Today I... (Part 3)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I 'v definitely noticed the lighter weight and quicker release, as well as getting a little more flight with my slap shot, but it doesn't feel quite as crisp and there seems a little vibration in the shaft.

I had to upgrade as the old sticks were starting to show some real wear and tear, but I'm not sure I'm completely sold. With no wood available at this end, I didn't have much choice, but I may still order in and get a couple of Sherwoods to try out.

Old school or old fool, not sure which.

It depends what kind of composite sticks you have. Which models did you get ?
I'm sure that if I gave you an unlimited supply of $300 sticks and wood sticks, you'd use the top notch $300 stick everytime and never look back.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Pulled a beauty spin move along the boards behind the other team's net. Got slew footed by the guy who was going to look silly and busted my ass. Ref was right there. I stared at him and he said:

"NOPE. Happened while you were spinning, so no trip!"

Same ref I pissed off last week. (mod edit)?

Last edited by a moderator:

GetchaGrubbOn

Apr 10, 2014
Albany, NY
Pulled a beauty spin move along the boards behind the other team's net. Got slew footed by the guy who was going to look silly and busted my ass. Ref was right there. I stared at him and he said:

"NOPE. Happened while you were spinning, so no trip!"

Same ref I pissed off last week. (mod edit)?
How could you forget about the sick-move-exception to the tripping rule?

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
It depends what kind of composite sticks you have. Which models did you get ?
I'm sure that if I gave you an unlimited supply of $300 sticks and wood sticks, you'd use the top notch $300 stick everytime and never look back.

Mako M5's. 100 flex. Older stock, but seems to have reviewed pretty well. Wasn't going to spend up big first time out with composites.

I like to stock up if I'm happy so I have an ongoing supply/replacements available if something is discontinued. Not sure yet if I'll go buy more as they'll take some getting used to.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Today at public skating (I have to do something to keep me busy until shinny for 15-17 yr olds starts up lol) I ran into somebody from the coaching staff of the Red Deer Rebels. I wanted to ask him for some advice, but it looked like he was with his kids and I didn't want to bother him.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I play inline so it is 4 v 4, and I happened to checked our standings today and we are #1 in the league with a 4-0-1 record! Only a +5 goal differential. :laugh: We've gone from 2nd to last the previous season to 1st place halfway through the season with the same exact squad. Even the regular refs are commenting on how far we have come, and it's a great feeling. Not to brag, but I've been preaching the simple game for a while now and the team has finally started to listen. Simple means, play along the boards, and forecheck instead of backing up allowing the other team to gain speed!

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Played and won our first playoff game today! Probably our best performance all season. Moving onto the semi-finals in 2 weeks' time.

stocky

Jun 29, 2012
B-ville
Played some 3 on 2 roller tonight at the rink. Had a few nice goals and some solid play. I love this game :yo:

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Today (well yesterday), I took a freak deflection off the visor and a high stick to the jaw.

Time to start wearing a cage instead of a visor, eh?

Ugh, I've been debating the same thing. In the past 2 games I've taken 3 sticks off the visor and a puck, but only because I was able to put my head down in time to prevent it from hitting me in the teeth.

iamcline

Apr 1, 2014
Greensboro, NC
Put on the pads for the first time today, participated in the whole Stick N' Puck session. Not bad from three weeks ago when I could barely skate. Shins and calves are killing me. A great burn.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Today (well yesterday), I took a freak deflection off the visor and a high stick to the jaw.

Time to start wearing a cage instead of a visor, eh?

Funny enough I just removed the visor from my main helmet and have been playing 3x3 and drop in games without a visor for the past 3 months already. I seem to go in cycles with the visor, on/off/on.

I'll never go back to a cage again though, no matter how ugly the sport makes my mug look.

wils5150

Mar 19, 2014
massachusetts
new teeth cost a lot unless you have dental insurance lol

UOTE=Jisatsu;84174845]Funny enough I just removed the visor from my main helmet and have been playing 3x3 and drop in games without a visor for the past 3 months already. I seem to go in cycles with the visor, on/off/on.

I'll never go back to a cage again though, no matter how ugly the sport makes my mug look.[/QUOTE]

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
Almost took a puck straight to the face today on the bench. Took my helmet off to cool off and next thing I know, the puck gets deflected out of play. Three inches to the right and I'd be missing a few teeth to say the least

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
new teeth cost a lot unless you have dental insurance lol

UOTE=Jisatsu;84174845]Funny enough I just removed the visor from my main helmet and have been playing 3x3 and drop in games without a visor for the past 3 months already. I seem to go in cycles with the visor, on/off/on.

I'll never go back to a cage again though, no matter how ugly the sport makes my mug look.
[/QUOTE]

I played 5 years without a visor or cage from 98'-03', still have all my teeth.

But yes, I have full dental coverage through my work, thanks for the concern. :)

wils5150

Mar 19, 2014
massachusetts
thats cool. my teeth cost a lot. then again no dental insurance:yo:

I played 5 years without a visor or cage from 98'-03', still have all my teeth.

But yes, I have full dental coverage through my work, thanks for the concern. :)[/QUOTE]

SmokesLetsGo

Dec 10, 2013
Central NJ
Won a high school game 2-1. We had 2 forward lines and 2 D-lines. The other team had at least 20 kids. Scored a goal and had at least 20 min. of ice time as a RW. Also layed a monster hit near the end of the game in the corner. Also took a couple shots to the facemask which solidified the fact that I won't be wearing a visor in beer league

SmokesLetsGo

Dec 10, 2013
Central NJ
Yeah, I'm always skirting wide of where they're at, not because of any dramas or congestion, but just as a common courtesy. Could just skate around, do my own thing and not care, which I'll do if I come across princess again.

Obviously just like you come across NHL pretenders from time to time, so too there must be Olympic figure skaters at every rink.

Maybe we chop the ice up a bit too much for their liking?

It's bad enough having to put up with their music.

Its always the same music too.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Funeral music mostly. It may as well be.

Haven't done much today, but yesterday I went for a skate and this little kid turned and started skated back against the flow, saw me coming and his feet started to go from underneath him. He was starting to fall backwards and I had to reach out and grab him. Pretty sure I stopped him cracking his head, but I was just wearing shorts and gashed my knee on the ice. No good deed goes unpunished.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm still mostly on the stick and puck phase of learning, but I had a huge day yesterday. After working on my wrist and snap shots at home for a few days, I got back to the rink, and the practice seemed to really pay off. My full wrist shot has nice power to it now, though it's still unpredictable aim-wise. My snap is both stronger and more accurate than before, by quite a bit. I can now aim it with decent results so long as I'm not moving at absolute top speed.

Skating wise, I did a lot of work on my stride at home the past week or so, and that started to pay off as well. I'm accelerating much faster, and topping out much higher than before, mostly thanks to watching and reading up on power skating strides, and from some instruction a friend gave me. A deeper knee bend, skating lower, and stepping out, rather than back, has really changed the entire movement for me.

And of course, the little things that come with time and practice are coming together - catching and releasing passes in one fluid motion, being able to catch up to wild passes, moving in tight, dekeing, etc.

I'm absolutely hooked. If my wallet and schedule allowed for it, I'd be playing every day on every surface available.

I wish more people around here played goalie, as I'd love to shoot on someone and really put my shot to the test, but goalies are a rare commodity in my immediate area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad