest performance by a pitcher according to Fangraphs (1998 one ranks 5th). Pedro Martinez' 1999 season (11.9 WAR) is considered as the best statistical season by a pitcher. To add, Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson hold the 1-9 positions for best statistical seasons (based on WAR). Curt Schilling rounds out the top 10.

Barry Bonds has the highest fWAR in a season (2001, 12.5). His 2002 season had a 12.4 WAR and his 2004 season was 11.7.

(this is all from '77-to-present)

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I just remembered that I kept the date from 1977 (Jays inaugural season) to present year.

There's obviously Babe Ruth who had unfathomable seasons and Silver King + Toad Ramsey who pitched a good 500+ innings every year.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Any chances Detroit trades Scherzer? Feel like this is the year to go all in (again) and sell the farm for either him or Price.

or both...

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Any chances Detroit trades Scherzer? Feel like this is the year to go all in (again) and sell the farm for either him or Price.

or both...

hate to be debbie downer but yeah we likely don't have the assets for either of those guys let alone both

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I'm baffled as to how everyone is talking about trading Bautista. Good luck replacing that bat because frankly, this offense is mediocre without him.

He is replaceable. You can find a dozen or so guys that can provide similar production. Now not everyone will be on that friendly contract but if the Jays are all in then money will not matter.

Don't forget dealing Jose fills at least 2 major holes pitching, catching, 2b some combo of that.

its not like Jose is healthy and hitting 50 bombs and batting .300 injuries have kept him off the field the past few years so if you can move him for 2-3 pieces then you do it. There will be a contender out there looking for power willing to acquire Jose hoping he can stay healthy.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'd just like to point out that those "dozen or so guys" are currently untouchable. This makes Bautista a much more valuable asset, but his offense is certainly not replaceable like Ryno suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad