TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
So are you under the impression that if the NHL eliminated these "teams in cities that can barely fill half their seats" that your Leafs tickets would cost less? One has nothing to do with the other.

I also doubt that adding a second GTA team would make Leafs tickets any less expensive. It's a simple matter of supply and demand. If you meant that adding a second GTA team could result in the new teams tickets being more affordable, you may have a point. But I doubt that Leafs tickets get any less expensive no matter what.

not at all. leafs have no reason to charge less at the gate. it's possible that another team in the gta would be cheaper, but unlikely.

i would rather see the revenue sharing money go to teams that have a chance at growing in their market. if not the team should go to a market that will support the team, canadian or american.

the underserviced markets in canada would also pump alot of money back into revenue sharing for teams like nashville and carolina where things seem to be working.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
not at all. leafs have no reason to charge less at the gate. it's possible that another team in the gta would be cheaper, but unlikely.

i would rather see the revenue sharing money go to teams that have a chance at growing in their market. if not the team should go to a market that will support the team, canadian or american.

the underserviced markets in canada would also pump alot of money back into revenue sharing for teams like nashville and carolina where things seem to be working.

This is unlikely. Will a team in Winnipeg make so much more in gate and merchandise than a team in Atlanta? The difference would be negligible, as would local tv. It is possible that Winnipeg may not even contribute to revenue sharing either.

Thrillingbroom

Jun 15, 2009
This is unlikely. Will a team in Winnipeg make so much more in gate and merchandise than a team in Atlanta? The difference would be negligible, as would local tv. It is possible that Winnipeg may not even contribute to revenue sharing either.

I find it hard to believe that a Winnipeg would get less viewers (8000) than the Thrashers did. A sold-out MTS centre would average 1,500 more tickets than Atlanta and thats not even taking to account the actual paid attendance.

Retail1LO*

They are incompetent. At least two of the ASG inherited their money. That doesn't qualify them to be smart businesspeople.

If you lived here you'd see it. A competent owner wouldn't keep the same GM for eleven years after only one trip to the playoffs, then reward him with a promotion. When they fired Hartley after a handful of games a few years ago, they had the same clown coach the team for the remainder of the season. They let Kovy, Hossa, and Savard leave. Marketing was non-existent. The arena is becoming shabby.

Want me to tell you about the Hawks?

Lots of people inherit money. They inherited their money, and still have something like ASG. They're not failing in their other endeavors. And for the record, the Nashville Predators have kept Barry Trotz as their coach for the entire existence of the franchise, and they haven't been a rip roaring success either. They also didn't LET Kovy, Hossa, and Savard leave. They traded them, because had they not, they WOULD have left. The arena also has nothing to do with the performance of the team. Given the performance of the Thrashers, and Hawks...they were probably losing so much money that it would be stupid to fathom building a new arena for a couple of losers. That's usually something you do after you start to win.

Depends on how you use the word "incompetent" in this situation. They ARE incompetent because they do not know how to run a sports team(2 including the Hawks. They would be better off without them) and spend too much time arguing with each other(they sued their majority owner).

These are the same guys that intentially sabotoged their owner product just because they didn't want them. And they wonder why they have lost money. They are idiots in that sense.

They can't expect to have a good product if they refuse to market it and put money into it. Instead, all they did was just leave it be and hope for the best.

The only thing Bettman and the league could have done was fix this before it got too out of hand. A$G has everyone exactly where they want them. And they don't care how many people they screw in the process, as long as they get a nice big paycheck.

I think it's a crap situation when you have multiple owners. If they don't get along, things are going to run amok. No doubt. I still think anyone that feels an owner would sabotage their own team because they didn't want them, is foolish. There is absolutely NO ONE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH...that intentionally loses MILLIONS of dollars. NO ONE. They don't wonder why they lost money either. They know. Saying they put no money into it is ridiculous too. It's not like these players play for free.

When you say "the only thing Bettman and the league could have done was fix this before it got too out of hand", how do you propose they'd have done that? Tell me. What could the league have POSSIBLY done?

It's amazing you think that businesses are out there to do anything but look out for their own best interest. They're losing millions, and the only thing YOU see, is them screwing everyone else. I suppose on the flip side, if everyone else was having a grand ole time, it'd be ok if they were losing money, because everyone else was happy, right? I wonder if some of you realize that this is the BUSINESS of hockey section, and that running a club at the NHL level is a business. Big business. The fact people think they're owed something is amusing.

AugustBurnsRed*

No kidding they said it's not done.... obviously still some little things that need to be sorted out and finalized.

Retail1LO*

It's quite possible a team like Winnipeg will make more at the gate AND in merchandise than Atlanta. The reason being is that hockey isn't just the BIG thing in Winnipeg...it's really THE thing. The ONLY thing. There's no baseball, basketball, or football to share money with. It's all hockey, all the time. I'll also wager that airing a commercial in Winnipeg during a "Jets" game, is likely more expensive than running one in Atlanta. I'll bet far more people tune in to watch Jets games than Thrashers games, despite a smaller population.

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
Look, Bettman is Making It Seven.

Bettman making it seven?

I wouldn't say that. I'd say that he did not want Winnipeg, and that it is market forces, and nothing else that is making it seven. Market forces that, in this case, are stronger than the desires and wishes of Bettman and the BOG. Dare I even say market realities?

TNSE is making it seven, and to a small extent i'd even give a tad of credit to Balsillie.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Seems to be a lot of discussion and debate about the "announcement date" and when it actually is-I mean it's important, but there seem to be borderline flame wars going on because Brunt jumped the gun/made a mistake/whatever.

It looks like a deal is coming down the road, so why the debate and the "hate" on Brunt here? I mean, he messed up or jumped the gun, big deal-there's been no suggestion that the deal has fallen through, it's crossing I's and dotting T's (yes that was deliberate).

Why are we fighting over this? It seems rather petty.

Retail1LO*

I think it's amusing that the guys saying "it's not done" feel the need to even waste the time saying it. We know it's not done. There will be an announcement when it's done. Does it really make these clowns feel like they're delivering news...like they have a firm grip on the situation when they come out every day and announce the obvious? What's funny, is when it actually IS complete, every one of these dunces is going to come out mic in hand, reporting in a fashion that would lead you to believe they were breaking the news themselves, and that the announcement comes as a big surprise in wake of what had been constant news that nothing was done. Even when everything's quiet, it's gotta be a circus.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think it's a crap situation when you have multiple owners. If they don't get along, things are going to run amok. No doubt. I still think anyone that feels an owner would sabotage their own team because they didn't want them, is foolish. There is absolutely NO ONE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH...that intentionally loses MILLIONS of dollars. NO ONE. They don't wonder why they lost money either. They know. Saying they put no money into it is ridiculous too. It's not like these players play for free.

When you say "the only thing Bettman and the league could have done was fix this before it got too out of hand", how do you propose they'd have done that? Tell me. What could the league have POSSIBLY done?

It's amazing you think that businesses are out there to do anything but look out for their own best interest. They're losing millions, and the only thing YOU see, is them screwing everyone else. I suppose on the flip side, if everyone else was having a grand ole time, it'd be ok if they were losing money, because everyone else was happy, right? I wonder if some of you realize that this is the BUSINESS of hockey section, and that running a club at the NHL level is a business. Big business. The fact people think they're owed something is amusing.

Never heard of a thing called marketing have you?

Retail1LO*

Never heard of a thing called marketing have you?

Oh, and you're a wizard at it? How would YOU market the Thrashers to Atlanta after a decade plus of losing with barely anything that's resembled a contender? Seriously. Market the Thrashers for me. What's your selling point? You know...aside from dollar dog nights and dirt cheap tickets just to get people through the door. By the way, that's not marketing, it's called showing your ass.
Lot's of people belting out what the problem is, without any solutions. I'm guessing that whatever you come up with, the professionals have poured over long before you. It's not as cut and dry as all the armchair quarterbacks seem to think.

"Oh...well just market it!" Genius.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
It's quite possible a team like Winnipeg will make more at the gate AND in merchandise than Atlanta. The reason being is that hockey isn't just the BIG thing in Winnipeg...it's really THE thing. The ONLY thing. There's no baseball, basketball, or football to share money with. It's all hockey, all the time. I'll also wager that airing a commercial in Winnipeg during a "Jets" game, is likely more expensive than running one in Atlanta. I'll bet far more people tune in to watch Jets games than Thrashers games, despite a smaller population.

I sometimes think the Yotes saga did a number on us, where all NHL team sales transaction have to all excitement all the time! ;)

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

uhm we do have football. It's called the CFL and there are 17 000 people, out of a 29 000 seat stadium, that are season ticket holders. However that only goes until the latest November.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
Oh, and you're a wizard at it? How would YOU market the Thrashers to Atlanta after a decade plus of losing with barely anything that's resembled a contender? Seriously. Market the Thrashers for me. What's your selling point? You know...aside from dollar dog nights and dirt cheap tickets just to get people through the door. By the way, that's not marketing, it's called showing your ass.
Lot's of people belting out what the problem is, without any solutions. I'm guessing that whatever you come up with, the professionals have poured over long before you. It's not as cut and dry as all the armchair quarterbacks seem to think.

Compare this to this year's ad campaign. A handful of radio ads.

Anyone can think, "they should probably start showing stuff like the former again." That wasn't so hard, was it?

Retail1LO*

uhm we do have football. It's called the CFL and there are 17 000 people, out of a 29 000 seat stadium, that are season ticket holders. However that only goes until the latest November.

I do understand that But I was talking about professional sports. You know...NBA, NFL, NBA.... With all due respect, I just had no plans of taking the Blue Bombers into consideration. I have no idea how many people would pick the CFL over the NHL in Winnipeg if their money had to go to one or the other...I admit that. What's your thoughts?

richf7

Mar 8, 2007

The best marketing is winning. |It's that simple.

Retail1LO*

Anyone can think, "they should probably start showing stuff like the former again." That wasn't so hard, was it?

There is a chance that no effort was put into this year because the ownership group had determined the direction it was going in. My market something you don't intend to have around in the immediate future? Fact is, how much of the former marketing you showed, did anything for this franchise? Did the quality of advertising earlier fill the seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad