Today I... (part 4)

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
got absolutely SMOKED in a must win game for making the playoffs. My line was on the ice for our only goal for, so I guess that's something. Absolutely brutal effort.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
Yesterday I finally replaced my 10+ year old shins with some new ones, check out the foam I glued in the knee cap area! I also bought new elbow pads.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Had a collision today, accidental open ice hit, changed direction but so did some other guy, caught his shoulder with my face going full speed. Felt weird but played till the end, ice felt too bright and legs weren't like they should be. Didn't sleep well and felt like a shadow of myself but not too much (this description makes it sound worse as it is), headache today but it's better now, well i am ok now i guess.

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
Had a collision today, accidental open ice hit, changed direction but so did some other guy, caught his shoulder with my face going full speed. Felt weird but played till the end, ice felt too bright and legs weren't like they should be. Didn't sleep well and felt like a shadow of myself but not too much (this description makes it sound worse as it is), headache today but it's better now, well i am ok now i guess.

I suggest getting checked out by a doctor asap. Head injuries are nothing to shrug off. I had one that almost killed me and I didn't even know till it was too late the next night.
They say if you get a concussion not to go to sleep for good reason.

I dont know how bad your hit to the head was but I suggest get checked anyway.
Better safe than sorry.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I agree, better safe than sorry. You mentioned being sensitive to light and not feeling well for a while, that isn't something to take lightly.

Many years ago I fell the night before a game, busted my head open, and gave myself a concussion. I had no idea how bad it truly was, so I got the bleeding to stop (so I thought) and eventually got to sleep. Woke up bleeding quite well but felt completely normal. I still didn't know bad it was, went to the doctor, and was diagnosed with a concussion and got a bunch of stitches. Obviously I get that you don't have the blood/gash problem, but had I not gone I wouldn't have known what was going on. Best to be careful!

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Yeah, I agree too. You should probably see a doctor, especially with the light sensitivity and headache. Have a friend who had to give up hockey because of concussions. Better to miss a few games than to never play again.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

That's a concussion. It may not be a severe one, but it's definitely a concussion

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
What a game last night. Got whooped 12-3 but kept it to a great game (even going up 2-0 to start) until a few minutes into the 2nd. Then every bounce went their way, including the out of bounds puck that the ref didn't blow dead which resulted in the go-ahead goal. After that it was just an implosion everywhere.

It doesn't help that this team keeps 1 or 2 subs so everyone can skate the entire game. That works against some teams, but definitely not the top team that I don't think has lost in 3 seasons :lol:

Before that I'd been on a roll, though! Had 3 hat tricks in the 3 prior games along w/some assists, between my 2 teams. Two of those games were close, the other was a blowout. That 2nd team of mine has also been running with just 2 subs lately, so the better players are always racking them up. Good thing too, considering how close some of the games have been.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
When you say "subs", what do you mean exactly? I'm thinking "sub" must mean something different in your league than mine :D

I'm an idiot and wrote subs. I've been talking to some guys TO SUB on my team tomorrow since we're missing someone, and I had the word on my mind.

I just meant roster guys on the bench :laugh:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver

Don't play again until you're symptom free for a week. Synptoms being headaches, sensitivity to light etc.

After my last concussion (3rd), I had PCS for 3-4 months. Trust me when I say you don't want to risk going down that road.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Thanks guys.

I went to see the doctor, we had a long conversation, balance and coordination test came out good, reflexes are good, no brain scan was done. Will rest and wait for a week before next activity.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
Thanks guys.

I went to see the doctor, we had a long conversation, balance and coordination test came out good, reflexes are good, no brain scan was done. Will rest and wait for a week before next activity.

I'm glad you went to a doctor and found out it is not serious.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I'm an idiot and wrote subs. I've been talking to some guys TO SUB on my team tomorrow since we're missing someone, and I had the word on my mind.

I just meant roster guys on the bench :laugh:

Ah okay :D

Most teams in my league usually have 3 whole lines of forwards and D, which I hear is actually unusual for other leagues. We played one game this year with like 6 forwards and while we won, it would really depend on who showed up each game if that was a normal number for us :amazed:

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Last night, filled in with a friend's team, got smoked 8-2 in the 1st round of the playoffs. The next ice slot was one of my lower division team's 1st round games, we lost 3-2, I had an assist but got stuffed late in the 3rd on what would have been the tying goal.

The team I captain has Game 2 of the finals tonight. In spring season we were the first team at this level to ever make the playoffs in their debut season. This year we knocked off the #3 seed (best team in my opinion, had a few forfeits) 3-2 in the first round. Then we had a rematch with our biggest rivals who knocked us out of the playoffs in a shootout in the spring and smoked them 5-2. They were NOT happy, last 5 minutes was mostly fist fights. In Game 1 of the finals we took 8-10 penalties, got worn down, gave up 2 PPG and ended up losing 3-0. Tonight is do or die (it's best of 3).

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Went on the ice for a scrimmage with my first ever team and really enjoyed it.
I left them after a year as they got very clicky and the same small group was getting almost all of the ice time. There seems to have been a big culture shift in the team now though and it was actually a really good laugh.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In game 7 of my current season, I notched my 7th goal and in the waning seconds of the game, took a puck to the collar bone on a teammates shot attempt. Deep bone bruise. We lost 5-4. On to the next one!

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Played back to back games last night, each with only 1 guy on our bench :help: Lost and then won.

Had a goal in the 2nd game and a few assists throughout both. I mostly tried to stay back on D to reserve energy but also got into the rush and forecheck as we all rotated around. Had some great moves and plays that just didn't result in a goal, felt great there but disappointment after expending such energy with a roster like we had.

The team we played in our 2nd game also played another right afterward. They asked if any of us would stay and play but we were so beat down. Usually I'm up for any extra hockey I can get, but I was DONE. If we had even just 1 extra guy on our bench all night, I would have had enough in me to play another. But alas...

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
First game of spring season after getting swept 2-0 in the finals for fall. A bunch of new guys and a new keeper. Started slow but won 9-4, excellent team game. Had an assist, hit a post and would have had two more primary assists if they hadn't dinged posts as well. Glad that grueling two week off season has ended

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad