Today I... (part 4)

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah, smacking your head against the ice is no joke, though it seems every single time it happens, guys have this machismo thing where they pretend it's no big deal. Like over Xmas break my wife and I were skating at the local rink in her home town, and this guy decides he's gonna race these two kids (looked like either sons or nephews), and do a hard stop against the boards just in the nick of time.

Well, the kids did just fine, but the adult goes to stop, and does, but his momentum took him by surprise or something, because as he was "going back up" from his hockey stop (I think you guys know what I mean; like when his legs straightened back out after his forward momentum stopped) he slips backwards and cracks his head on the ice with the most blood-curdlingly unnatural sound you can imagine. I fully expected to look over and see this ****er's brains on the ice. Instead, he just turns "embarrassed red" and gets up chuckling as if nothing happened.

I tried to make the guy go sit down for a minute just to make sure he was alright, but he was having none of it :shakehead

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Saturday night got word that the other team was going to forfeit our 10:15 game. Rink said we could have the ice. Ended up playing half ice 2v2 with a goalie for an hour and 20 minutes. Can't remember the last time I skated that much, it was non stop for the entire time and pretty competitive. Could barely walk all day yesterday.

hillcrest34

Jan 15, 2016
Adelaide, SA
Yeah I kinda did the I'm all good thing. For the most part I was, there was a fair bit of blood though so everyone was pretty worried. I have a decent cut just above the edge of my eyebrow but nothing more than that. It was my first big spill, I've fallen a lot since I've started skating about a month ago, and I'm not scared of it but I've always felt like I had some sort of control when I fell

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Last night played in our house league championship on the Hurricane’s ice. Lost the game, but playing in an NHL arena was a surreal experience and something I will likely never forget. Only had ~100 fans there, but still hearing the cheers and playing in that environment really got the adrenaline going.

Time to start working to get back there next season. :handclap:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Tonight I was reffing an adult league game where one team only had 5 skaters and the other had 7. Some time in the second period, with the team with 7 leading 6-1, I raised my arm to call a tripping penalty against the team with 5. It wasn't exactly blatant, but it was still fairly clear. Clear enough to call, anyway. The tripped player got up and said "don't worry about it" as play went the other way. One of his teammates on the bench nodded in response to this. I put my arm down. No one seemed to care, and no one else said anything about it (thought my partner told me he noticed I did this at the next intermission). The game finished with 0 penalties being called as a result.

While I'm sure everyone was happy with me not calling the penalty (or didn't even notice that I put my arm up for it then put it down), I'm not really sure how I feel about doing that.

What do you guys think?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Bad precedent, but in a game with that few skaters, I'm not sure how much it matters. That said, it seems odd to me that you'd have a ref for a game with almost nobody playing, so there's that.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Tonight I was reffing an adult league game where one team only had 5 skaters and the other had 7. Some time in the second period, with the team with 7 leading 6-1, I raised my arm to call a tripping penalty against the team with 5. It wasn't exactly blatant, but it was still fairly clear. Clear enough to call, anyway. The tripped player got up and said "don't worry about it" as play went the other way. One of his teammates on the bench nodded in response to this. I put my arm down. No one seemed to care, and no one else said anything about it (thought my partner told me he noticed I did this at the next intermission). The game finished with 0 penalties being called as a result.

While I'm sure everyone was happy with me not calling the penalty (or didn't even notice that I put my arm up for it then put it down), I'm not really sure how I feel about doing that.

What do you guys think?

I understand why you did it, but I don't think you should have.

It's worth noting that I have never been an on-ice official and probably couldn't handle it, so this is purely armchair officiating, but I think it's important to not do anything that could call your judgment into question. Right, wrong, or indifferent your track record is subconsciously being reviewed by everyone on the ice every time you part your arm up. However, in the grand scheme of things, probably no one besides yourself and the other official will remember this incident.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often

What do you guys think?

I think that's great refereeing. The ability to interact with the players, think on their feet and exercise a little discretion is important for a referee. All you want from a referee is that they be consistent, unbiased and that they don't call everything that they could or look for reasons to blow the whistle. If the other team is happy to decline a penalty in those circumstances, then why wouldn't you let it slide? If the players just wanna play then they should be left to play. Of course if there's any aggro or friction going on, then you'd be a little firmer to try and de-escalate things.

STC

Oct 29, 2012

What do you guys think?

That's the way it should be. Its called common sense prevailing. You had a clean game with two short handed teams, the one with no subs down 6-1 and obviously not going to come back. Kudos to the team with 7 for recognizing this and "declining" the PP. Kudos to you for recognizing the unique situation and respecting the wishes of the team.

I wish more refs and teams would take a look at the big picture in terms of game situation before making a standard call and instead use common sense and make the "fair" call as opposed to the "right" call.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
In rec league hockey, I don't think any penalties should be called unless something is deliberate, blatant, dangerous or it directly affects the play or outcome. In that regard, a lot of tripping, interference or 'checking' penalties ought to slide, because they are either accidental or inconsequential.

You want as few stoppages as possible and to be at full strength as often as possible. You're paying to play and if it's running time, you lose a bunch off the clock with every stoppage and penalty.

Refs control the game and let if flow. It's okay not to call stuff, as long as you're consistent with both teams.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I understand why you did it, but I don't think you should have.

It's worth noting that I have never been an on-ice official and probably couldn't handle it, so this is purely armchair officiating, but I think it's important to not do anything that could call your judgment into question. Right, wrong, or indifferent your track record is subconsciously being reviewed by everyone on the ice every time you part your arm up. However, in the grand scheme of things, probably no one besides yourself and the other official will remember this incident.

So I guess its safe to assume that you were upset at the refs in the allstar game for not calling matching fighting penalties on Scott and Kane?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Last night I got one assist, and got absolutely robbed on a couple of golden scoring chances. You know, the kind where you're just standing there going "how the hell did that not go in?!?" :huh:

I also fell really hard and thwacked my head on the ice. Thank the hockey gods for helmets.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
So I guess its safe to assume that you were upset at the refs in the allstar game for not calling matching fighting penalties on Scott and Kane?

That's jusssst a bit of an over reach.

I agree with the decision not call the penalty given the circumstances. The only thing I take issue with is that her arm had already gone up. In this case no one saw that apparently. However, if your team was about to get a power play, you're about to hop over the boards as an extra attacker, and then the official puts their arm down, I really doubt you would say "Great call; I applaud your common sense." You'd probably be on the Beer League Frustrations thread right now instead of this one.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Tonight, one of the players complained to the scorekeeper that her music was lame. So, she borrowed my phone and played nothing but Taylor Swift the rest of the game. :laugh:

I mean, I enjoyed it...

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Tonight, one of the players complained to the scorekeeper that her music was lame. So, she borrowed my phone and played nothing but Taylor Swift the rest of the game. :laugh:

I mean, I enjoyed it...

If I'd known you were doing a game with Bobby Brown, I would have said " tell him your name is Whitney Houston, see what he says"

hillcrest34

Jan 15, 2016
Adelaide, SA
Found out that my rink is going to be closed for a week for repairs following my lesson Monday night. I know that the rink needs urgent repairs but I feel like this will be a no progress week

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
I had 3 good shots on net last night but couldn't put one in the net. :( One a puck came loose to right in front or the net and I had a good hard shot but got it to much in the middle of the net and hit the goalie right in the shoulder. Second one I had a nice pass right across the crease but didn't get the puck above his pad and did it again for my own rebound. The third I had a nice rebound from a slap shot from the point but again had a nice hard shot but didn't quite get it above his leg pad. Super frustrating, but at least we won 1-0 so I'm not that upset but I feel I should have at least had one of those and both goalies where playing great when it was 0-0 going into the 3rd. Can't wait until next week!

Edit: I meant to but this in the frustrations thread but whatever. Lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino