Tmac vs Hitch (what is Hitch doing different than Tmac)

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Even just after a game, the entire tone and tenor of the scrum is so refreshing. Clear insights, specific details on what is and what is not working / things to change, and he goes into exacting detail on a player like Lucic for instance. I might have to change my mind about Hitchcock only staying on for the year. We always joked in our family how great it would be to have "The Professor" Hitch behind the bench and here it is. Let's see how he handles the season overall and the poor execution, lazy efforts, lousy fundamentals that have plagued this team for years on end, but this is certainly how I'd want to be coached as a player. Uncompromising, tough but fair assessments and also providing them clear details on how to improve their game.

I'm liking the professor alot already.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
TMac seems like the kind of teacher that comes into the class, throws stuff up on the board, and leaves. Next time you see him will be for the exam (game time). And if you fail and you're not on his list of favorites, you will experience the displeasure with falling ice time and possibly the press box.

Hitch seems to want to stick around and take questions and let you know what you did wrong. Not to mention what he writes on the board is probably 10 times easier to follow and more useful.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
TMac was here to coach us like we were a uber-talented roster, like we were the next Blackhawks or Penguins. We obviously bungled that aspect of it. That's not all of Todd's fault, he was brought here to coach one kind of team, a high octane up and coming club with McDavid, and it eventually became something totally different.

And when it went that way, he's not smart enough tactically to adjust, and in fairness there's not many guys who can do that.

Hitch is the first guy in ages to come here, maybe since the late 90s and understand this is not some uber talented club and instead we have to be a systems team, at least when McDavid is off the ice. We just can't win on talent because there isn't enough there.

I think he can even maybe get more from Lucic and Kassian. At least if you're not going to be a fast or skill team, well at least be a hard ass team, Todd never tried that enough IMO. He put too much of a leash on Kassian.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
TMac seems like the kind of teacher that comes into the class, throws stuff up on the board, and leaves. Next time you see him will be for the exam (game time). And if you fail and you're not on his list of favorites, you will experience the displeasure with falling ice time and possibly the press box.

Hitch seems to want to stick around and take questions and let you know what you did wrong. Not to mention what he writes on the board is probably 10 times easier to follow and more useful.

If you didn’t mention TMac, first blurb actually sounds eerily like Eakins

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You can spin it however you want, but at least you are finally admitting he isn’t an infallible god. ;)

I never said he takes shifts off btw. I said he sometimes he coasts for half of a particular shift and that he can (and will) be better than that by staying engaged all over the ice.
Without him, your man crush Hitch would be down 4-0 in the third. I didn't hear Hitch say McDavid coasts and sometimes may be lazy ..he simply claimed he can better utilize McDavids strenghts...you not so much

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Just wait until we play some home games. Hitch will ask the Brodziak line to play some tough minutes and McDavid will go supernova against 2nd or 3rd lines. Just look at Nate MacKinnon's lines numbers at home this year and last. They have Soderberg doing a lot of the heavy lifting to free up their stars.

The benefit is two-fold. McDavid scores way more, and the oppositions top line gets to deal with beasts like Kass and Lucic wearing them down on the cycle, so even when they are out against McDavid they have a little less gas in the tank.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just wait until we play some home games. Hitch will ask the Brodziak line to play some tough minutes and McDavid will go supernova against 2nd or 3rd lines. Just look at Nate MacKinnon's lines numbers at home this year and last. They have Soderberg doing a lot of the heavy lifting to free up their stars.

The benefit is two-fold. McDavid scores way more, and the oppositions top line gets to deal with beasts like Kass and Lucic wearing them down on the cycle, so even when they are out against McDavid they have a little less gas in the tank.

tenor.gif

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
There has been a lot euphoria on the boards in the last 24 hours but really its just one game.

Whether Hitch is really going to be effective remains to be seen. Lets wait and see how he utilizes players.

Reactions: VainGretzky

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
With his ice time and recovery you can almost have 2 separate lines with McDavid.

He said today on Sportsnet that he had enough gas to double shift him for the third - wonder if that is something that will hold up after a few games though.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
The big thing I noticed was his game management is a big cut above what TMac was doing. I would argue this was TMacs weakness though.

Will not know the impact of his systems and coaching for probably a couple of weeks. I hope he gives the assistant coaches the reigns to take care of their respective areas. I feel like TMac may have been holding the grip too tight there based upon how similar out PP and PK look to last season.

Reactions: Cypress

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Tmac was here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And he was all out of kicking ass.

y5dryqJ.gif

Replace words and phrases with McLellisms like "Overplay Benning", "Use Lucic in a Skill Role", "Call Out Draisaitl for No Reason" etc

Last edited:

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
The one thing that I noticed from the game is the reduction in the point shots compared to what normally do. I don't mind point shots but it seems like this year and the past year they took way too many. I found it generally inefficient way to play because point shots don't have high percentage of going in and we don't really have any great shots from the point. This game it looked Oilers tried to look for a bit more higher quality looks but didn't get too many to my eye. As we continue to play in Hitch system I expect as the team gets used to the system we will be more successful in this facet.

North

Jun 25, 2009
There has been a lot euphoria on the boards in the last 24 hours but really its just one game.

Whether Hitch is really going to be effective remains to be seen. Lets wait and see how he utilizes players.

I think everyone is aware of that, it's just Hitch is a breath of fresh air compared to McLellan.

He seems to be very communicative which is important for a team as young as the Oilers.

That being said it is one game and most of us understand we have to wait to see what sort of affect he has on the team in the long run.

Reactions: Aerrol and Cypress

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I looked up TMac's presser from his Hiring. Near zero talk about Xs and Os, a lot of the usual "there will be tough nights... how special McDavid is... Hall and Eberle are great people... Building towards an identity..."
The sad thing is that we were so conditioned by Eakins terrible quotes (game with no hits, chop wood, etc) we thought Todd was a breathe of fresh air at the time.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
The media from Hitchcock has been so refreshing. When he said he knows what's wrong and how to fix it is one thing, but to go and have these detailed breakdowns of what players need to do better right off the bat... Even if he's only here for the season he could have a lasting impact on this team.

That and I got really excited watching the game when I realized we have a coach that line matches now.

Still need to reserve judgement for a while here, as the team predictably should be putting their best foot forward right now to show the new coach he can trust them.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
TMac is s darn good coach! He needs to take a step back and reevaluate how he delivers his message. Hitchcock isn’t the same coach he was 20/10/5 years ago, his style and message have changed. Hitchcock is still a no-nonsense guy, but not nearly as scary as he used to be.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
TMac is s darn good coach! He needs to take a step back and reevaluate how he delivers his message. Hitchcock isn’t the same coach he was 20/10/5 years ago, his style and message have changed. Hitchcock is still a no-nonsense guy, but not nearly as scary as he used to be.
You mellow with age.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
First thing I noticed was Lucic on the fourth line. Todd was so thick headed he didn't even try this once. Wow.
are you categorizing the fourth line with names or minutes played. According to the minutes played the Line of Brodz, Kass and Lucic was on third line.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Following players will blossom under Hitch: Drai, Lucic, Kass, Brodz, Khaira

Draisitil - see Benn
Lucic - see Nash (at least 25%of his scoring)
Kassian - Mike Keane
Brodziak - his time in St. Louis
Khaira - see Upshall

Here are some bubbles: Rattie, Marody

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad