To touch or not to touch: The Conference Trophies

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Grab the trophy and acknowledge the crowd with it, get your picture taken with it, take it back to the room with you, tweet some pictures, tell everyone how nice it is to win. It don't matter. I know Sid is grabbing it if the Pens win the ECF.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Touch it, grab it, and play with it. it's yours, Do with it as you will.
In all seriousness celebrate, be happy, just be ready for the next round. You may never reach that step again. You will hate to look back and have no evidence of the accomplishment you achieved.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't understand why players don't show pride in winning the conference championship. Its not the cup, certainly, but its an accomplishment none the less. It means more than the President's trophy IMO - especially if you squashed the President's Trophy winner to get there. :laugh:

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
The Wales Trophy does not like to be touched by some teams, indifferent to some, and rewards being touched by others. The heart wants what it wants. :naughty:

Personally I think it's a really beautiful trophy from an aesthetic point of view. I'm a fan of the art deco design.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't understand why players don't show pride in winning the conference championship. Its not the cup, certainly, but its an accomplishment none the less. It means more than the President's trophy IMO - especially if you squashed the President's Trophy winner to get there. :laugh:

Because some jackass didn't do it in the 1970s and now Don Cherry will yell at people if they do anything he doesn't approve of. I mean, barely any of the teams in recent memory who obeyed the tradition actually won anything.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My perspective is to not touch it. I'm not superstitious at all about that, but I couldn't possibly say that that's the case for my entire team or that it wouldn't be a minor nagging thought in the back of someone's head. Why potentially mess with even a 4th liner's mojo just for a trophy that nobody will remember?

Or, in other words, even if you're not superstitious why risk someone else's superstitions messing with their head?

That being said, I don't care one way or the other if a captain does that or not.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Serious question because I'm not 100% certain and kind of curious, if Nashville wins tonight, which of the alternate captains goes to accept the trophy, or do all of them? Same question for the Stanley Cup, if Nashville wins, and Fisher is still out. I mean, you could have all 3 of them accept the Conference Championship trophy, but how are you going to have 3 alternate captains hoist the Cup?

The obvious thing in my opinion would be to go with seniority, but that would mean Neal gets to accept it and my non obvious gut feeling wants Josi to do it.

For the Stanley Cup I don't see how Fisher doesn't come out to do it unless he is completely unable to be there at all. He might even be playing again by then.

Crosby touching the trophy is pretty cool

The best part was all the media people flipping out about him not being superstitious and "OMG, he touched it!" And then he more or less admitted in the press conference that touching it was his superstition, while Murray low-key laughed at him.

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
Because some jackass didn't do it in the 1970s and now Don Cherry will yell at people if they do anything he doesn't approve of. I mean, barely any of the teams in recent memory who obeyed the tradition actually won anything.

The first player to do it was Eric Lindros in 1997...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
like all superstitions, it's nonsense, but I do like that it's like your team is rejecting that trophy, like all you care about is the Stanley Cup

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Dumbest tradition in hockey. It's ok to have a team picture with the trophy but not touch it? Not singling out the Preditors, it's a widespread dumb tradition.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
^ I'm betting that the teams that touched it have ended up winning more championships than those that didn't.

Somebody really needs to compile the stats on that, it might finally end this nonsense.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
^ I'm betting that the teams that touched it have ended up winning more championships than those that didn't.

Somebody really needs to compile the stats on that, it might finally end this nonsense.

There's some on the previous page, and yes, in that sample, touching the trophy has exactly zero bearing on who wins the cup.:laugh:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
My perspective is to not touch it. I'm not superstitious at all about that, but I couldn't possibly say that that's the case for my entire team or that it wouldn't be a minor nagging thought in the back of someone's head. Why potentially mess with even a 4th liner's mojo just for a trophy that nobody will remember?

It's easier to say since our captain is 3-0 not touching it. At the same light, Pens captain might potentially go 3-0 touching it. Its all semantics.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
touching or not touching a trophy has zero to do with who wins it all. i find it silly our guys didn't touch it. it's senseless.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
There's some on the previous page, and yes, in that sample, touching the trophy has exactly zero bearing on who wins the cup.:laugh:

touching or not touching a trophy has zero to do with who wins it all. i find it silly our guys didn't touch it. it's senseless.

Indeed.
For example just going by the last 11 years the results are;
Didn't touch > 9 wins 9 loses = 0.500%
Touched > 2 wins 2 loses = 0.500%

Pretty sure there's a clear cut trend here. This **** is banana's, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I can't believe people are making this big of a deal about it.

:shakehead

Let them do what they want. They've earned it.

Who are you to say that them being superstitious or not is smart/dumb.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'll only pay attention to the statistics of touching/not touching and winning the Stanley Cup if you include whether or not the touchers had beards.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
I would have thought that when the Pens both touched and skated with it last year and the Sharks didn't that it would end this silliness and teams would just touch it. But I guess a team new to the finals like Nashville didn't want to do anything to bold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad