Today I... (part 4)

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Entered the 3rd leading 8-3 and barely pulled out a 9-7 win, needed an ENG with 15 seconds left to ice it. I played terribly but had 2G, 1A. Would have been brutal to lose.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Did the NJ Devils 1-day adult fantasy camp yesterday. Practice on the practice ice, watched the team get slaughtered 4-2 by the Isles, then we played a game on the NHL ice with Bruce Driver, Grant Marshall and Colin White. It was pretty neat. Scored a few goals, only time i'll see myself on an NHL jumbotron :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We had a fun game where we beat the first place team because they were missing some of their better players.

I had two assists. Not bad for a defensive defenseman.

One was off my shin pads as my blocked shot triggered a 2 on 1.

I'll take it.

:laugh:

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Won my third championship in a row, back-to-back wins with my winter team just this last Sunday. We won 5-2 with one of the newest and least skilled guys scoring the first goal of the game, we felt good for him since he had family watching.

My line I had to carry as a playmaker since my centre and good buddy was actually drunk! Very out of character for him, but since we dominated the team it wasn't that bad. He eventually benched himself in the third period after falling on his ass relatively easily from a stick to the skate.

Pictures from a photographer buddy of mine captured it all. I'm one of two guys wearing a red helmet and the "C" at #69 - the Captain. My drunk buddy is #27 wearing an "A".

https://flic.kr/s/aHskVHCvKK

We wanna make him an internet meme, "Drunk beer leaguer all-star" or something. Help me out boys, he's falling in sequence in some of the pics.

He still managed to get an assist lol. I got one too, but I set him and my linemate up at least 6 times, I guess I should have been shooting!

Next year we'll move up a division or two I guess.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Won my third championship in a row, back-to-back wins with my winter team just this last Sunday. We won 5-2 with one of the newest and least skilled guys scoring the first goal of the game, we felt good for him since he had family watching.

My line I had to carry as a playmaker since my centre and good buddy was actually drunk! Very out of character for him, but since we dominated the team it wasn't that bad. He eventually benched himself in the third period after falling on his ass relatively easily from a stick to the skate.

Pictures from a photographer buddy of mine captured it all. I'm one of two guys wearing a red helmet and the "C" at #69 - the Captain. My drunk buddy is #27 wearing an "A".

https://flic.kr/s/aHskVHCvKK

We wanna make him an internet meme, "Drunk beer leaguer all-star" or something. Help me out boys, he's falling in sequence in some of the pics.

He still managed to get an assist lol. I got one too, but I set him and my linemate up at least 6 times, I guess I should have been shooting!

Next year we'll move up a division or two I guess.

Great pics! Congrats as well.

Last night we had a 6-4 loss to a team we've never lost to. Bummer! On a 3-game losing streak and half our guys are on cruise control until playoffs. I had 2 of our 4 goals, but also essentially set up the game-winner by tapping a loose puck up to my defensive partner on that shift...who overskated it and got lost. Naturally before I could catch up to it someone slammed it in. Then they got an empty-netter and that's all she wrote :propeller

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Had a terrible game. I had an assist but otherwise played terrible in a 6-5 SO loss in which our team blew a 5-2 lead and I managed to gaffe on 3 breakaways in the same game.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Great pics! Congrats as well.

Last night we had a 6-4 loss to a team we've never lost to. Bummer! On a 3-game losing streak and half our guys are on cruise control until playoffs. I had 2 of our 4 goals, but also essentially set up the game-winner by tapping a loose puck up to my defensive partner on that shift...who overskated it and got lost. Naturally before I could catch up to it someone slammed it in. Then they got an empty-netter and that's all she wrote :propeller

Thanks man, ****** deal for you considering it sounds like you played well.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
Moved cities back in February and I'm playing my first game on the new team tonight. We'll see how it goes, I've skated once since I moved.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Moved cities back in February and I'm playing my first game on the new team tonight. We'll see how it goes, I've skated once since I moved.

That's exciting - good luck!!!

Last night we won 7-4 to end our season against a winless team of talented guys who are too dumb to be any good. Had a couple goals after being absolutely shut down on a few earlier attempts. Their goalie played one of the best games I've seen in a while, no exaggeration he probably saved them from the 10-goal mercy rule by the 3rd period. I thought my night was mentally over in the 1st when he jumped out to poke check me, I chipped it over his stick, had the entire net open, backhanded it up toward the top of the net, and he kicked his leg up to stop it w/his skate while still fully sprawled out. He had more like that on other guys too, just impressive is all you can say about it. I know the guy a bit, and he was a cheerleader/gymnast a couple years ago in college and I believe he now coaches. Anyway, the acrobatic stuff he pulls off is just nuts!

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Double dipped tonight and filled in for a buddy of mine's team right before my game. Best night of hockey I have ever had. First game I had a natural hat trick on one shift by scoring on an absolute bomb of a one timer off the faceoff, a goal on a scramble in front, and then forced a turnover for a breakaway where I picked the top left corner. One of the better snipes I've ever had. I also hit the crossbar on that shift. I then added one more my next shift and sprung my buddy on a breakaway for an assist. 4 goals and 1 assist in my first game. Not too shabby.

Then my real team's game I came down the left wing and sniped the goalie far glove side, scored 5 hole on a one timer from point blank, had an assist to a dman, scored on a breakaway, and then added an empty netter. Another 4 goal 1 assist game.

8 goals and 2 assists in two consecutive games is definitely the best night of hockey I have ever played. I felt great out there and was absolutely flying.

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
In Saturday's pick up game I missed a tip at the left corner of the net as I was crashing in, lodged my stick under the net while I was still skating and speared myself in the ribs knocking me on my back and also knocking the wind out of myself.
Found out this morning that I have dislodged cartilage and a fracture in #6 rib.
Just my luck.. smh

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
YUUUUGE W in the first round of the playoffs. We squeaked in with the 8th seed by a point and played our biggest rivals in the first round. They were the #1, finished the regular season 14-1-1 and we SMOKED them 7-3.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
YUUUUGE W in the first round of the playoffs. We squeaked in with the 8th seed by a point and played our biggest rivals in the first round. They were the #1, finished the regular season 14-1-1 and we SMOKED them 7-3.

Awesome, congrats. I've been in that same spot and know how GREAT that feels. Best of luck in the upcoming games. Play the same way and you ought to handle the others, too.

Had 3 games in the past 3 days. First team played a bunch of kids, of which almost half our team is nearly twice their age. Whooped 'em bad and thankfully this one didn't get out of hand like usual. Had our 2nd game the following night, real tough game against one of the better teams with better players who can actually PLAY. Had 1g2a here, including the game winner after being hit in the nuts by the puck. Knees buckles, I found open space and put it in. Thank God, that helped it hurt a bit less.

Lastly my 2nd team went down quickly and had a deficit of 4 goals. It was 10-8 I think, goals everywhere, and I had a few assists. Set up 2 tying goals and our final line cashed in on 2 garbage goals to put it away. That game had just about everything: stupid goals, lame weak game, amazing plays, high energy, lazy goalies, and monumental saves by said goalies :laugh:

RealCatFishHunter

Aug 3, 2013
Saratoga Springs
Updated a blog/website that I've been chipping away at since the beginning of this year. Its essentially the thoughts and analysis of guys like us- with a little bit of humor. I absolutely love everything about hockey, including be an opinionated idiot half the time haha. Check it out guys, and let me know what you think. Just got a couple new writers too to help out cover free agency and certain beer league situations this year!

www.morning-skate.com

Thanks guys!

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Team that I captain had out best finish ever 10-5-1, good for 5th place (top 8 make the playoffs), played one of our rivals in the first round. Went down 2-0 in the first, battled back to tie it 2-2 with 47 seconds left. Dominated OT but couldn't score, then lost 3-1 in a shootout. God how I hate that useless gimmick. With a 2nd OT, I have no doubt we would have won, as we had them on the ropes.

My other team that I posted about above has a round 2 game tomorrow against a great squad, but I sliced my finger open over July 4th weekend, it got infected and now I'm on antibiotics and had to scratch myself for the game. My 3rd team was already eliminated :(. Time to get ready for summer 4 on 4 season I guess.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wasn't today but I had a double header Saturday and I got put on to f worst team in the league by far. Which ya know it's fine I joined the league late, but half of my team is still learning to play and or skate so.

So back to the double header, I played wing because the last few games I had played D and nobody could move the Puck outta the some. But I get paired up with the guy that can't play. So I'm trying to create things and set him up for countess opportunities all alone in front, but you know how it is when players are when they're first learning.

We get blown out in both games, which is whatever it's rec league. But in the 3rd of the 2nd game I win a face-off in the offensive zone by pushing it past the other center and grabbing it before the dman can get to it with just enough time to spin around him. The goalie comes out a little, pull to it the back hand and shelf it. Probably the prettiest yet most unimportant goal I've scored.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Found it wide open up the middle when I jumped on from the bench on a change, went hard up the middle at speed and got hit with a beautiful stretch pass from behind the goal line, it hit the tape at the attacking blue line and was in all alone on the forehand, cut to the backhand and outwaited the goalie before going top shelf on the backhand. It was pretty; and the pass I've been waiting on for a while. 4-1 win.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Skated without socks. Went to the rink in flip flops and realized I didn't have socks in my bag. I really wanted to play so I skated barefoot. Top of my skate boot cut/scraped the outside of my upper ankles. At least I have matching scrapes.

Lesson learned.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Today I had a chicken sandwich for lunch, not just a regular sandwich, but a gourmet one in a fancy bun with length sliced pickles, Swiss cheese and fancy slaw with a tangy sauce. It was pretty good.

Does no one else do anything these days 'today'?

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours skating and stick handling, then a strong showing at pick up later on..pretty happy.

Tomorrow I be skatin' ag'in.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Today I... am paying the price for a late night pickup skate. It was a decent skate, but I got to bed at 1:30 only to be up at 5:00 for work. I guess I should have seen that coming. Oh well, all worth it I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad