Post-Game Talk: Today has been a good day. Leafs beat Wild 5-3!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm going to see, now with Nylander back, how the lines look defensively. They really tightened up with Matthews' out which is a sign of the team adjusting to the absence of their top player but with Matthews' they look a bit looser. Nylander back should really boost Matthews line's 5 on 5 play.

Which leads me to believe it's mental rather than system, when the boys need to button down defensively through necessity because we can't just out skill our opponents we do

Unfortunately when we've got everybody in the lineup the boys like to get into track meets and enjoy themselves without sticking to the defensive basics, we can win like that but it's not great for the old defensive metrics

Reactions: weems

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Not sure how they keep him
And hate to see him walk

Nylander held the team hostage with his "it's not gonna be me" approach to negotiating this year which kicked the can down to the big glut of players coming up next year.

You wanna play on this team? Gonna have to be some discounts or youre out......or youre forcing someone else out.

I wonder how that dynamic comes into play.

What if Nylander craps the bed while Gards has a great run this year?

Lots of variables to look at.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

GhettoHockey

Dec 31, 2010
Toronto
I was watching the Minnesota' Wild's home commentator last night... what a f***ing nut-job ....

Anyways, the Wild look very good, underrated team for sure!

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Post game thread after a win with only 11 pages, something must be going on

Hard to find stuff to bitch about when they are winning games.. If this was a 5-3 loss, (which it very well could have been). You would see this be 30+ pages complaining about Babcocks usage and how Brown/Hyman/Z suck lmfao

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Nylander held the team hostage with his "it's not gonna be me" approach to negotiating this year which kicked the can down to the big glut of players coming up next year.

You wanna play on this team? Gonna have to be some discounts or youre out......or youre forcing someone else out.

I wonder how that dynamic comes into play.

What if Nylander craps the bed while Gards has a great run this year?

Lots of variables to look at.

Nylander's contract will cost relative peanuts to a cap floor team after July 1st next year the way his contract is constructed. Just saying.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I was watching the Minnesota' Wild's home commentator last night... what a ****ing nut-job ....

Anyways, the Wild look very good, underrated team for sure!
I too listened. It was the first time I have heard him and the color guy. I expect a teams play by play guys to be homers,but geez,the guy whined about everything that didn't go Minnies way....I think he broke out the rule book on Hymans lousy glove goal..he carried on for a what seemed like minutes while the game was on! Brutal!I think they blamed the Leafs for winning!

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I watch more opposing feeds whenever possible. The San Jose guys were pretty damn good by comparison. Talked up both teams and called both teams on their faults. They also were drooling over our lineup lol

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I don't understand how anyone goes about claiming that Gardiner has been carried to consistently good results in second pairing minutes by the likes of Polak, Marincin, Carrick, and the other fringe NHLers he's played with over his career.

That is up there with "Willy is a worse Jason Blake" as the worst takes on a player I've read on here in the last few months.
It's befuddling. Gards has maybe not been an elite player for us, but he's been our second best defenseman, at times our best over the last 5 seasons. He's a really under rated player.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Neither is going on waivers. You do realize teams have 3 extra roster spots? 1 of them has to come out of the lineup yes, that’ll be Babcock’s decision. Holl, or Marincin will go on waivers and we’ll run 14/7/2 like most teams do. Outside chance it’s goat. It won’t be Leivo or Ennis.
I just have a strong opinion that Babcock is rigid. I’m under the assumption, he has made up his mind for the season. Babcock committed to 13/8/2.

I was unaware that Goat is still with the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad