Post-Game Talk: To catch a predator 7:37pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
There are no excuses to have an .896 SV%. That’s beyond terrible and there’s no defense for it. That’s what Holtby has right now. Since the beginning of the 2017 playoffs he has been a below average goaltender, even if you include his great 2018 playoff run. That’s a large sample size. And this year he’s only gotten worse. Is there a chance he magically turns it around? Sure. But there’s almost zero chance he is going to be the goalie he was from 2014-2016. At this point him turning it around is being merely below average instead of one of the worst starters in the league. And that upside isn’t worth running him out there as the starter when you have Samsonov tearing it up and riding the bench.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I and one of my pals were questioning why Holts got this start. Samsonov's stats are much better than BHs and the season is 60+% over. Time to get "Sam" in playoff form, see what he has playing more often.

Glad Holtby was able to take over from Gruby in the playoffs and win the SC. However he's starting to look fried :eek: lately.

Reactions: RandyHolt

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
I have significant concerns about this team and while goaltending is one of them, its by far not the most concerning. There doesnt seem to be a lot of structure or coaching.. they can't fix the PP.. and doesnt look like they are being real innovative in their efforts to do so.. sustainable offense from the bottom 6 is abysmal.. overall, the effort hasnt been consistent since November. Dont let the points/standings fool you.. I dont see this team winning a 7 game series in the east as currently constructed/coached.
You realize other teams have flaws right?

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
He has been bad, yes. So, the obvious thing to do is cheer against him and hope they lose so we can feel smug about it?

Yes... for a 6 million dollar cap hit.. We have the right to be as smug as we want. He's not performing.... not for a week.. or two... but for 3 years straight.

Jun 15, 2007
Isn't he a farm boy from somewhere in Saskatchewan? He'll be going back there and living out the rest of his days milking cows and riding a tractor

He's from Lloydminister, which feels like NYC to the actual Sask farmboys.

Reactions: Heath

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Not this again. It is possible to critique a player and still root for them to succeed just like it’s possible to chew gum and walk.

Incorrect.

I said, tie it up and win in in OT and get Holtby off the hook.

I was attacked for that for some bizarre reason.

I want the team to win. Holtby had a bad game but I wanted the team to bail him out.

It’s like some people wanted the Caps to lose so that they could pile on Holtby more.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Sammy is young.....he just said in an interview he was exhausted....Holtby has to carry at least near a split load down the stretch IMO.....
The best way for him to overcome that is by increasing his workload and getting him better equipped to handle that next season. It's not going to be by limiting the amount of starts he gets. A 2 to 1 split down the stretch would be ideal IMO.

Reactions: Raikkonen

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Incorrect.

I said, tie it up and win in in OT and get Holtby off the hook.

I was attacked for that for some bizarre reason.

I want the team to win. Holtby had a bad game but I wanted the team to bail him out.

It’s like some people wanted the Caps to lose so that they could pile on Holtby more.
I am not sure who attacked you but just ignore their ignorance.

Everyone should want Holtby to succeed because when he is playing well he is an elite goalie. That being said, at this very moment in time....not so good. In fact, he is quite bad at the moment.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

illpucks

May 26, 2011
If Holtby is benched or traded then might be a situation like Grubauer starting and completely blowing his two playoff starts. Holtby was crap then and was needed to win.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I am not sure who attacked you but just ignore their ignorance.

Everyone should want Holtby to succeed because when he is playing well he is an elite goalie. That being said, at this very moment in time....not so good. In fact, he is quite bad at the moment.

No argument there. He has been quite bad.

Let’s hope he can get it together in time for the postseason.

Reactions: peterthegreat12

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
And sometimes your goalie can't stop a beachball...all season.
fleury-beachball.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad