TNSE purchases old Jets logos, discontinues production indefinitely

larma

Mar 4, 2011
Winnipeg is one of only 4 teams Worldwide (pro & major junior, minor leagues etc) to feature as their central logo a piece of hardware whose sole purpose is to kill people. The Abbotsford Pilots of the BCJHL also features a CF-18, however, theres an over-lay of a puck. The other 2 North American teams sporting weapons are the Huntsville Flight of the NBA & the Houston Colt .45's; while elsewhere, the Mozambique FC sports crossed AK47's on their crest; FC Arsenal an antiquated Cannon as is the case with the NHL's Blue Jackets shoulder patches'.

Finnish SM-league team Tappara also sports a battle axe as their primary logo.

Fehr Time*

Still can't believe that they did not use their old jersey as their current one again. It's the one people actually liked as opposed to the new one where people just pretend to like it.

Fugu

Knock off all the OT. I don't want every thread on this board to devolve into those border skirmishes.

Mr. Fancy Pants

Sep 20, 2002
Gifu
Visit site
This is interesting. Even though they discontinued the old jerseys for now, I'm sure they will be back. There is too much money to make from them.

Does anyone know who can buy the rights? I mean, if the Jets 2.0 had been called the Moose or one of the other names being suggested, would the NHL have still sold them the rights to the old Jets logo?

Killion mentioned that a local musician previously had the rights to the Vancouver Millionaires. But that was in 77. Are there rules now around who can own rights to old NHL logos?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is interesting.

Killion mentioned that a local musician previously had the rights to the Vancouver Millionaires. But that was in 77. Are there rules now around who can own rights to old NHL logos?

He acquired the rights in 77, owned them for 33yrs & sold them to the Nuck's in 2010... And yes, Im sure the league would sell and or just possibly "gift" the trademark rights back to a revitalized franchise as part of the purchase agreement for a relo'd or expansion franchise. The buyer might not want to use the name (Colorado Rockies for eg., the rights possibly still held by the Devils?) but the rights would still have a great deal of intrinsic value in terms of merchandising sales. Youd' probably have to dig into a lot of it on a case by case basis as the situations are all different, the Leafs' for example, reacquiring the rights to the veined emblem I believe in the early 90's or so.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
He acquired the rights in 77, owned them for 33yrs & sold them to the Nuck's in 2010...

My guess is that trademarks on the Vancouver Millionaires name and logo had long expired (if they ever were registered in the first place) and that enterprising young musician saw the opportunity and grabbed them.

edit: Yup.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=539258

The marks had been owned by Vancouver-based businessman David John Mikl (also known by his recording artist and acting name, John Mikl Thor) for the past 33 years.

Mikl had used the marks since as early as 1977, first claiming an ownership interest through his exclusive use of the marks and then officially registering them as Canadian and U.S. trademarks. For the last decade, with the help of his wife and business partner Katherine Elo, he actively pursued a retail and internet merchandise program incorporating the marks, breathing new life into an almost forgotten brand. His efforts strengthened the brand and gave it a solid place in the world of retro brand sports licensing. By acquiring ownership of the trademarks, Canucks Sports & Entertainment has enhanced its ability to tell the story of professional hockey in Vancouver.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
My guess is that trademarks on the Vancouver Millionaires name and logo had long expired (if they ever were registered in the first place) and that enterprising young musician saw the opportunity and grabbed them.

Ya, absolutely. Sort of an early version of the 90's with Trollers registering IP Address / Domain Names, forcing a great many into having to purchase them from the hordes of claim jumpers, many of whom made out like Bandits.... Following the bouncing puck on trademarks in terms of the vintage apparel market is an interesting foray into the history of the game, as teams went bust, moved, sometimes carrying the nickname & moniker with them, sometimes not but retaining the trademark & logo's; others selling or just giving them away to junior, minor league or amateur teams that stepped in after their demise or relo.

The PCHA of the teens & twenties is an interesting case study, as many as 5 teams competing in the league at any given time. Victoria started out as the Senators, changed their name to the Aristocrats & then the Cougars. When the league folded & they were sold to interests in Detroit & the NHL, the name was retained, but the team fell into receivership. Norris Senior bought them out of Receivership & re-named them the Wings, designing the logo himself with the Winged Wheel, which he'd in part ripped off from an old Montreal team. Does Detroit therefore still own the rights to the Cougars name or where'd it get too?. Maybe the holder of the Montreal teams trademark that Norris used has a 91yr old copyright infringement case (if it was ever even trademarked, highly unlikely, but mebbe a case for Jackie Chiles to look into) against Detroit & the NHL?. Fun stuff...

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No one has mentioned Buffalo Sabres yet. The sabre is a cavalry sword, also for killing.

What about the Hartford Whalers, most think it's a great name. Too bad whaling is illegal. No different than naming a team the Northern seal clubbers.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
What about the Hartford Whalers, most think it's a great name. Too bad whaling is illegal. No different than naming a team the Northern seal clubbers.

Well, no, its not the same thing it all. Names like "Wolf Pack" or "Predators", the use of antiquated battle axes', swords or cocktail hour cannons from the RCYC are hardly in the same league as the use of modern day weapons of mass destruction on a teams crest; be it the FC in Mozambiques' crossed AK 47's, the worlds deadliest assault rifle, or Winnipegs use of the CF-18, zipping along at 1200mph dropping $100,000 smart & carpet bombs. Personally, I dont have a problem with it whatsoever, actually think its' pretty groovy, but other PC types? Not so much...

ur almost right

Mar 15, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

I see other people watch "What's in a Name".
http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=260009

Sorry if I ruined a "quote" of yours.

And, after I watched that episode, I do find a difference. It relates back to the title of the show. "What's in a Name". Whalers, while having a history of being a violent, grim death for the great fish...("Mammal.." "Whatever"...a la Seinfeld), the name itself isn't the same as "Northern Seal Clubbers". Had the name been "Hartford throwing spears into whales until thy die", then maybe...

As another franchise that was overlooked in the brief name discussion, the Washington Bullets. Their name wasn't about being a city full of guns, the "bullet" ref. was intended to mean fast, and quick. While it also could have a close tie to Washinton being the Defense head-quarters of the U.S, the name was changed as soon as they had to. (RE: Snipers)

A "direct" play on words, ("seal clubbers") has a different understanding than "whalers" or in the latest case, "jets".(considering, the actual Jet was previously an airliner, then, a sleek looking jet symbol/profile). I have no doubt the relation with the RCAF has it's own opinions, and I take no issue on the pro/neg. for it.

Here are a few more to mull over... Las Vegas Posse(CFL), Texas Rangers(MLB), New York Rangers(NHL), Oak. Raiders(NFL), TB Bucs'(NFL), and last but not least, DEVILS(NHL). While not all are "killing machines", the very groups they are associated with ARE an organized group that may/have committed the ultimate. The connection to their respective nicnames all come with a reason. Aside from the Devils. The actual (folklore) New Jersey Devil aside, the Devils have a pretty cool name.:)

Last edited:

Halifaxhab*

What about Toronto's logo? The leaf is blue...it is obviously choking...that and their ineptness at building a winner is killing an entire generation!!!!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You guys are just begging for a Mod to come along & lock this thing down aintcha?... :laugh:

dobiezeke*

You guys are just begging for a Mod to come along & lock this thing down aintcha?... :laugh:

Shouldn`t you be spewing your prose on the Pheonix Ownership thread:)

Brilliant move by a small market team that has to ensure that they remain financially lucrative.

ur almost right

Mar 15, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Shouldn`t you be spewing your prose on the Pheonix Ownership thread:)

Brilliant move by a small market team that has to ensure that they remain financially lucrative.

I agree with you.

The sheer fact that Winnipeg Jets merch. HAS been and IS some of the most profitable merchandise(NHL) out there, for YEARS (both yester-year and current), should be enough for most to just move on.

For some, it isn't. Small market or not, the Winnipeg franchise is(has) and will continue to surpass MANY of the existing franchises' in ALL aspects of marketing/sales. Especially the "not doin so well" teams.

I can think of a few markets that would LOVE to have the merchandise sales ALONE added to their books. Imagine that, such a demand for a product, that a company can discontinue one of the strongest income lines, and re-introduce it WHENEVER they want, just to keep making money...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I don't think Killion was ever a real supporter of a team relocating to Winnipeg in the first place ;)

Well let me just clear that up for ya'll right here & now; WRONG!... Id have preferred to have seen it through Expansion, as is the case for Quebec, Hamilton, Houston & Seattle, however, if a relo's the only option que sera sera. It is what it is. Winnipegs been in a position to host an NHL franchise since the second the MTS was a twinkle in Chipmans eye. Im thrilled to see the return of the Jets, but saddened to see the loss in Atlanta. The two extremes are not incompatible.... and to stay on topic, if I could remember what thread Im visiting.... Carry on.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Now, before anyone goes nuts on me, I totally reject these opinions, they are not mine. I have no problem with teams using Winchesters, Glocks, whatever the Hell turns their cranks because quite frankly their is both beauty & art in all kinds of weaponry, yes including messaging but so what, has the World gone Crazy with PC?. I personally believe our military history & contemporaries should be honored. In fact some people who love the Jets new logo are only disappointed in that they shouldve used the Canadian built CF-105 Avro Arrow instead of the CF-18 to make it truly Canadian, eh...

But here, check this one out; the IOC under Rule 51 told Team USA Goalie Jonathan Quick at last years Winter Olympics in Vancouver to remove the "Support Our Troops" message from his mask!. Incredible. There wouldnt be any of your precious Olympics if not for the US Military (along w/Canada & the rest of the Commonwealth etc) because we'd all be speaking German, Japanese & Arabic, and I can assure you you wouldnt want to be playing the "games" they'd be wanting us to play for their amusement... but I digress. Yet again.

As for the military stuff, I'm not a big fan. I guess I'm against anything that glorifies war, so shoot me... :) I don't mind the Winnipeg logo, but I've been to a Brampton Batallion home game and frankly, that was a bit much. You're playing hockey, not going to war...

As for the Quick thing, it's such a slippery slope. Clearly you have to draw the line somewhere with regards to political statements in the Olympics. I can understand the IOC reaction in the sense that it's so much easier to have a rule that bans 'everything' rather than a situation where every single statement has to be evaluated and then either allowed or not. Also, imagine what some nations might 'advertise' if this kind of stuff was allowed.

Money rules the IOC - always has, always will. So don't be surprised the next time the Olympics are awarded to a brutal dictatorship. But that's another discussion for another day.

EDIT: In short: I agree with Haymaker.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The Olympics are meant to be an apolitical event and even something as innocuous and one-size-fits-all as "support our troops" opens a loophole that can be exploited negatively by those that follow.

In short: I agree with Haymaker.

As do I. Haymakers a pretty astute poster considering his handle is code for an act of violence; a one punch KO.... Like Iginla on Mitchell; Evander Kane on the dastardly Matt Cooke. BAM!. ZZzzZZzzz. Putting the guy to sleep. "Hittin the hay". Goodnight Lucy. Nothing whatsoever to do with preparing feed for yer livestock I can assure you. :naughty:

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
As do I. Haymakers a pretty astute poster considering his handle is code for an act of violence; a one punch KO.... Like Iginla on Mitchell; Evander Kane on the dastardly Matt Cooke. BAM!. ZZzzZZzzz. Putting the guy to sleep. "Hittin the hay". Goodnight Lucy. Nothing whatsoever to do with preparing feed for yer livestock I can assure you. :naughty:

I still Youtube that video every now and then... brings a smile to my face.

RiverCitySlim

Jun 27, 2011
Still can't believe that they did not use their old jersey as their current one again. It's the one people actually liked as opposed to the new one where people just pretend to like it.

Everyone says they like those 90's Jerseys now. I remember everyone hating them when that logo came out and saying that the jet looked like a grain elevator that tipped over. Amazing what a little nostalgia will do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad