Confirmed with Link: Tkachuk signed a seven-year, $57.5 million deal. The AAV is 8.214 million

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Both are leaders,doesnt matter what letter they wear

I actually love the approach management has taken with regards to the "C". They have not thrown it at Brady now that he has signed long-term, they are showing respect to the other leaders on this team by waiting it out, going with a few "A's" and letting all the dust settle around the new contract signing before they make a decision.

I still think it will be Brady, but at least if they announce it a little later on, it will not have that feeling where the "C" was tied to a long-term contract.

Reactions: topshelf15

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I had forgot how cool it is to have a player like Tkachuk. Seeing him on tv the other night at the game was neat. He has tons of swagger and his team mates love him. I hope he stays at least 7 years. Go Sens.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I had forgot how cool it is to have a player like Tkachuk. Seeing him on tv the other night at the game was neat. He has tons of swagger and his team mates love him. I hope he stays at least 7 years. Go Sens.

You get what you pay for. Those of you who were only blinded by stats were missing the point entirely on why it was crucial to overpay and keep Brady a Senator long term.

The energy his signing brought to the fanbase and team two days ago was next level and something I have never seen before with this team.

The city and fans of the Ottawa Senators are so desperate to have this team become relevant again and become the pride of the city again, and signing Brady was a huge huge step back in that direction. It sends a sign that the organization is serious about the rebuild.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You get what you pay for. Those of you who were only blinded by stats were missing the point entirely on why it was crucial to overpay and keep Brady a Senator long term.

The energy his signing brought to the fanbase and team two days ago was next level and something I have never seen before with this team.

The city and fans of the Ottawa Senators are so desperate to have this team become relevant again and become the pride of the city again, and signing Brady was a huge huge step back in that direction. It sends a sign that the organization is serious about the rebuild.

Very well said.

Like, for real, I had a sense of pride at being a Sens fan when he signed. I haven't felt that in years. His presence alone might just jolt this organisation into relevance again not only in Ottawa, but in the entire league. Just gotta hope Melnyk follows through on past promises and spends to the cap when all the kids mature.

Reactions: GCK

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Guys walks out into the stands after signing a post ELC deal to an ovation and chants from a packed house.

In a nut shell the power of intangibles.

Svetch signed his deal in his moms basement and walked unnoticed to the arena.

;)

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Very well said.

Like, for real, I had a sense of pride at being a Sens fan when he signed. I haven't felt that in years. His presence alone might just jolt this organisation into relevance again not only in Ottawa, but in the entire league. Just gotta hope Melnyk follows through on past promises and spends to the cap when all the kids mature.

I will have to find the segment again, but during Dorions press conference he emphasized that "cash was never the problem, but there is a cap!".

And he repeated that point as kind of re-assurance that money was not the issue with Brady but that big picture we need to fit more players under the cap very soon and then he mentioned Sanderson, Stützle, Norris, Pinto etc.

Melnyk will have no choice but to spend if he wants to keep these guys.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Brady is the closest thing to Daniel Alfriedsson we fans have ever seen.

You can’t really describe it because it’s like explaining why fans like a certain song more then others, but with all these things it comes down to heart and passion. Alfie and Tkachuk have the two Deepest connections with the fans of all players ever to play the game in a Sens jersey, with all due respect to EK, Hossa, Chara, Redden, Fisher, Spezza - Ottawa’s an old school hockey town who’s first love is a kid from Sweden with the work ethic of a guy from Carp, and along comes an another old school spirit from St Louis who’s willing to do the work of manliness it takes to win at the next level - that old school fan in each of us as Sens fans can’t help but love Brady and Alfie

Last edited:

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
Brady is the closest thing to Daniel Alfriedsson we fans have ever seen.

You can’t really describe it because it’s like explaining why fans like a certain song more then others, but with all these things it comes down to heart and passion. Alfie and Tkachuk have the two Deepest connections with the fans of all players ever to play the game in a Sens jersey, with all due respect to EK, Hossa, Chara, Redden, Fisher, Spezza - Ottawa’s an old school hockey town who’s first love is a kid from Sweden with the work ethic of a guy from Carp, and along comes an another old school spirit from St Louis who’s willing to do the work of manliness it takes to win at the next level - that old school fan in each of us as Sens fans can’t help but love Brady and Alfie

I love Alfie... but this is different. That is all I have to add.

Reactions: GCK

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Guys walks out into the stands after signing a post ELC deal to an ovation and chants from a packed house.

In a nut shell the power of intangibles.

Svetch signed his deal in his moms basement and walked unnoticed to the arena.

;)
No, that's the power of getting in front of fans the same day you sign after an extended contract dispute that had fans thinking it would drag on.

If Brady had signed back in Aug alot of the excitement would have died down in the two months that followed and we'd have a different reaction entirely.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
No, that's the power of getting in front of fans the same day you sign after an extended contract dispute that had fans thinking it would drag on.

If Brady had signed back in Aug alot of the excitement would have died down in the two months that followed and we'd have a different reaction entirely.

So what you're implying here is that Dorion willingly extended the negotiation process until the very last minute just so we could get the major hype from Brady signing and walking into a standing ovation from a relieved crowd on opening night?

PD with the real intangibles here. :sarcasm:

Seriously though the way it worked out might be the greatest marketing boost this organisation has ever gotten.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So what you're implying here is that Dorion willingly extended the negotiation process until the very last minute just so we could get the major hype from Brady signing and walking into a standing ovation from a relieved crowd on opening night?

Seriously though the way it worked out might be the greatest marketing boost this organisation has ever gotten.

Hard to gauge, did they cause any damage from the prolonged negotiations? There was some palpable negativity.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Was it planned? Maybe.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

That is a fair point, but I think his point still stands because most Sens fans wanted Brady signed at any cost. Signing him short term would have left a sort of dark cloud over the team for the first little while and potentially the rest of the season because it would have re-enforced opinions that star players do not want to play here.

Brady signing for 7 years basically shuts that idea out entirely.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Hard to gauge, did they cause any damage from the prolonged negotiations? There was some palpable negativity.

Yes there was and it all went into the trash once a long term deal was reached. The negativity might still have been there had the agreement been only a 1-3 year deal, but all of that ended up being speculative garbage as Dorion himself confirmed that a short term deal was never discussed; only 5 or more.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes there was and it all went into the trash once a long term deal was reached. The negativity might still have been there had the agreement been only a 1-3 year deal, but all of that ended up being speculative garbage as Dorion himself confirmed that a short term deal was never discussed; only 5 or more.
Oh, I'm not saying the negativity wasn't surpassed by the positive energy created by the signing, more questioning whether getting him signed to the same deal right of the bat would have equalled or surpassed the net impact. No way to really know imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad