Tired of Roger Goodell?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Good thing the eclipse is today so i can go burn my eyes out.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
He's controversial, but anyone who makes significant changes is going to carry that burden in today's media climate.

I would be really interested to see a graphic or #'s on suspensions in Goodell's time. It feels like he came into the league cracking the whip on players, and the number of suspensions now seems to be declining. I'd call that a success - I think he has cleaned up the game to a degree. He still is making examples of players but overall I think the number of suspensions is lower than a few years ago.

His next major challenge is probably going to be expansion at some point and the CBA.

He's not popular but I do think he has carried out his objectives pretty well despite everything thrown at him.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It wouldn't matter who the commissioner is. He does the bidding of the owners.

Agreed. He is doing what the owners want. The owners wanted him to get serious about conduct issues. The owners are fine with him treating pot use like it's ten times worse than wife beating. The owners wanted additional fines and suspensions for head shots.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Agreed. He is doing what the owners want. The owners wanted him to get serious about conduct issues. The owners are fine with him treating pot use like it's ten times worse than wife beating. The owners wanted additional fines and suspensions for head shots.

I'm not sure about the last one. :laugh:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He's a spineless dirtbag that carries the owner's water. You can blame the owners for most of the NFL's issues, but at the same time you can blame him for capitulating to all their wishes because of the almighty dollar, instead of doing what is actually good for the game.

Unfortunately, the NFL is not a democracy, and the fans have chosen not to make their voice heard through their pocketbooks. So this crap will just keep continuing.

But at this rate, there will come a time, and probably sooner than people think, that the NFL will no longer have broad popular appeal. It will simply be people with loyalties to a certain team who only care about and only watch that team. And at that point, we'll see the start of a steep decline.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm shocked. I was sure the NFL would get rid of the Bowie Kuhn, but they are going to fetter themselves to this corpse for another 5 years.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Meh. I don't like the guy, but as a fan, the product is fine.

Yeah the product is fine, except for retired athletes not being able to live properly due to head trauma, which is swept under the rug. Or domestic assaults caught on camera, which are attempted to be swept under a rug. But let's turn a blind eye since we are being entertained.

He's a POS that's simply content keeping status quo and his $35m+ salary.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
You're right. Goodell should strap them in bubble wrap and assign babysitters to them 24/7.

Meanwhile, back in the world of realistic expectations, there's not a whole lot to be done about that ****.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You're right. Goodell should strap them in bubble wrap and assign babysitters to them 24/7.

Meanwhile, back in the world of realistic expectations, there's not a whole lot to be done about that ****.

The problem is turning a blind eye. Goodell isn't completely responsible for finding miraculous equipment that prevents this stuff from happening, though if he had a semblance of a heart he'd push the owners to do something. But then he wouldn't have a job, right.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
He has virtually zero pull with the owners. They are his bosses. If he wants something they don't want, they'll find someone who shares their values more closely. It just doesn't matter.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah the product is fine, except for retired athletes not being able to live properly due to head trauma, which is swept under the rug. Or domestic assaults caught on camera, which are attempted to be swept under a rug. But let's turn a blind eye since we are being entertained.

He's a POS that's simply content keeping status quo and his $35m+ salary.

wow - you need to go visit the Ezekiel Elliott thread.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't love or hate Goodell, but between the Zeke & Brady things it would be funny if the owners have had enough. Quit going on a witch hunt above the law to punish your own players.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This can't be solely because of the Zeke situation, can it?

I'm willing to bet it is. Cause Kraft isn't impeding anything and Goodell f***'d him over last year.

I don't love or hate Goodell, but between the Zeke & Brady things it would be funny if the owners have had enough. Quit going on a witch hunt above the law to punish your own players.

Thats his problem. He has now enraged the two most powerful/influential owners and alienated two of his leagues top players. Even worse, you can almost be certain the players aren't signing another CBA until he agrees to let go of his judge/jury/executioner powers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad