TML Penalty Kill - Better or Worse?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I understand it is early and that there will probably be more changes coming. When that time comes we can bump up this thread and revise and assess the pk lines.

As of now,

Gleason, Bolland, Mcclement, Kulemin, Raymond, Gunnarsson, D'amigo out

Polak, Robidas, Komarov, (maybe Granberg) in

I might be missing a few changes (including probably a new PK system implemented by one of the new assistant coaches that will be hired), but if we focus strictly on player personnel, does our PK improve?

Last edited:

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
I understand it is early and that there will probably be more changes coming. When that time comes we can bump up this thread and revise and assess the pk lines.

As of now,

Gleason, Mcclement, Kulemin, Gunnarsson, D'amigo out

Polak, Robidas, Komarov, (maybe Granberg) in

I might be missing a few changes (including probably a new PK system implemented by one of the new assistant coaches that will be hired), but if we focus strictly on player personnel, does our PK improve?

Can't get worse than the bottom! Only record left RC can beat is RW's from 2012, which, we thought was the end of the world.. the PK apocalypse is still here.. it's not the players, it is the coach..

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Have to wait and see who else signs. McClement was the biggest part of that PK. He was Selke worthy in that aspect alone

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Have to wait and see who else signs. McClement was the biggest part of that PK. He was Selke worthy in that aspect alone

Even so, taking out Gunnarsson, Mcclement and Kulemin, takes out a huge part of the leafs PK. Is there really an effective replacement for all of them that would be considered an improvement?

I thought maybe the young guys could step up, but the marlies best PKer in D'amigo was just traded. Ashton I don't consider a good option so we'd have to try and find someone. I just don't know whose out there that we could consider to be a better pker than Mcclement and Kulemin.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Even so, taking out Gunnarsson, Mcclement and Kulemin, takes out a huge part of the leafs PK. Is there really an effective replacement for all of them that would be considered an improvement?

I thought maybe the young guys could step up, but the marlies best PKer in D'amigo was just traded. Ashton I don't consider a good option so we'd have to try and find someone. I just don't know whose out there that we could consider to be a better pker than Mcclement and Kulemin.

This is why I think Smith will start the year as #4C..

Also, don't forget Bolland was supposed to be a top PK guy as well..

In terms of C we do not have any on the Leafs right now built for PK, so yes, it will be worse.
In terms of D I think Gunnar was actually a brutal PKer with terrible body position and extremely soft in front of his own net.. Polak/Robidas will be an upgrade on the PK.

We got rid of special team coaching so this may be an x-factor depending on who will be replacing.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
If we are only looking at players we didn't get better, can't say we are any worse either. It might be a case of addition by subtraction.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Losing Silent Jay, Kulie, Raymond and D'Amigo hurts big time.

Bringing Leo back helps, along with Frattin who can kill. I would like to see more of JVR and Bozak out there as the #1 PK unit. They have young legs and should not wear out (hopefully) as the season goes on.

Seeing more and more teams put their better players on the #1 PK nowadays.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
This is why I think Smith will start the year as #4C..

Also, don't forget Bolland was supposed to be a top PK guy as well..

In terms of C we do not have any on the Leafs right now built for PK, so yes, it will be worse.
In terms of D I think Gunnar was actually a brutal PKer with terrible body position and extremely soft in front of his own net.. Polak/Robidas will be an upgrade on the PK.

We got rid of special team coaching so this may be an x-factor depending on who will be replacing.

Komarov is originally a center but he plays on wing. I have to believe he can at least take the face offs and once in while can win as well.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Losing Silent Jay, Kulie, Raymond and D'Amigo hurts big time.

Bringing Leo back helps, along with Frattin who can kill. I would like to see more of JVR and Bozak out there as the #1 PK unit. They have young legs and should not wear out (hopefully) as the season goes on.

Seeing more and more teams put their better players on the #1 PK nowadays.

Bozak and Komarov it has to be for me. JVR can take care of the 2nd with someone like Ashton who has speed and can skate along side JVR for breakouts. JVR and Raymond combo was successful because they were threats for shorthanded breakouts.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Would also like to see them change up for the formation on the PK - not sure what RC calls the formation they are using now, but it's not a traditional 4-player box; they've been having two D back, with one forward stationary and the other point forward roaming from one side of the box to the other chasing the puck carrier.

The point guys then alternate at some point when a switchover occurs - it's a wierd formation for sure and gives up a lot of one-time point shots at the expense of clogging up the high cross ice passing lanes.

Since our PK was horrible last season anyways, a change in formation would be good.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Our PK wasn't 30th. It was 28th. So yes. it can be that bad ;)

I am going to assume that komarov and frattin will be back on PK duties, bozak/JVR as well (for the shorty chance), and dion (polak/robidas) on defense. as well as - if it were me, giving Jake/Morgan a chance to kill some and hone those skills.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
it's a thousand times better. Faster, grittier, and more character on the PK now.

i'd also take a look at Paul Byron. He maybe small but he's one of those fast guys who digs well in the corners and isn't scared to toss a big hit (even tho he's like 5'7)

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I think two big factors in having a good PK are winning the faceoff and being able to clear the guy in front of the net.

We did nothing to help with faceoffs. Hoping Bozak can get back to his winning ways. Anyone remember if Komarov is decent in the circle.

I can't really speak on clearing guys from in front of the net, but Gunnarsson was pretty horrid in that regard. I would think we improved in this regard.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I think better. Komarov and Frattin are both strong, hitting, puck retrievers. We no longer have Gunnarsson/Kulemin to fan on the puck every time they get it (obvious exaggeration but both of their puck handling skills leave much to be desired). Polak will clear the net much better than the soft Gunnarsson.

IMO our defense has improved a ton, by allowing people to play where they should.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Bozak and Komarov it has to be for me. JVR can take care of the 2nd with someone like Ashton who has speed and can skate along side JVR for breakouts. JVR and Raymond combo was successful because they were threats for shorthanded breakouts.

They weren't successful though

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
PK will be same or better because it can't be worse than 30th overall.

i have a hard time seeing us being significantly better though.

the players we have so far who can possibly play on the pk:

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-ashton
frattin-holland-clarkson
komorov-xxxxx-xxxxx

phaneuf-robidas
gardiner-polak
rielly-granberg

bernier
reimer

defenseman wise we are probably better defensively but forward wise i dont see how we are better. komorov, frattin, holland in, kulemin, mclemment, bolland, damigo out.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think it depends on who replaces McClement, and how good Polak/Robidas are on the PK.

Gunnarsson was one of our better penalty killing defensemen, and McClement/Kulemin were good for us.

That said, Komarov is a very good PKer.

The other factor is an assistant coach who specializes in penalty killing. That alone could make a world of difference, because as a team they were way too passive on the PK in my opinion.

It'll be hard to do worse than the Leafs PK did last season, to be fair. There's a good chance it will be better.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Our PK is on the road to being substantially better because of Polak + Robidas.

Having two righties who are good PKers will box people out in front of the net far better.

Dion will be able to play on his natural left side on the PK.

Franson as our only right shot this past season won't come anywhere close to averaging a 1:40 on the PK per game like he did last season which will help dramatically.

For the forward group Nonis isn't done yet and I expect someone like Fiddler, Winnik, Moss or McClement to be with the team on a 1 year deal.

Tyler Biggs*

Biggest weakness to fix: 28th overall penalty kill; 2nd overall the year before while making the playoffs; Komarov was a big part of that penalty kill; Polak will help it too; big shot blocker.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Another center who can kill penalties in Santorelli who averaged close to 2 minutes of PK last season added to go along with Komarov who was our 3rd most used PK forward two years ago.

Add in Polak + Robidas as RD who will ensure Franson doesn't see PK time and likely allow Phaneuf to play the left side on the PK and our PK is starting to come together nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad