To Ad or not to Ad?

Jersey Ads

• Total voters

Evergreen

I'm against it and I definitely won't be buying a jersey with an ad on it, so to that extent it will affect my spending.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I do not care about jerseys at all. They all look pretty bad to begin with.

If putting something on there results in something good like fewer commercial breaks, better revenue sharing, or makes up for lost in-person revenue thus reducing the likelihood of COVIDIOTS packing arenas, then I am all for it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Of course I’m for it. I want the cap to eventually rise and I want my team to be able to afford to extend its young super stars.

The moment a 3x3 patch affects your ability to enjoy watching the on ice product of this sport is the moment you should probably consider a new hobby.

There seems to be two sides to this argument. The side of people who understand economics and the rest.

On ice adds and things like that which can actually be a distraction are a far bigger concern than a 3x3 patch which you’ll only notice in interviews.

Reactions: North Cole

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I wonder if there will be rules against selling jersey's without ads on them.. like will that be part of the agreement with the NHL (I would think it would from a pure business standpoint if I'm the investing Company). Can the individual team make there own decision when selling merch?

It's likely that 99% of Hockey fans would prefer to buy merch without the ads and I can see this negatively impacting direct sales (and increasing 3rd party retailer sales).

From an on-ice perspective I could care less.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Not only do I dislike the owners and league for allowing this, but I'm really grossed out by these fans that apparently don't care about desecrating the sport.

They're like the fans that don't care about Olympics.

Reactions: DowJones

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I wonder if there will be rules against selling jersey's without ads on them.. like will that be part of the agreement with the NHL (I would think it would from a pure business standpoint if I'm the investing Company). Can the individual team make there own decision when selling merch?

It's likely that 99% of Hockey fans would prefer to buy merch without the ads and I can see this negatively impacting direct sales (and increasing 3rd party retailer sales).

From an on-ice perspective I could care less.

I believe with NBA you have the option to keep the ad on or off.

But theoretically what you said makes sense. I’d imagine the company would want their ad on the jersey for all sales.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yes, if it’s just one little patch like the NBA jerseys then I’m indifferent. But I’d hate to end up like the European jerseys.

Its almost remarkable that its the North American leagues that have exploited the extra revenue streams after the Euro leagues. Its inevitable that the they will slowly push the envelope on how many ad spots they can sell. We are all the frogs in the pot.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not only do I dislike the owners and league for allowing this, but I'm really grossed out by these fans that apparently don't care about desecrating the sport.

They're like the fans that don't care about Olympics.
The pure sport is what I care about. They could play in clown suits for all I care.

If this helps to raise the cap so the NHL remains the best league in the world, I'm all for it.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Don't care, haven't bought a jersey in years. In no hurry to buy another one, if I did the ad likely wouldn't stop me - I have a few soccer jerseys and they don't bother me.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd have prefer not to have ads on jerseys, but let's be honest, it was inevitable the moment the NBA did it with moderate backlash.

I think jerseys are taken more seriously in hockey given the prestige behind some of them vs the NBA where each team has like 7 different options and they change their designs far more often.

Reactions: snipes

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I think jerseys are taken more seriously in hockey given the prestige behind some of them vs the NBA where each team has like 7 different options and they change their designs far more often.
I think it might have something to do with the fact that the NBA jersey is just a t-shirt, basically. And the NHL jersey is a whole sweater.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'm okay with the current proposal, if they make them bigger it will be an issue imo.

It comes down to can they control their greed to the current level.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Can't stand it. Will have a significant detrimental impact my enjoyment of a game where aesthetics do matter and another further constant reminder of the ugly $$$ and greed side of the NHL i try so hard to overlook, is the last thing i want. I've never been a particularly big spender on the league, beyond what it costs to watch it and the occasional piece of merchandise once in awhile. But showing their greed and callous disregard for fans, as well as lack of concern for the aesthetics of the sport...certainly makes it an easy decision to make it a long time before i think about purchasing any more particular team merchandise. Puts a lot of other stuff, including merchandise from other leagues well ahead of NHL gear on the purchase list.

Obviously not the biggest threat to the NHL. But one does what one can. :dunno:

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Selling ad space on people is disgusting. Doesn't matter if they're professional athletes or average joes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad