Post-Game Talk: Tippett moisturizes Bouchard

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup this is the Chaisson we will see in the playoffs, he's a guy that picks it up for the bigger games. I'd have liked to see him moved up last night to get more minutes. Coaches need to take advantage when players are feeling it.

Haas has impressed me with his effort, and being relentless, but he's not close to having enough skill for production. he's a bit better than P Russel. trouble is a player like Haas can be dominant at lesser level of hockey but is just pretty much a deck chair at this level. I like the effort, but he doesn't have NHL skills.

Reactions: Porkleaker

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think it’s safe to assume we’ve seen the last of the DRY line. Been plenty of different scenarios where it could have been used and hasn’t been for whatever reason. Maybe, years from now, somebody will write a book and explain what the reasoning behind dismantling one of the highest scoring lines the team had had in years was.
Its damage control i think. If it gets united and it clicks then a lot more voices will be raised and questions asked re playins failure.
Success of DRY IMO could get Tippett fired so he is hoping other combos click so people forget it even existed. Playins loss to CHI is still fresh in everyones minds.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
Haas has impressed me with his effort, and being relentless, but he's not close to having enough skill for production. he's a bit better than P Russel. trouble is a player like Haas can be dominant at lesser level of hockey but is just pretty much a deck chair at this level. I like the effort, but he doesn't have NHL skills.
I like Haas also for his speed but what really impressed me is that he is a smart player. Rarely do you see him throw the puck away or make bad decisions with the puck. Coach knows exactly what he gets with him. Agreed his skills are limited but he's not hurting the team with his minutes either. Not with this current roster we have anyway. Huge upgrade on Turris who brings absolutely nothing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You have to remember 1, Yamamoto is not the PPG player he was last year. 2, He gets ZERO minutes of PP time. Even with his start to this season he’s over a 40 point pace in a normal year. 40-50 points with no PP time is very good. Not to mention he’s a hound on the puck.

You dog Yamamoto for playing with Draisaitl? How about RNH playing with Mcdavid? He has 7! 5v5 points this year, that is horrendous. Yamamoto has 9 and brings way more to the game when he’s not producing then RNH.

I’m not sounding the alarm because of the run they’ve been on, but a very good portion of that is because of how the PP has rebounded. No power plays last night, means no goals.

Yamamoto might get a bridge deal after this season for 3-4M, people want to pay RNH 7+ for even less 5V5 production.

Yama is not on pace for over 40pts. Not sure how you arrived at that. he has 11 pts and two of those are empty nets. Another an own goal. He's even had that fortune in his pt totals.

I do critique Nuge often for having only 7EV pts. I did again last night. Its horrendous.

Agreed that Yama is bringing more to the table, EV, than RNH is. But even Kahun has 8EV pts. In his first stint here.

Anwyay I'm just responding to the posts out of courtesy. I'm fine with dropping this topic for now.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yama is not on pace for over 40pts. Not sure how you arrived at that. he has 11 pts and two of those are empty nets. Another an own goal. He's even had that fortune in his pt totals.

I do critique Nuge often for having only 7EV pts. I did again last night. Its horrendous.

Agreed that Yama is bringing more to the table, EV, than RNH is. But even Kahun has 8EV pts. In his first stint here.

Anwyay I'm just responding to the posts out of courtesy. I'm fine with dropping this topic for now.
You hate on Yam way too much

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Its damage control i think. If it gets united and it clicks then a lot more voices will be raised and questions asked re playins failure.
Success of DRY IMO could get Tippett fired so he is hoping other combos click so people forget it even existed. Playins loss to CHI is still fresh in everyones minds.

If it clicks then good things happen, Tippett tried it for like 1 shift I think and can go back and say "It didn't work" but really it's just sabotage and arrogance at this point. Fire Tippett into the sun!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What is going to keep Haas with regular NHL work is his skating ability, penalty killing, and smart play with and without the puck. His lack of scoring will likely never move him past the 4th line other than spot duty, but many others have made a nice career out of a skill set like that, including his own coach.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What is going to keep Haas with regular NHL work is his skating ability, penalty killing, and smart play with and without the puck. His lack of scoring will likely never move him past the 4th line other than spot duty, but many others have made a nice career out of a skill set like that, including his own coach.

I like Haas, but virtually no production from this player could be expected. yeah Tippett wasn't much but he played 700games and had a long career. Haas is just another throw it against the wall and hope it sticks addon. He's doing everything he can, but he's more comparable to P Russel. Both are North South players that don't hurt you, but they are limited.

Haas is also 29, so he's just here for a cup of coffee. the type older vet you hope can rise to this level for a season or two.

I mean this is a thrilling time for Gaetan Haas. and something he can tell his grandkids about. But theres nothing too thrilling in watching a player bang pucks into goalie pads. he has no hands.

Trouble is we seem to have a lot of these players on taxisquad that are just bottomsix fills. We have few players/prospects in org we can pencil in topsix. Hopefully Holloway.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like Haas, but virtually no production from this player could be expected. yeah Tippett wasn't much but he played 700games and had a long career. Haas is just another throw it against the wall and hope it sticks addon. He's doing everything he can, but he's more comparable to P Russel. Both are North South players that don't hurt you, but they are limited.

Haas is also 29, so he's just here for a cup of coffee. the type older vet you hope can rise to this level for a season or two.

I mean this is a thrilling time for Gaetan Haas. and something he can tell his grandkids about. But theres nothing too thrilling in watching a player bang pucks into goalie pads. he has no hands.

Trouble is we seem to have a lot of these players on taxisquad that are just bottomsix fills. We have few players/prospects in org we can pencil in topsix. Hopefully Holloway.
Yes, if we fill/improve some other holes, having a Haas as a 4th line centre really becomes academic, and the lack of scoring much less concerning.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I don't think Haas was ever much of a big offensive threat in the Swiss league either. He produced more there (of course) but his strengths are what you've pointed out. The guy is so smart with and without the puck and while he doesn't produce much he is sneaky talented when in the right spot. I can see him doing well with better bottom 6 players. I'm hoping they re-sign him for next year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You hate on Yam way too much

He is particularly tough on Yams and Nuge IMO, that said I am a fan of those 2 and Drai (I really don't "hate" anyone on our team) and can say that all 3 could've been better last night and on many nights this season. With Yamamoto, his effort is never the question, it is just physics. Every time that he has a rough stretch and isn't winning battles it tends to lead to concern that he might not be cut out to go 100% for every game for a full season.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Love me some Haas.

He plays the role well. Takes a bazillion defensive zone draws and has only been on the ice for a single goal at 5v5 so far.

He's doing what Turris and Sheahan were supposed to do.

Yep, he's always busting his ass out there, by far one of my favorites in the bottom 6.

Reactions: TB12

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Love me some Haas.

He plays the role well. Takes a bazillion defensive zone draws and has only been on the ice for a single goal against at 5v5 so far.

He's doing what Turris and Sheahan were supposed to do.

We just need him to stay healthy. He's been very good for us when he's been available to play.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The title of this thread still bothers me.:eek:

3968BADE-3ED0-41E7-BC35-7660574C7029.gif

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I understand we were ready for a loss after a great run, I understand Toronto actually did well to keep us to the outside. I get that McD and Drai cannot be great every game, and that especially Drai can go through a mini slump every year prior to then becoming God-like.

I just hate cookin all day a great meal for the family, we all get ready for a 5 pm start, Chris Cuthbert is callin the game, excited all week, and we lay an egg. Why can’t we lay an egg on a Wed night 8 pm game we would walk away from after the first?

I know, whiny whiny whiny. And I know, we actually played “ok” and not horrible. But...but...(sigh)

This team rarely misses an opportunity to embarrass their fans. I am still shocked it didn't happen against Calgary.

Toronto is a bad matchup for us. They put us to sleep on a Saturday night so kudos to that.

I wonder if the team will wake up next game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad