Tmac vs Hitch (what is Hitch doing different than Tmac)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Right away he says what I always b**** about. Connor needs to have the puck more coming out of our zone.

Also, I always b**** about how the forwards go out too far. He wants mroe touches and the forwards closer to the inside dots.

Hallelujah

It’s amazing that in 48 hours Hitch can diagnose and try to fix everything that was wrong with how the team was playing, while TM spent the better part of 2 years not knowing what the f*** was going on.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It’s amazing that in 48 hours Hitch can diagnose and try to fix everything that was wrong with how the team was playing, while TM spent the better part of 2 years not knowing what the **** was going on.
Give him some time and he’ll become as clueless as everyone else in the organization.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
It’s strange how we probably have the most knowledgeable hockey fans of any market on earth but our hockey Management is the worst in professional hockey (honourable mention to Eugene). There are dozens of guys on here who could do better than Chia.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
It’s strange how we probably have the most knowledgeable hockey fans of any market on earth but our hockey Management is the worst in professional hockey (honourable mention to Eugene). There are dozens of guys on here who could do better than Chia.

I wouldn't trust 1 single poster on HF to vacuum the carpest in the dressing room, let alone near anything resembling upper management.
Fans have the attention span of goldfish, and would conduct bussines on knee jerk reactions.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Give him some time and he’ll become as clueless as everyone else in the organization.

I highly doubt that, Hitch has a great track record and I can't see him falling into the same garbage as some of these guys have. I'm sure he will be here 2 seasons max, hopefully long enough to really teach some of these players good habits.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Hitch knows he's here to finish out the season and that's it. So he'll be less reserved than some alternatives. He was brought in to add discipline and teach some things the team is missing.

I know for a fact that Hitch is done after this season, a mod can PM me for a source? I don't know how it works. I haven't had one in the hockey world before.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
It’s amazing that in 48 hours Hitch can diagnose and try to fix everything that was wrong with how the team was playing, while TM spent the better part of 2 years not knowing what the **** was going on.

one thing to remember is that Hitch had 7 months of retirement living in Edmonton. Hitch has been an oiler fan his entire career. I am certain that he shadow followed the bloggers and maybe even this forum. He certainly would not agree with everything but, IMO, he had a lot of information about the Oilers prior to accepting the job.

I wonder if Viverios gets more responsibility with the PP now as that has been a major concern for fans / bloggers. I am almost certain the 5 left shooting pp died two days ago

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
giphy.gif

This is why our fanbase has a bad rap

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
No no, trust me, rimming it around the boards to our forwards who have already blown the zone HAS to be the right way - Todd.
Don't have dmen that can make 15 foot passes? Force them to make 25 foot ones!

Reactions: TB12 and Quokka

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

He's also a retired coaching legend that's still a huge fan of the game. I bet he watched hockey almost daily while he was retired with the Oilers being his most watched team. He's been coming up with strategies for us for the last 2 years.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Seems like he communicates what he expects from players. That seems to be the recurring theme from ex players in regards to TMac. Nobody had any idea why they were or weren’t in the lineup.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
He's also a retired coaching legend that's still a huge fan of the game. I bet he watched hockey almost daily while he was retired with the Oilers being his most watched team. He's been coming up with strategies for us for the last 2 years.

Except the 3rd periods because those were past his bedtime! :laugh:

Reactions: Porkleaker

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hitch stresses a relentless forecheck all the time, every single minute of every single game. If you get buy in, and have the right players to pull it off, it's a stellar system. I am not worried about buy-in, since the players want to win, but I'm not sure the team has the horses to get it done. We shall see. On a random point of interest, hopefully Replacement is consistent in his hate for this type of play since he has consistently made it clear that he doesn't think teams can play balls to the wall all season long and not pay for it in the post-season. He pointed out the Blues as the poster boy for this failed system repeatedly.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
He put a checking line together that checked.

Honestly Chia got us some big pieces. Pundits said he was a dollar short and a day late (new NHL is small/fast), but hmmm maybe the coach didn't utilize the pieces properly. Oilers didn't really seem like a punishing team majority of nights. Is is the new NHL or the system/coach?
Maybe my dream will come true and opposing teams will start to hate coming to Edmonton, and REALLY hate coming thru Alberta. I don't mean due to McDavid or getting 5 goals against, I mean getting hit on almost every shift and knowing you're in for difficult games when you come into Roger's.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think everyone is aware of that, it's just Hitch is a breath of fresh air compared to McLellan.

He seems to be very communicative which is important for a team as young as the Oilers.

That being said it is one game and most of us understand we have to wait to see what sort of affect he has on the team in the long run.

Yeah I was really pleasantly surprised to hear Hitch talk about his dialogue with players. Didn't expect that at all from a notorious hard ass coach. It definitely is more of what our team needs.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Hitch knows he's here to finish out the season and that's it. So he'll be less reserved than some alternatives. He was brought in to add discipline and teach some things the team is missing.

I know for a fact that Hitch is done after this season, a mod can PM me for a source? I don't know how it works. I haven't had one in the hockey world before.

@Bryanbryoil usually handles these, I think?

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

Honestly Chia got us some big pieces. Pundits said he was a dollar short and a day late (new NHL is small/fast), but hmmm maybe the coach didn't utilize the pieces properly. Oilers didn't really seem like a punishing team majority of nights. Is is the new NHL or the system/coach?
Maybe my dream will come true and opposing teams will start to hate coming to Edmonton, and REALLY hate coming thru Alberta. I don't mean due to McDavid or getting 5 goals against, I mean getting hit on almost every shift and knowing you're in for difficult games when you come into Roger's.

Well Lucic is at least playing that role well this season, hitting a lot but just need the rest of them to start pounding on everyone. It's a shame every time Kassian hits someone it's almost an automatic penalty though. Refs love to hate him.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Yeah I was really pleasantly surprised to hear Hitch talk about his dialogue with players. Didn't expect that at all from a notorious hard ass coach. It definitely is more of what our team needs.

Seemed pretty clear that Todd wasn't a hands on type of coach and probably delegated that to others, sat in an office chewing his gum and watched netflix all day. Huge disconnect, lack of communication doesn't really help the younger players either. Hitch sounds like the perfect fit - hope it pans out and we can actually make the playoffs, had we kept Todd I guarantee they would've missed by a huge margin.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006

A team with Milan Lucic on it should be scaring the hell out of the opposition every night. If all that Hitch does is tell Lucic to forget about scoring goals and forget about how much he is being paid and just go out there and wreck guys than he is already a better coach than Tmac.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I highly doubt that, Hitch has a great track record and I can't see him falling into the same garbage as some of these guys have. I'm sure he will be here 2 seasons max, hopefully long enough to really teach some of these players good habits.
You think he'll never come into contact with the great hockey minds of the Edmonton Oilers?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

While I believe you, depending on how this goes I hope we can keep him and still dump Chia. I've loved most of the things he's talked about so far

Reactions: Pointteen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad