Today I... (part 4)

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, as long as you weren't being mouthy from the start, I think the ref owed you an explanation. Sending guys to the box *while* giving them preemptive attitude is not a recipe for trustworthy officiating.

Luckily I haven't seen anything like this in my league yet, knock on wood. The refs are a lot more like coaches, if I'm honest, in that during stoppages they'll explain what happened, tell how it could be avoided, and so on.

Refs never owe you an explanation no matter how nicely you ask. If you're that concerned have your captain approach the ref and ask for an explanation.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Today I broke my favourite stick! :cry:
Taking a few slapshots while warming up for training and it broke just above the blade.
I've not broken a stick in ages but I had a feeling that it wasn't far off, the stick had taken a battering in a game the night before and there was a small crack in the spot where it broke. I was hoping it was just cosmetic but sadly not.
Now gone back to using my Bauer Supreme 190 and I can remember why I bought it now, I definitely think I can generate more power with it than I could with the Warrior.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I'm looking at this scoresheet tonight going, "there's no way", but sure enough.

12768235_10205764846017478_775905528627902403_o.jpg

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Refs never owe you an explanation no matter how nicely you ask. If you're that concerned have your captain approach the ref and ask for an explanation.

That's technically correct but there's also a factor of common courtesy.

It's not illegal to slam a door in someone's face instead of hold it open for them, but it's still rude. I'm a ref, and while I'm not obligated to talk to anyone but the captain (or alternates), ignoring an honest question from a non-captain is just rude.

If they're being hostile/confrontational then yeah, I'll tell them to go away. "Why am I going to the box?" is not hostile or confrontational wording (depending on tone but if they're going to scream at you that's probably not what they're saying anyway), it's just an honest question. It's the polite thing to at least give them an answer instead of telling them to shut up.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Last night I had one of those games where it just shook out that I barely got any touches. I don't think I was even on the ice for an offensive zone faceoff until the 3rd period. I know it's one of those things where if you're playing your best, the puck kinda seems to follow you around, but in rec/beer league, there are so many other variables (such as, you never know whether the guy skating with the puck is going to just fall on his ass, or pass it to you). Also, we had a full roster for the first time in a while, and everyone gets less ice time when that happens. Then, naturally, when I finally did get a few touches in the 3rd period, I shot one puck off the side of the net, made a centering pass that the goalie intercepted, and broke free of 2 defenders but shot the puck off the shin guards of the third.

Just motivation to be better next time, I guess.

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Today I woke up after getting my first beer league goal. 17 secs left GWG. Good things happen when you get to the front of the net ;)

hillcrest34

Jan 15, 2016
Adelaide, SA
Today I found out the large ice at the only rink in town will be closed indefinitely due to the current refrigeration system deemed irreparable. The large ice was closed two weeks ago for repairs and its been discovered that there are so many leaks that its impossible to find all of them and unfeasible to repair them. Looking at a 6 week period to replace the system after funding is secured so who knows how long it will be. Good thing is is that there's still a small ice that can be used so I can still work on learning to skate and skating skills but it doesn't look like I'll be playing hockey anytime soon

STC

Oct 29, 2012
That's technically correct but there's also a factor of common courtesy.

It's not illegal to slam a door in someone's face instead of hold it open for them, but it's still rude. I'm a ref, and while I'm not obligated to talk to anyone but the captain (or alternates), ignoring an honest question from a non-captain is just rude.

If they're being hostile/confrontational then yeah, I'll tell them to go away. "Why am I going to the box?" is not hostile or confrontational wording (depending on tone but if they're going to scream at you that's probably not what they're saying anyway), it's just an honest question. It's the polite thing to at least give them an answer instead of telling them to shut up.

"why am I going to the box?" Is an honest question.

Asking it repeatedly to the ref in a span of 10 seconds after its obvious the ref isn't going to answer you is just plain stupid, confrontation and designed to provoke a response.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Depends on the repertoire you have with the ref, but REALLY it should be left to the C or A to discuss.

It's relatively informal at the rinks I play at, and the refs always explain their reasoning (whether nicely or with the same attitude they receive in the first place, which is fine). They generally and genuinely seem to listen to and have discussions w/the team leaders better than with anyone else though, which is fine. I'm always telling our hothead guys to let it go and one of us others will talk w/the refs later. It's always best to be nice to the refs even if you're wrong (especially) so you get the benefit of the doubt later or at least not giving them a reason to mess w/you later. I can recall a game where one of our hothead guys, frequently in the box, was yelling and complaining. He had a valid reason, but his rep didn't help. So later I talked to the refs about the other team getting away with lots of things (good, sneaky hold/hook and interference plays, really)) we were getting called for, next thing you know they were getting caught and had a parade going to the box.

jlt73

Jan 21, 2016
Noblesville, Indiana
I scored a goal today. It's my third game ever and I really feel like each week I am improving with my skating. The first week I could hardly make it through my shift, but now my stamina seems to be getting better as well. I am officially hooked!

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011
I scored a goal today. It's my third game ever and I really feel like each week I am improving with my skating. The first week I could hardly make it through my shift, but now my stamina seems to be getting better as well. I am officially hooked!

Congratulations! I think I've had about 15 games or so since joining my novice league, but I haven't had a goal yet. Granted, I play back on defense, and since a lot of the people there are like me, and have never played hockey before (some hadn't skated on ice when we started this summer) so it's hard for people to really pass and make plays...well, and just shoot the puck and really stay vertical.

My best chance came when we managed to get into the other team's zone, which can be a miracle on its own. Usually playing defense in our league means that if the puck starts working its way into the other team's zone, you slowly skate up towards middle ice...if it gets to the boards behind the net, then you can skate past the blue line, because you might have a chance to get the puck before the other team does and you're backing out.

So, we get into their end, and one of the better players who coaches a team with a few of the ladies that play was skating down the left boards. He's pretty good, but he never rubs it in your face. Honestly, he's a lot of fun to learn to play against, because he's fast. Anyhow, I see him taking the puck down the boards for us, and no one's in the high slot, so I skate down from the right point and he starts to curl behind the net and sees me. He puts a perfect pass right on my tape, and despite my being absolute garbage with one-timers, I somehow manage to get a crisp shot off on net...it's like slow motion. It's not fluttering at all...it may be one of my best shots at all. I see it go past the goalie who was sliding towards me when I got the pass...and it hits the outside post and shoots into the corner...so far that's my closest to going in the net. Another night when I tried playing forward I got a lot of good shots on net, but the goalie was playing out of his mind and caught/blocked everything.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Last night we were short-handed and a Junior A player played with us. This is a beginner league, so he played defense, and dialed it WAY down (I think he only took one shot the entire game). But man was it awesome to play with someone who could pass. Just go to the net and get your stick on the ice and he could find you.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Got a call to sub a couple divisions up from where I normally play (at least half our team couldn't move up and be able to hang at all, and the rest of us can't carry them). Anyway, we played and beat the 1st place team which is full of hacks/jacks (but talented), including a couple guys who play/played D1. It was nice to stomp 'em. I had 2g2a and we shut down their 3-4 goal-per-game guys pretty damn good. Their goalie is such a baby; he gave up in the final few seconds and basically left his net open for one of our guys to score. On one hand you don't want to add insult to injury, but these guys are the masters of it so I say it couldn't have happened to a better team (especially that goalie). Felt great to play up again!

Way to go!

jlt73

Jan 21, 2016
Noblesville, Indiana
Congratulations! I think I've had about 15 games or so since joining my novice league, but I haven't had a goal yet. Granted, I play back on defense, and since a lot of the people there are like me, and have never played hockey before (some hadn't skated on ice when we started this summer) so it's hard for people to really pass and make plays...well, and just shoot the puck and really stay vertical.

My best chance came when we managed to get into the other team's zone, which can be a miracle on its own. Usually playing defense in our league means that if the puck starts working its way into the other team's zone, you slowly skate up towards middle ice...if it gets to the boards behind the net, then you can skate past the blue line, because you might have a chance to get the puck before the other team does and you're backing out.

So, we get into their end, and one of the better players who coaches a team with a few of the ladies that play was skating down the left boards. He's pretty good, but he never rubs it in your face. Honestly, he's a lot of fun to learn to play against, because he's fast. Anyhow, I see him taking the puck down the boards for us, and no one's in the high slot, so I skate down from the right point and he starts to curl behind the net and sees me. He puts a perfect pass right on my tape, and despite my being absolute garbage with one-timers, I somehow manage to get a crisp shot off on net...it's like slow motion. It's not fluttering at all...it may be one of my best shots at all. I see it go past the goalie who was sliding towards me when I got the pass...and it hits the outside post and shoots into the corner...so far that's my closest to going in the net. Another night when I tried playing forward I got a lot of good shots on net, but the goalie was playing out of his mind and caught/blocked everything.

Thanks!

This is my 7th time ever on ice. I am having a ton of fun. My league sounds very much like yours. It is an instructional league. We do about 20 minutes of drills (skating, passing, shooting) then we play a game.

Keep shooting. Soon you'll find the back of the net!

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Volunteered to play D for my sunday team cause we didn't have enough. I racked up assists but went goalless until the 3rd period of our final regular season game when intercepted a breakout walked in and tied it up with a deflection off their D's shin pad. I score all the time on my other team, but **** that one felt good. (We ended up winning in OT)

Last edited:

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Did skate and shoot at a local college today, maybe my 8th time on the ice, after a week and a half off resting a sprained wrist. They just changed the time so the skate starts after the area highschools let out. And as a 32 year old newbie I have realized just how old and fat I have gotten. Highschoolers have no mercy scrimmaging with adults. I've never been so damn sore in my life, I love this game!

Last edited:

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
did skate and shoot at a local college today, maybe my 8th time on the ice, after a week and a half off resting a sprained wrist. They just changed the time so the skate starts after the area highschools let out. And as a 32 year old newbie i have realized just how old and fat i have gotten. Highschoolers have no mercy scrimmaging with adults. I've never been so damn sore in my life, i love this game!

At BCC?

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011
Thanks!

This is my 7th time ever on ice. I am having a ton of fun. My league sounds very much like yours. It is an instructional league. We do about 20 minutes of drills (skating, passing, shooting) then we play a game.

Keep shooting. Soon you'll find the back of the net!

I would love it if our league were instructional. I can do the basics...I can skate, I can crossover (forwards at least...I can kind of do it backwards, but it just doesn't happen in game). I can do a one-footed stop...and oddly, I can skate backwards and somehow stop better in reverse than I can normally. I know how to shoot and pass...but none of it is good, because it's all been self taught.

I think it would be awesome to have a class session where we go out in pads and just work on things like passing from X to Y, catching passes, how to get passes on the move, all sorts of stuff. But, at the end of the day, I'm just glad to get some ice time to be able to play.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Team I captain won 5-2 last night to pull our spring record even at 1-1. Had 2G, 1A including a nice one-timer from the top of the circle off a cross ice feed from my buddy.

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
so I decided to drop a league level since I haven't played in such a long time and wanted to have fun. I felt the new "lower" level was actually better than the upper level hockey.

I was surprised at the level of physicality that they stripes let go on. Flat out checked once, and their goalie decided to rough me up a bit a few times with face washes and a flat out slash as I skated by to get the puck.

I was furious about it, so shortly after he hacked me good we took a shot from the point as soon as the guy came inside the blue line. He gave up a juicy rebound and went to dive for the puck outside of the crease, I crashed him hard! slashed hard towards the puck and hit him pretty good.

he didn't say a thing to me other than "good hustle" which was nice that he was okay with taking the heat that he gives out.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
so I decided to drop a league level since I haven't played in such a long time and wanted to have fun. I felt the new "lower" level was actually better than the upper level hockey.

I was surprised at the level of physicality that they stripes let go on. Flat out checked once, and their goalie decided to rough me up a bit a few times with face washes and a flat out slash as I skated by to get the puck.

I was furious about it, so shortly after he hacked me good we took a shot from the point as soon as the guy came inside the blue line. He gave up a juicy rebound and went to dive for the puck outside of the crease, I crashed him hard! slashed hard towards the puck and hit him pretty good.

he didn't say a thing to me other than "good hustle" which was nice that he was okay with taking the heat that he gives out.

It's funny how sometimes the lower leagues are better in that respect. With more skilled guys, you often get a lack of hustle for the sake of letting skill take over. The guys down low, they give it their all just to get something done. Sometimes that's not good because they take it too far, or games turn into NHL playoff games :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad