Post-Game Talk: Today has been a good day. Leafs beat Wild 5-3!

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
good 1st period, meh 2nd, and Rookie panicy 3rd.

Legs were still fresh, not a back to back. what gives?

Oh yeah. Nylander Saga until 5pm.
All on phones until pregame skate texting Willy

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Effort level seemed to be the biggest difference to me tonight.

Seemed the Wild was always on the puck first, winning all the board battles and always had men open in front that should have been covered.

Who gave the most effort tonight? Ennis? Not gonna work against a big strong fast team like the Wild.

The game reminded me of the Blues and Flames games but we got some nice bounces to win this one.

The Wild also deserve so credit too. They have a good team over there and the Leafs were not up to speed with them tonight.

Wake up call before the Buffalo game.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Neither gets sent down. 1 of them comes out of the lineup and Babcock is the coach so he decides. IMO one of the D gets put on waivers to make room. If not that then goat, they won't put Ennis or Leivo on waivers.
Doesn’t Ennis or Leivo need waivers though if they were sent to the AHL. Babcock decides but Dubas can overrule him. I had a feeling Babcock would pick Leivo but Dubas objects. I feel Dubas made a promise to play Josh

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
ok replacing brown with a ELC would make little difference to the team, as replacing nylander with a ELC. Players who work hard a limited in offensive skills are just easier to replace. for example i think Grundstrom can get close to 25 points in the right situaiton and by all accounts is pretty good 2way player that replaces brown with little effect. Grundstrom im not sure will ever hit 60 points and if he does it will take alot of time therefore we lose scoring.

So if the $300K we overpaid nylander needs to found somewhere the bottome of the lineup and Brown is the easy option to ship out and replace, All good having $6M in cap but you are losing a $6.5M player you will need to find another one of. Brown is a dime a dozen work hard pk guy nothing more. He is very replaceable

my point is if someone needs to go its brown we gain back roughly $1.2M after inserting a $900K ELC in his place. we dont need to throwing good players overboard to make the cap work. **** attach a 1st with zaitsev, it doesnt really matter we shouldnt be trading elite talent due to the cap it should be the role players

Ok.....if your goal is to recapture a 300k overpayment, I completely agree.

IMO....I think there is a real possibility that the math isn't going to work once M&M sign their deals, and we may have accept that 4 players at or above $7M is too much of a luxury.

Hopefully I am wrong. (it's happened once or twice ;))

Reactions: Walshy7

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Doesn’t Ennis or Leivo need waivers though if they were sent to the AHL. Babcock decides but Dubas can overrule him. I had a feeling Babcock would pick Leivo but Dubas objects. I feel Dubas made a promise to play Josh

There is no way this would happen. It would be the fast track to having your coach quit or go over your head. It's Babcock's job to do the lineup. They would have to literally release or send Ennis down for that to happen. As long as a player is with the club, Babcock determines who plays.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ok.....if your goal is to recapture a 300k overpayment, I completely agree.

IMO....I think there is a real possibility that the math isn't going to work once M&M sign their deals, and we may have accept that 4 players at or above $7M is too much of a luxury.

Hopefully I am wrong. (it's happened once or twice ;))

Totally agree. It’s possible nylander goes still, but I’d look at a couple of lower players together to find the money we need. It’s up to management to find the cheap bottom lineup players ie: next year’s ennis.

I mean maybe marner goes, any player could be traded. Imagine we were offered werennski ++ you can’t say no to that.

Reactions: saltming

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Totally agree. It’s possible nylander goes still, but I’d look at a couple of lower players together to find the money we need. It’s up to management to find the cheap bottom lineup players ie: next year’s ennis.

I mean maybe marner goes, any player could be traded. Imagine we were offered werennski ++ you can’t say no to that.

Sure, I'm assuming that Marner outperforms Willy, but that could be totally wrong as well. If Willy turns into better value, then yea, maybe Marner goes

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The GM is the one that decides who gets sent down, usually with suggestions from the coach

Reactions: Keon1963

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sure, I'm assuming that Marner outperforms Willy, but that could be totally wrong as well. If Willy turns into better value, then yea, maybe Marner goes

Oh marner is going to put perform nylander. My point was anyone can be traded that’s all, if someone blows us away even marner could go. Not that nylander is better. Although I personally don’t see the gap as big as some others do but that’s just me

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Werenski has spent a lot of time on the third pairing this year so I dont know if I'd make that trade.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
They're 19-8, have the second best record in the league and have the best goal differential. This post is completely irrational, especially the last paragraph.
I don't understand how anyone goes about claiming that Gardiner has been carried to consistently good results in second pairing minutes by the likes of Polak, Marincin, Carrick, and the other fringe NHLers he's played with over his career.

That is up there with "Willy is a worse Jason Blake" as the worst takes on a player I've read on here in the last few months.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Funny how the Leafs ended up scoring a bunch of ugly goals (deflections, jams at the goal) last night that it seems Minnesota strive to score.

Jason Zucker has to be the best player no one ever talks about (at least against the Leafs). Jordan Greenway although a bit of a limited player is exactly the type of add-on player I'd love to see on the Leafs to compliment the current lineup.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The shots against per game has risen to 5th worse in the league after a good start to the season. Clearly the defense has been a bit leaky in the last few weeks but luckily Andy's been up to the test.

This will need to improve.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
he hesitated cause he was gonna rip one top shelf show everyone doubter that he does have finish. But then decided to just take a light shot instead.
Or maybe he understands that the longer he takes, the less time there is left for the other team to come back.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The shots against per game has risen to 5th worse in the league after a good start to the season. Clearly the defense has been a bit leaky in the last few weeks but luckily Andy's been up to the test.

This will need to improve.

This continues to be a problem. They seem to get better for a bit and then revert right back.
I'd like to see Rosen given a shot. Something different. Hell give Holl a chance.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I think adding Nylander to our lineup will hurt the team a lot. Guy is softer than Charmin, and the guys that Dubas and Babcock have out there now, may not be bruisers or Tom Wilson's, but they are battling.

Look for a big shift on the club and it might be very negative, as Nylander is as soft as a butter knife. I didn't like the signing, I hope they trade his baby bum, to a team that wants him. And we get a Parayko in return.

Get over it already!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This continues to be a problem. They seem to get better for a bit and then revert right back.
I'd like to see Rosen given a shot. Something different. Hell give Holl a chance.

I'm going to see, now with Nylander back, how the lines look defensively. They really tightened up with Matthews' out which is a sign of the team adjusting to the absence of their top player but with Matthews' they look a bit looser. Nylander back should really boost Matthews line's 5 on 5 play.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Neither is going on waivers. You do realize teams have 3 extra roster spots? 1 of them has to come out of the lineup yes, that’ll be Babcock’s decision. Holl, or Marincin will go on waivers and we’ll run 14/7/2 like most teams do. Outside chance it’s goat. It won’t be Leivo or Ennis.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Well what Babs is doing is working we're getting W's out of it so lets stick with what works.
My point is...it doesn't work against teams with a talented top 3. Perhaps with Willy and Auston providing another option Babs can get away with having a plug in a top 6 roll.We will see,but he has been reluctant to stack a line before...like in the playoffs.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I don't understand how anyone goes about claiming that Gardiner has been carried to consistently good results in second pairing minutes by the likes of Polak, Marincin, Carrick, and the other fringe NHLers he's played with over his career.

That is up there with "Willy is a worse Jason Blake" as the worst takes on a player I've read on here in the last few months.

That same poster said just a few days ago that Ozhiganov was a better player than Gardiner.

Many people made up their minds about Gardiner along time ago and nothing he does will change anything.

He can play 5 good games in a row and boom the first time he caughs up a puck that leads to a goal, a herd of people will arrive and say he's terrible.

For me hes easily our most underappreciated player.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Who do you take out of the lineup becomes the big question then.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
That same poster said just a few days ago that Ozhiganov was a better player than Gardiner.

Many people made up their minds about Gardiner along time ago and nothing he does will change anything.

He can play 5 good games in a row and boom the first time he caughs up a puck that leads to a goal, a herd of people will arrive and say he's terrible.

For me hes easily our most underappreciated player.

Gardiner has been really, really good this season to anyone who gives a damn about defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->