Speculation: TJ Brodie the odd man out this offseason?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Just thinking about our defense, I think it is likely the Leafs try and re-sign Holl. Reasoning for this is the team really love him he is probably our best PKing dman, and I think he likes it here and will sign for his current cap hit or less. However there is still cap issues with the team even still and thinking about where salary might be saved, I think Brodie is the odd man out.

- Frequently injured this season but still playing well when in the lineup
- Only 1 more year left anyways and unlikely to be kept after that.
- Money would cover the extension to Bunting
- Lilly and Timmins would likely be two of the RD going forward and fill out the RD with Holl. We also have prospects knocking on the door like Niemela so there isn't really room for Brodie next season at his cap hit.
- He is still a top 4 dman and has trade value especially given the term left. I think at the draft he could be used to move a pick up a round in the top 90 easily.

Next year without any changes the D is still largely intact

Rielly - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren
Gio - Timmins

I think in this scenario, the team would rather have the flexibility in the offseason to shape the roster they want and add a D in season as they have the past few years if needed.

Thoughts?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
No. I'm up for a savvy LTIR move until playoffs though haha (not that I expect it)

He's been injured a few times and we're kinda jammed....

Imagine him back on the 3rd pair at playoffs, with a lineup like:

Chychrun - Liljgren
Rielly - Timmins
Giordano - Brodie
Holl

Daamn

Lol back to real life.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
1673449223219.png

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Da odd man out next year is Holl .. weakest hockey skills of current D group .. he may hang around league at league MIN AAV for a few years if he can promise a team he will play SIMPLE no risk hockey .. he may even stay with Leafs as 7th dman on league AAV MIN too on same basis .. we will see this offseason

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Da odd man out next year is Holl .. weakest hockey skills of current D group .. he may hang around league at league MIN AAV for a few years if he can promise a team he will play SIMPLE no risk hockey .. he may even stay with Leafs as 7th dman on league AAV MIN too on same basis .. we will see this offseason
I agree he will be gone but someone will pay him more than league minimum. He'll get 5 mil over 2 years, something like that.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I don't mind getting rid of brodie............. if we get slavin back.

Seeing as that ain't happening... f*** no.

Brodie is so sick lol. Lately he's made some offensive mistakes but who cares? An absolute rock on the backend, you win with guys like him.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Brodie can play his natural left side
Brodie can play his off RHD side
Brodie can play well with the kids
Brodie can play well with the vets
Brodie can PK
Brodie can chew up 20+ minutes in the playoffs

I think we should keep him

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
While I certainly wouldn't expect his next AAV to approach 5M, it does still seem optimistic to have Holl re-sign for 2M or less if he can be counted on to essentially "replace" Brodie.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
While I certainly wouldn't expect his next AAV to approach 5M, it does still seem optimistic to have Holl re-sign for 2M or less if he can be counted on to essentially "replace" Brodie.
Holl our ice time leader per game.

And his best abilility is his availability. Dude shows up to work every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad