Post-Game Talk: Today has been a good day. Leafs beat Wild 5-3!

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Rip him? That ain't rippin' him...I can do much better,but he really doesn't deserve to be criticized for his lack of skill/talent.It's Babs that is stopping a legitimate top 6 player from getting experience.
Well what Babs is doing is working we're getting W's out of it so lets stick with what works.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
Children? He is very replaceable all bottom 6 forwards are replaceable. Fact is he is a ~30 point guy at best, we have “good” players on Elcs we don’t have to be paying $2.1m for what he contributes
I cannot think of any ELCs that can replace Conner Brown on the third line (consistently matching up against the other teams top line) and the number 1 Penalty Killing Unit. I do not consider Brown an elite defensive forward, but I also don't think he is greatly overpaid. Toronto is approaching a cap issue next year, and a number of Leaf players salaries will be part of the problem (including Brown, Zaitsev, Marleau). When Brown was a RFA I had hoped his salary would come in at $1.8M or less. I still think that would be appropriate. Surprised Lou overpaid slightly. The original post I replied to was around "Brown is a good NHL player". That was what I was commenting on. I will agree that he may be slightly over-paid (not a 100% on that). I do get tired of reading a lot of past posts about Brown being an issue. I believe he fills a role on the team very well.
One of my favorite Marlies is Grundstrom and I see him filling a similar role as Brown next year, but not this year. I don't see any Marlie replacing Brown this year. Brown may become a Cap casualty because of the teams overall cap issues, but I still think of him as a "good NHL player". Brown may be replaced in the near future by a player who will fit under the cap better but who may not contribute as much to the team success as Brown currently does. If we disagree I respect that.

Last edited:
Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Ugly win but two points are two points. Matthews back just makes that first powerplay so lethal that’s what 4 for 5 attempts the last two games?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
They played ****ing ****. MVP bailed them out again and they got three deflections.

Seriously, even if you bring on like five more Nyander's to this team, they can't win multiple playoff series if their coach can't get them to play 40 minutes and if the defensive coverage continues to be this bad.

Also I don't care what they were saying at the intermission, I wouldn't want Gardiner back for free let alone a discount. Guy somehow managed to get a contract by letting his partner do all the work and just being a warm body occasionally getting in the way on defence. I knew his early season 'commitment to defense' was too good to be true.
They're 19-8, have the second best record in the league and have the best goal differential. This post is completely irrational, especially the last paragraph.

Reactions: Notsince67

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I really love the progress of the team. Last season a game like this would have been a sure loss this year its an ugly win.
Win is a win.
Anderesen is the mvp ainec
And im still over the Moon happy with the Nylander signing. So so so happy.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If we had their goaltending, they would have lapped us

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm hoping we can lean on sparks enough for Andersen to remain fresh

We had alot of lapses tonight. Nothing that can't be cleaned up, but a strong minute munching number 2 D is top on our wish list.

Hainsey has been sturdy but could use some less impact mins ( also keep him fresh) with Dermott

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I cannot think of any ELCs that can replace Conner Brown on the third line (consistently matching up against the other teams top line) and the number 1 Penalty Killing Unit. I do not consider Brown an elite defensive forward, but I also don't think he is greatly overpaid. Toronto is approaching a cap issue next year, and a number of Leaf players salaries will be part of the problem (including Brown, Zaitsev, Marleau). When Brown was a RFA I had hoped his salary would come in at $1.8M or less. I still think that would be appropriate. Surprised Lou overpaid slightly. The original post I replied to was around "Brown is a good NHL player". That was what I was commenting on. I will agree that he may be slightly over-paid (not a 100% on that). I do get tired of reading a lot of past posts about Brown being an issue. I believe he fills a role on the team very well.
One of my favorite Marlies is Grundstrom and I see him filling a similar role as Brown next year, but not this year. I don't see any Marlie replacing Brown this year. Brown may become a Cap casualty because of the teams overall cap issues, but I still think of him as a "good NHL player". Brown may be replaced in the near future by a player who will fit under the cap better but who may not contribute as much to the team success as Brown currently does. If we disagree I respect that.

Ok maybe not right now can grundstrom replace brown. But if as soon as next year he can then you replace $2.1m with $800k isnteadnif shipping of the elite 1st line winger who may be (may be) $300k overlaid. If brown and nylander are $300k overpaid each its a pretty easy decision who to get rid of.

Bearing in mind my opinion is not laying gardiner $7m, here

HockeyMad68

Oct 14, 2017
Matty’s post game interview was great he was giving it to the press

He has the right character for this leaf obsessed city

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I only caught the third and what a shit show defensively that was. Freddy and timely scoring ftw tonight

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Ok maybe not right now can grundstrom replace brown. But if as soon as next year he can then you replace $2.1m with $800k isnteadnif shipping of the elite 1st line winger who may be (may be) $300k overlaid. If brown and nylander are $300k overpaid each its a pretty easy decision who to get rid of.

Bearing in mind my opinion is not laying gardiner $7m, here

First off, I'm not advocating trading Nylander or defending Brown, this is just about math.

I don't understand your logic about "If brown and nylander are $300k overpaid each its a pretty easy decision who to get rid of."

IMO....it's not about the the $300K overpayment.

If you trade Brown and replace him with an ELC you gain about $1.3M in cap
If you trade Nylander and replace him with ELC you gain about $6M in cap.

Again........I understand the drop off in talent is significant, and I am not advocating trading Nylander, I just don't understand why you keep raising the 300k overpayment as a factor on a trade decision IF the issue is cap savings.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Because hes a 27 year old journeyman defensemen with three games of experience and we have the 3rd best goals against in the league. Its not rocket science; hes not very good.

Yeah and Marincin is a rock star. Oz is a superstar.
Let the “journeyman” go then. It’s not rocket science

Leivo “wasn’t very good” either to many until he actually played

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
First off, I'm not advocating trading Nylander or defending Brown, this is just about math.

I don't understand your logic about "If brown and nylander are $300k overpaid each its a pretty easy decision who to get rid of."

IMO....it's not about the the $300K overpayment.

If you trade Brown and replace him with an ELC you gain about $1.3M in cap
If you trade Nylander and replace him with ELC you gain about $6M in cap.

Again........I understand the drop off in talent is significant, and I am not advocating trading Nylander, I just don't understand why you keep raising the 300k overpayment as a factor on a trade decision IF the issue is cap savings.

ok replacing brown with a ELC would make little difference to the team, as replacing nylander with a ELC. Players who work hard a limited in offensive skills are just easier to replace. for example i think Grundstrom can get close to 25 points in the right situaiton and by all accounts is pretty good 2way player that replaces brown with little effect. Grundstrom im not sure will ever hit 60 points and if he does it will take alot of time therefore we lose scoring.

So if the $300K we overpaid nylander needs to found somewhere the bottome of the lineup and Brown is the easy option to ship out and replace, All good having $6M in cap but you are losing a $6.5M player you will need to find another one of. Brown is a dime a dozen work hard pk guy nothing more. He is very replaceable

my point is if someone needs to go its brown we gain back roughly $1.2M after inserting a $900K ELC in his place. we dont need to throwing good players overboard to make the cap work. f*** attach a 1st with zaitsev, it doesnt really matter we shouldnt be trading elite talent due to the cap it should be the role players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad