TNSE purchases old Jets logos, discontinues production indefinitely

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Scott Brown, director of communications for the Jets, confirmed the team obtained the trademarks for the old logos from the NHL this past summer. The league had owned them since the team moved to Phoenix in 1996 and became the Coyotes. He declined to speculate on how long the new logo might have the merchandising market to itself.

"We believe the focus in the market needs to be on the new logo for the next period of time," he said.

Any merchandise a producer wants to make featuring the old logo needs to be approved by the hockey club, Brown said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/true-north-buys-old-jets-logo-131123723.html

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
Sounds right for them to be taking business control of the logo. As suggested in the article, TNSE wants to look forward, not back and wants to emphasize the new logo. Interesting comment from the retailer about the new logo outselling the old one "hands down"-be nice to see some numbers, but that's probably not happening.

What will be interesting to see is that if they/when they do a third Jersey, if they choose NOT to go with the old logo (again thinking "forward") and instead using the shoulder logo as the "third" logo.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Hint: Th_rd J_rs_y

Yup, and look for it to be the older one (70's WHA style) not the 90's (I always disliked that one).
preview_533_77510.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hint: Th_rd J_rs_y

Hah!. I guess so eh... The Vancouver Canucks bought the rights to the Vancouver Millionaires (PCHL) Trademarks' & web domain last year from a local musician & actor who had acquired it in 77. Made a packet selling vintage jerseys, t-shirts & cap's over the internet. As last season was the Canucks 40th Anniversary in the league, I was a little surprised they didnt go all out & use the Millionaires "look", as the WHL's Vancouver Giants did in tribute a couple of seasons ago, replete with the maroon "Flying V" jerseys & beige pants. Quite the site. Mebbe their waiting for their 50th... The vintage market is obviously extremely lucrative, companies like SportsRetro, Mitchell&Dean etc offering up everything imaginable... oddly, some of it worn as "colors" by Gangbangers in places like East LA. Seals jerseys n' such.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well when the old logo is better then the newer one, who can blame them?

Actually I much prefer the new ones, in fact I think their fantastic; suspending the licensing for production of the old versions pretty astute... Interestingly, I have read some opinions in cyber-space with respect to Winnipeg replacing a passenger carrier ("Bringing the World to Winnipeg; Winnipeg to the World") with an in-use military fighter jet, bringing up the negative associations between "militarism, sloganism & sport".

Winnipeg is one of only 4 teams Worldwide (pro & major junior, minor leagues etc) to feature as their central logo a piece of hardware whose sole purpose is to kill people. The Abbotsford Pilots of the BCJHL also features a CF-18, however, theres an over-lay of a puck. The other 2 North American teams sporting weapons are the Huntsville Flight of the NBA & the Houston Colt .45's; while elsewhere, the Mozambique FC sports crossed AK47's on their crest; FC Arsenal an antiquated Cannon as is the case with the NHL's Blue Jackets shoulder patches'.

Now, before anyone goes nuts on me, I totally reject these opinions, they are not mine. I have no problem with teams using Winchesters, Glocks, whatever the Hell turns their cranks because quite frankly their is both beauty & art in all kinds of weaponry, yes including messaging but so what, has the World gone Crazy with PC?. I personally believe our military history & contemporaries should be honored. In fact some people who love the Jets new logo are only disappointed in that they shouldve used the Canadian built CF-105 Avro Arrow instead of the CF-18 to make it truly Canadian, eh...

But here, check this one out; the IOC under Rule 51 told Team USA Goalie Jonathan Quick at last years Winter Olympics in Vancouver to remove the "Support Our Troops" message from his mask!. Incredible. There wouldnt be any of your precious Olympics if not for the US Military (along w/Canada & the rest of the Commonwealth etc) because we'd all be speaking German, Japanese & Arabic, and I can assure you you wouldnt want to be playing the "games" they'd be wanting us to play for their amusement... but I digress. Yet again.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
90s logo and designs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new ones

I do expect the Jets would go the WHA route before the 90s when they do go retro, though. Unfortunately.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Actually I much prefer the new ones, in fact I think their fantastic; suspending the licensing for production of the old versions pretty astute... Interestingly, I have read some opinions in cyber-space with respect to Winnipeg replacing a passenger carrier ("Bringing the World to Winnipeg; Winnipeg to the World") with an in-use military fighter jet, bringing up the negative associations between "militarism, sloganism & sport".

Winnipeg is one of only 4 teams Worldwide (pro & major junior, minor leagues etc) to feature as their central logo a piece of hardware whose sole purpose is to kill people. The Abbotsford Pilots of the BCJHL also features a CF-18, however, theres an over-lay of a puck. The other 2 North American teams sporting weapons are the Huntsville Flight of the NBA & the Houston Colt .45's; while elsewhere, the Mozambique FC sports crossed AK47's on their crest; FC Arsenal an antiquated Cannon as is the case with the NHL's Blue Jackets shoulder patches'.

Now, before anyone goes nuts on me, I totally reject these opinions, they are not mine. I have no problem with teams using Winchesters, Glocks, whatever the Hell turns their cranks because quite frankly their is both beauty & art in all kinds of weaponry, yes including messaging but so what, has the World gone Crazy with PC?. I personally believe our military history & contemporaries should be honored. In fact some people who love the Jets new logo are only disappointed in that they shouldve used the Canadian built CF-105 Avro Arrow instead of the CF-15 to make it truly Canadian, eh...

But here, check this one out; the IOC under Rule 51 told Team USA Goalie Jonathan Quick at last years Winter Olympics in Vancouver to remove the "Support Our Troops" message from his mask!. Incredible. There wouldnt be any of your precious Olympics if not for the US Military (along w/Canada & the rest of the Commonwealth etc) because we'd all be speaking German, Japanese & Arabic, and I can assure you you wouldnt want to be playing the "games" they'd be wanting us to play for their amusement... but I digress. Yet again.

Hey Killion, I agree that the new uniforms and colours are pretty sharp. I'm one of those who isn't all that thrilled with the crest, I think that they did the best that they could with a "Jets" moniker. They only had three real choices for the logo:

1) a name only logo, but the NY Jets have already done that.
2) a commercial jet themed logo, but I always found the DC-9 commercial jet in a puck logo to be a bit uninspiring. A 747 or 787 wouldn't be all that inspiring either, come to think of it.
3) fighter jet logo. With this, they either had to go abstract and convey what a fighter jet does, or go more traditional and link it to other traditions. They chose the latter, and I can understand why.

Still, I think that the new logo has limited appeal beyond die-hard fans. The women in our family are waiting for the throw-back jerseys for any merchandise. Most aren't all that keen on wearing a grey fighter jet in a circle.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
We've already seen which troops the IOC supports, and they're not either of ours.

MandellOlympiceagle.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Still, I think that the new logo has limited appeal beyond die-hard fans. The women in our family are waiting for the throw-back jerseys for any merchandise. Most aren't all that keen on wearing a grey fighter jet in a circle.

Never thought of the female perspective on them, but ya, I can see how the fairer sex might have an aversion to it. Didnt know any girls who preferred GI Joe Jammys to a Barbie Teddy... unless they drive pickup's, dont use haircare products, make-up n' such, kinda got that Elvis sneer comin at ya....

We've already seen which troops the IOC supports, and they're not either of ours.

MandellOlympiceagle.jpg

:biglaugh::thumbu: Man, that is Wicked!... Olympic Rings on U Boats. Lovely. Charmed Im sure. Last thing our sailors ever saw.

Juan Antonio Samaranch, former Head of the IOC was for over 37yrs prior to that appointment in 1980 up to his Blue Shirted neck with General Francisco Franco's Fascists. Has a lot of trouble keeping his Right Arm from involuntary spastic perpendicularity... cant say much more n' that for fear Interpol will bust the door down & drag me back to a jail cell in Lausanne to finish my sentence for refusing to shake the mans hand at a cocktail reception years ago.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Wonder how much the team paid to get the logo back. Winnipeg buying up Phoenix history. I guess it was the only thing worth anything down there. Westgate and the team have gotten no offers.

Last edited:

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Wonder how much the team paid to get the logo back. Winnipeg buying up Phoenix history. I guess it was the only thing worth anything down there. Westgate and the team have gotten no offers.

The logo was owned by the NHL not the Yotes (even tho right now they are infact one and the same). Drawing this correlation may feel good to some, but is off base.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
makes sense. Give the new brand some years of exclusivity in order to grow on people, then relaunch the 'heritage' brand as a 3rd jersey.

kind of odd that they didnt do this back in june.

ur almost right

Mar 15, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Yes the NHL owns the logos, but I imagine Winnipeg could use them since the Thrashers are now part of Winnipeg's history.

ASG owns the branding,naming and logo rights to the Thrashers. The NHL does not. There is a AAA hockey team named the Winnipeg Thrashers that still hold the rights on THIER marketing/logos etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Thrashers

"The Atlanta Spirit Group, however, retains the rights and logos for the Thrashers"

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Meanwhile in Phoenix, folks are still figuring out how to turn a profit with a low payroll team in a large arena... :naughty:

well, hello there whileee, long time ;)

The old WHA versions will sell like hotcakes, I would think.

agreed. This market is insane right now...Jets things are all over the place. If the "newness" dies down in the next few years, why not bring some throwback stuff out?

Or, TNSE could do something similar to what the Bombers do: Sell these old school jerseys down the line for much more $$$ (Bombers Royal Blue Jerseys, retro jerseys cost more than the standard navy blue jersey) and do them for limited runs (i.e. preseason)

Smart move by TNSE, not surprising, but good to know the O.G. logos and associated rights and stuff is back in Winnipeg

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Feels like the new guys have an ego problem.

Not at all. The Chipman business moniker has always been control and monopoly. It has served them well too. The other pillar of dads was "Why pay a supplier when you can do it yourself and double dip your profits?" Very shrewd business folk... they didn't just fall off the combine. ;)

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

I think it's incredible that people go out of their way to take a how-dare-you-besmirch-our-precious-precious-troops attitude to any slight (real or hallucinated, and I think this is the latter) any time we don't fall all over ourselves to "show support" for the military (and I think what passes for "showing support" today - a bumper sticker on the back of a goalie mask - would be laughed at by people who "supported the troops" 70 years ago by sacrificing everyday things for the war effort).

The Olympics are meant to be an apolitical event (at least on the playing field - obviously there's a lot of schmoozing elsewhere among dignitaries), and even something as innocuous and one-size-fits-all as "support our troops" opens a loophole that can be exploited negatively by those that follow.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
ASG owns the branding,naming and logo rights to the Thrashers. The NHL does not. There is a AAA hockey team named the Winnipeg Thrashers that still hold the rights on THIER marketing/logos etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Thrashers

"The Atlanta Spirit Group, however, retains the rights and logos for the Thrashers"

Thanks. I'm surprised the NHL doesn't have a standard clause in awarding expansion teams that reverts the logo and naming rights back to the NHL in the event that the team ceases to exist. It was an issue with the Whalers too until recently. Good thing that they did own the Jets name and logo so that TNSE was able to obtain it without a lot of hassle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->