To Ad or not to Ad?

Jersey Ads

• Total voters

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Jersey Advertisements in the 2022-23 NHL season, how do we feel?

On one hand the average person is exposed to roughly 10,000 ads per day, more if they spend a lot of time on social media. What's 1 more really? Explore all the revenue streams you can.

On the other hand a hockey jersey is a beautiful thing and sullying it with a crunch wrap supreme advertisement should be sacrilege. Where does this corporate pandering stop?

On a third hand, who cares either way. Not a big deal, it is what it is. Doesn't affect the game whatsoever so entirely immaterial.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The Amazon river runs for thousands of miles. At some points it runs through areas of the rain forest that are almost untouched and have been barely explored. Because of the porous limestone in these areas, the river water leaks through the stone and travels deep into the earth, and forms underground pools almost a mile below the surface.

Over thousands of years, small, blind, transparent fish have lived and evolved in these pools. These fish have never seen the sun or surface and have never been seen by the human eye.

These fish care more about ads on jerseys than I do.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
If it’s really just one little ad on the jersey permanently, I don’t care.

I think we all know this is going to be a slippery slope though and lead to something far worse down the line, so for that reason I hate it.

Reactions: Ctrain2k

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Don’t care as long as it blends into the jersey. Would be annoyed if the logo isn’t the one of the teams colors though

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Dont care much about 1 little ad. If they start to look like Euro jerseys though that would be bad

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
If it’s really just one little ad on the jersey permanently, I don’t care.

I think we all know this is going to be a slippery slope though and lead to something far worse down the line, so for that reason I hate it.

Yes, if it’s just one little patch like the NBA jerseys then I’m indifferent. But I’d hate to end up like the European jerseys.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I think it takes away from the essence of the Jerseys being expressions of the team and the players and turns the players into denigrated walking billboards.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
NHL-jersey-ads-590x343.jpg

Someone posted this in another thread, it’s absolutely horrible.

Reactions: DowJones and banks

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If its one small add like what the NBA has done, I don't mind it. Anything more and i'll be against it. It's obviously going to help generate revenue and increase the cap, comes down to how they execute it.

raptors sun life patch - Google Search

These are so small and subtle, you can barely notice them.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I voted "I'm vehemently against jersey ads, so much so it will affect my spending on the league".

NHL's prestige going down with this imo. But I was kinda expecting it to come at some point. That's the way it works with hamburger liberalism. Money, money and money. Teams in the desert. Ads everywhere. Why not rename the teams to company names while we're at it. More money! "It's good to grow the game".

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
No one is going to buy a jersey with an ad on it

You'd be surprised if you ever went to European hockey game. People even buy new jerseys if this year's ads are great looking. Really.. same with football jerseys.

Personally I don't like them.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Don't like it but it is what it is. Was going to happen eventually.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I don't care. We won't notice them during gameplay, and they might not be included on jerseys we buy. They also won't look as out of place as some of the photo-shopped images people have posted.

Some of the NBA ones actually blend really well with the jersey. It's helping a lower-revenue sports league bring in more money, so it doesn't really matter to me.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm against it. But not enough to really matter. It looks worse, but it's a whole lot better than cash strapped teams barely spending to the cap floor or relocating.

As long as the ad meshes with the jersey colours, then I'll be over it pretty quick.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Don't really care. It doesn't affect the game, I don't care about the visuals and I don't collect jerseys or anything. If teams make more money and can translate that profit into icing better on-ice products, great. I will never buy a product based on seeing an ad on a hockey jersey, so I don't really know what the advertisers think they are getting out of this, but whatever... if it's more money into my team's operating budget, I guess go for it. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad