Speculation: TJ Brodie the odd man out this offseason?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
This is not the dumbest proposal on these boards, but it deserves Honourable Mention.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Before he got here our defence was trash, after he got here our defence has been very good. The guy is extremely underrated.

This.

Honestly, Brodie is to the current Leafs what Kaberle was to the early-mid 2000s Leafs. McCabe got all of the fanfare; but Kaberle was the guy subtly holding things together.

It appears that Muzzin is probably going to be done.... just a matter of whether you're in LTIR all year, or move him to a floor team.

If Timmins, Liljegren and Sandin continue to establish themselves, it will likely pave the way for Holl's departure, and possibly alleviate the need to bring in a $4m+ defenceman for that #3 role. Toronto isn't going to put themselves in a position where Sandin/Liljegren are their 2nd highest paid defencemen.

Ideal-case scenario for next year, the right side is Brodie, Liljegren & Timmins. Niemla in the AHL to start. A seasoned vet like Jordie Benn in a #7 role.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Before he got here our defence was trash, after he got here our defence has been very good. The guy is extremely underrated.

This.

Honestly, Brodie is to the current Leafs what Kaberle was to the early-mid 2000s Leafs. McCabe got all of the fanfare; but Kaberle was the guy subtly holding things together.

It appears that Muzzin is probably going to be done.... just a matter of whether you're in LTIR all year, or move him to a floor team.

If Timmins, Liljegren and Sandin continue to establish themselves, it will alleviate the need to bring in a $4m+ defenceman for that #3 role,

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Need guys to play tough minutes. Holding leads. Matching up against star forwards. Killing penalties. Brodie does this and can play both sides effectively.

I'm wondering who's going to be the penalty killers if Sandin Rielly and Timmins are all in the lineup full time next year. Keefe uses Rielly sparingly on the pk and doesn't trust Sandin and Timmins there at all.

Going to have to start trusting Sandin and Liljegren there more I guess.

Reactions: Buds17

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just thinking about our defense, I think it is likely the Leafs try and re-sign Holl. Reasoning for this is the team really love him he is probably our best PKing dman, and I think he likes it here and will sign for his current cap hit or less. However there is still cap issues with the team even still and thinking about where salary might be saved, I think Brodie is the odd man out.

- Frequently injured this season but still playing well when in the lineup
- Only 1 more year left anyways and unlikely to be kept after that.
- Money would cover the extension to Bunting
- Lilly and Timmins would likely be two of the RD going forward and fill out the RD with Holl. We also have prospects knocking on the door like Niemela so there isn't really room for Brodie next season at his cap hit.
- He is still a top 4 dman and has trade value especially given the term left. I think at the draft he could be used to move a pick up a round in the top 90 easily.

Next year without any changes the D is still largely intact

Rielly - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren
Gio - Timmins

I think in this scenario, the team would rather have the flexibility in the offseason to shape the roster they want and add a D in season as they have the past few years if needed.

Thoughts?

Absolutely not, you don't keep Holl over Brodie that's ridiculous to even suggest.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Need guys to play tough minutes. Holding leads. Matching up against star forwards. Killing penalties. Brodie does this and can play both sides effectively.

I'm wondering who's going to be the penalty killers if Sandin Rielly and Timmins are all in the lineup full time next year. Keefe uses Rielly sparingly on the pk and doesn't trust Sandin and Timmins there at all.

Going to have to start trusting Sandin and Liljegren there more I guess.
It would probably work to the benefit of Timmins most of all due to Rielly and Sandin being the PP options. Definitely something to keep an eye on if we're indeed looking at next season's starting six on the blueline.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Bruh if this team has Brodie as the odd man out before Justin f***ing Holl it might just be the tipping point for me as a fan and I’m not even someone who hates Holl

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He will be a victim of the cap squeeze. At some point Leafs will have to make decisions and there will be some salary needing to come off the books and replaced, especially if they continue to be allergic to Cup celebrations.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is a “maybe.”

Brodie is the kind of mainstay that gives the Leafs a certain look, and changing him could change the complexion of the blueline significantly. Does it become more high end puck carrying, offensively oriented? Does that spot become more of a physical monster to replace Muzzin? Does it stay exactly the same? What is Sandin and Liljegren progression like by next summer. What is Gio’s decline look like by next summer? All kind of connected to a Brodie decision or decision to stand pat.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Odd man out of what? He is a mainstay and they want him healthy for the playoffs. We just lost Muzzin and unless we trade for a top 2 stud there is no way he is leaving. Holl is your odd man out when we make a trade.

Reilly Brodie
Gio ( ?)
Lilly Timmins Sandin
Holl Benn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad